Updating echoMAP 73sv to 2017 maps. Saying "not enough memory"

• Reef W

I purchased the 2017 map updates and downloaded them to my SD card with Garmin Express. When I insert the SD card into the unit it detects that there is a map upgrade on there but when I go to apply it it says “not enough memory for the built-in map upgrade”. I backed up my user data and deleted it from the unit but still get the same message. Has anybody else ran into this? I don’t see anything else that can be removed from the unit itself. The SD card itself is a 32GB card with ~22GB free so I wouldn’t think it’s talking about that. I have to updated to the latest OS version yet, is that required first?

Reef W

I figured it out, I need to update the software first. I’m still on 3.40 I think.

I found the release notes and it says:

Changes made from version 3.80 to 4.10:
    Added support for 2017 US mapping. For 2017 LakeVu mapping, use the Fishing Chart to view fishing contours and the Navigation chart to navigate.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I believe it likes the 16gb card but you can use a 32gb just have to format the card to “fat32” format. Google 73sv sd card size and a bunch of stuff from BBC will come up.

Edit: that formating may only affect storing quick draw maps.

Reef W

I did not figure it out with updating the OS version. I called Garmin to confirm and after waiting 40 minutes was told the new maps don’t fit and you just can’t upgrade the built-in map, you have to leave it on the SD card and it will use it from there. That’s… pretty lame but if anybody runs into this I guess that’s the answer. roll

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Would you still be able to use the leftover memory from cards and do your own mapping, or not an option once the SD is formated to hold maps?

Reef W

Would you still be able to use the leftover memory from cards and do your own mapping, or not an option once the SD is formated to hold maps?

You download the map update with Garmin Express and it doesn’t do anything special to your SD card or delete anything, it just copies the map files to it. You can still use the card for all the usual things. It looks like the map files take up about 4GB if I’m looking at the right files.

Besides wasting a bit of space on your SD card it’s not too bad I guess. Main reason I’m not thrilled with it is because I need another SD card to have the updated maps on my second unit now.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good to know, thanks for post.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.