Unpopular Opinion

• ThunderLund78
    Participant

Per a convo going on in another thread:

I would not want to win the Lottery – at least nothing over a million.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I would not want to win the Lottery – at least nothing over a million.

A million after taxes and I had everything paid off would be plenty. I agree a massive jackpot and you will have a target on your back.

B-man
    Participant

Here’s a usual unpopular opinion of mine – I don’t think there’s other life out there – meaning other planets, galaxies, and solar systems. Obviously we can’t know for certain, but I think it’s incredibly improbable.

Our universe is so large our brains cannot even begin to imagine how many planets are out there.

This is some quick lunch time math, so please feel free to correct anything

People a lot smarter than I estimate that there are 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets…..

If life on a planet was a One in a BILLION chance….that would mean there are 10 MILLION planets with life….

If there was life on one in a Trillion planets….There’s life on A MILLION PLANETS out there.

Another factor to consider with intelligent life, is not if it’s out there, but WHEN.

We’ve been able to send communications and vessels into space for a blink of an eye in time…There could have been a planet relatively near to us with intelligent life sending signals 50,000 or 500,000 years ago….But neither of us will never have known it.

Sharon
    Participant
    Dakota County, MN

There could have been a planet relatively near to us with intelligent life sending signals 500,000 years ago….But we and they would never have known it.

This! Part of my skepticism of other life being out there is the problem with TIME. Time itself doesn’t work the same out in the depths of space as it does here on Earth. Gravity changes time, time and space are both relative, and even here on Earth we experience inconsistencies with perceptions and observations – now magnify that with the complexities of just how BIG the solar system is and it’s a recipe for unfathomable time paradoxes.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

There could have been a planet relatively near to us with intelligent life sending signals 50,000 or 500,000 years ago….But neither of us will never have known it.

I’ll go as early as 200 years ago! Or less.

I mean, Nancy Pelosi has been sending signals the last 90-ish years…wait, you said intelligent life…

B-man
    Participant

Sharon you said how BIG the solar system is…. (made me chuckle, but I know what you meant) mrgreen

There’s 200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 solar systems out there, we’re just one of the 200 billion trillion out there.

Do I believe we’ve been visited by aliens in our lifetime? Not really, but I wish it was true.

Do I believe there is intelligent life somewhere out there right NOW? I do. With the astronomical numbers of astronomy it seems impossible that there couldn’t be.

If there isn’t, what a literal waste of space….

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

People who leave :01 on the microwave

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Is this a opinion or a statement lol. Do those people suck or are they awesome

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Merican Eagle wrote:</div>

Maybe just people afraid to over cook there hot pocket.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

They’re awesome at sucking? Now that I think about it, the FW is a prime culprit of this…

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

They’re awesome at sucking? Now that I think about it, the FW is a prime culprit of this…

Mine to. Same with the kid. I barked at him for this a few days ago and he told me it made it easier to hit plus 30 seconds lol. He has as many dumb come backs as I always do.

Reef W
    Participant

Oh, I got a good one. There doesn’t need to be a zillion different rifle calibers and the world needs to retire some to help the never-ending availability issues.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Agree with that 100% Reef!!

Reef W
    Participant

Agree with that 100% Reef!!

Alright, who wants to kick off the holy war over what we keep and what gets the axe? lol

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Keep 9mm, 45, 30.06, 270. Not sure about the 6.5 and how I feel yet.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

6.5 Creedmoor is very overrated.

Reef W
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>

6.5 Creedmoor is very overrated.

Since this is unpopular opinion thread I’m going to say 270 win should not exist. It’s too close to 30.06 and uses a goofy diameter bullet that nothing else does. The 6.5 creedmoor has slightly over half the recoil energy of 270 and although it’s less energy delivered close it’s still plenty for the most common use of deer hunting and has more energy than 270 further than about 500 yards. If 6.5 creedmoor isn’t enough energy short distance then that’s what 30-06 is for.

edit: I remembered numbers wrong and 6.5 creedmoor is not “slightly” over half of recoil energy, it’s more like 65% of 270 it looks like.

ajw
    Participant

YouTube/Instagram hunting “influencers” are ruining western big game hunting

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Getting rid of defense mechanisms has never benefitted any society… ever.

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

Since this is unpopular opinion thread I’m going to say 270 win should not exist. It’s too close to 30.06 and uses a goofy diameter bullet that nothing else does. The 6.5 creedmoor has slightly over half the recoil energy of 270 and although it’s less energy delivered close it’s still plenty for the most common use of deer hunting and has more energy than 270 further than about 500 yards. If 6.5 creedmoor isn’t enough energy short distance then that’s what 30-06 is for.

edit: I remembered numbers wrong and 6.5 creedmoor is not “slightly” over half of recoil energy, it’s more like 65% of 270 it looks like.

I’m glad that’s an unpopular opinion. I’ve taken a lot of deer, antelope and hogs with a .270 over the past 30 years.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I agree there are far too many calibers for rifles. It would be better for supply if they were reduced, but there are a lot of other weapons out there that people would be pretty pissed about if they could no longer find ammo.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

the world only needs:

.22LR, 9mm, .45ACP, 5.56, .300BLK (guilty pleasure), .308, .270, 300WM and 50BMG.

Yes, I left lever and revolver calibers out…welcome to the 21st century.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Add in .223 and .556 coffee

-J.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

9mm but no .357 magnum?

…kids these days roll

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Alright, who wants to kick off the holy war over what we keep and what gets the axe?

Well, I guess you guys already know how I feel about the ol’ .30-30. devil devil devil jester jester jester

A few years back, one of the outdoor magazines had an article that went something like, “The 20 worst deer cartridges ever.”

I talked to the editor at a trade show and I asked him if the devil made him publish that. He laughed and said he’s never seen reader mail, emails, social media posts, etc on any article before or since. He said that there wouldn’t have been a bigger response if that hunting magazine had published an article advocating for hunting to be banned.

Half the readers wanted the author flogged in the public square at noon for putting their favorite cartridge on the list, and the other half totally agreed with the article for various reasons.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I’ve shot many deer with a 30.30 1 shot 1 kills, but I prefer my .270. I also have the 30.06 but that’s a little harsh when my kills are typically within 70 yards. I’m going to say the 270 is the best all around caliber for any big game we see in the states. Speaking of that, I gifted my son my 270 because he knocked his deer down this year with out it taking another step, so I’m in the market for a newer higher end .270 but that’s another topic

mnfisherman18
    Participant

.270 is definitely my favorite Whitetail cartridge, props to Reef for embracing the topic and making me think twice about it.

B-man
    Participant

Solid Copper bullets chambered in .270 is my absolute go-to.

It will penetrate and kill all big game in the lower 48, has moderate recoil, shoots flat, has virtually 100% weight retention, crushes bones, non-toxic to humans and scavengers, is usually available, and doesn’t blow meat to smithereens waytogo

The entrance hole is a quarter inch wide, and the exit is usually the size of a nickel.

If there’s a downside to a solid copper .270 I’ve never found it lol

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Solid Copper bullets chambered in .270 is my absolute go-to.

It will penetrate and kill all big game in the lower 48, has moderate recoil, shoots flat, has virtually 100% weight retention, crushes bones, non-toxic to humans and scavengers, is usually available, and doesn’t blow meat to smithereens waytogo

The entrance hole is a quarter inch wide, and the exit is usually the size of a nickel.

If there’s a downside to a solid copper .270 I’ve never found it lol

I’m going to vote this to popular opinions

Karry Kyllo
    Participant

Here’s a usual unpopular opinion of mine – I don’t think there’s other life out there – meaning other planets, galaxies, and solar systems. Obviously we can’t know for certain, but I think it’s incredibly improbable.

But is life on another planet improbable? Attached is a photo taken by the Hubble telescope that shows 10,000 galaxies. Each galaxy contains 100 billion stars and each star has on the average one planet each. That’s 1,000,000,000,000,000 planets just in this small portion of the sky. To me it seems incredibly improbable that the Earth is the only planet with life on it.

Attachments:
    1. 10000-Galaxies-Hubble-Ultra-Deep-Field-2004_Each-Galaxy-Contains-at-Least-100-Billion-Stars-with-an-Average-of-One-Planet-Each.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 361 through 390 (of 431 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.