Tying spinners

• grizzly
    nebraska

Do you guys use fluorocarbon to tie up spinners or use mono. Fish LOTW with spinners a lot and with the stained water dont believe you need fluorocarbon but wanted everyone else’s thoughts if it is ever needed

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i have never even thought twice about mono or flouro on my spinner rigs. i have only jigged LOW but on the big muddy, fish don’t care. you losing fish?

B-man

Never use true fluorocarbon for spinners, Lindy’s, bobber fishing, etc….it sinks

Sinks=Snags

Or in the case of bobber fishing, your line sinking under the water between the float and your rod tip.

For spinner rigs, 14-20lb XT is tough to beat. You want something on the stiff side and not too light, or you will run into problems (mainly line twist). Err on the heavier side if pike are a common catch.

Deuces

14# vanish works great for waters with lots of northerns. I’m a big fan of spinners in general, especially on weedlines, but snakes are a real issue.

I’ll leave open water comments to others. Typically 8#xt gets my clear water stuff. IMO flouro does sink but its a negligible difference on spinner rigs.

Smellson

I use floro on my spinners strictly for abrasion resistance. 12lb minimum for me. The sinking/floating argument against floro is way overblown imo, especially in a spinner rig.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I use floro on my spinners strictly for abrasion resistance. 12lb minimum for me. The sinking/floating argument against floro is way overblown imo, especially in a spinner rig.

Ditto

grizzly
    nebraska

Thanks guys. That’s what I was trying to figure out

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Never use true fluorocarbon for spinners, Lindy’s, bobber fishing, etc….it sinks
    Sinks=Snags

x2

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Look up “crawler harness storage solution #281”

No need to make long leader rigs any more

Reef W

I use fluoro. I don’t see how the buoyancy of a few feet of line is going to make a difference with hooks, beads, and a spinner on the end.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Look up “crawler harness storage solution #281”

No need to make long leader rigs any more

This is a great idea and I still plan on doing this. Also, if you do use flouro and are worried about the sinking just reel up a little more

Deuces

Just make mine on the water, takes maybe 2 minutes. Fine tune as you see fit that very second. And no need to store all the stupid things!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Just make mine on the water, takes maybe 2 minutes. Fine tune as you see fit that very second. And no need to store all the stupid things!

best $13 i have ever spent and one of my favorite purchases of all time fishing related. I am a crawler harness hoarder and will probably never even get to use all of them

Tom schmitt

I thought mono only floated for a while and after a while it would sink?

grizzly
    nebraska

We pull spinner’s up here at 1-1.2 mph and wouldn’t think that they would have time to sink to much. But I could be wrong

buschman
    Pool 2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>
    Sinks=Snags

x2

X3
    Berkley XT 12 lb test this stuff is just as strong as flouro

buschman
    Pool 2

I also run PP/braid on all my rods. The little bit of stretch is not a bad thing from mono.

snelson223
    Austin MN

I have tied up using mono or fluoro haven’t noticed much difference in getting snags.

You definitely don’t need a long snell for LOTW. 24 to 30″ would be fine for there.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

For guys that are using mono, I have a question. I was lindy rigging last week over sand and occasionally picking up zebra mussels. I had a 6’ leader of 6 lb fluoro. Would mono make that big of a difference? Just curious

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

For guys that are using mono, I have a question. I was lindy rigging last week over sand and occasionally picking up zebra mussels. I had a 6’ leader of 6 lb fluoro. Would mono make that big of a difference? Just curious

Yes mono would help you keep your hook off of the bottom if you’re moving slow (.5mph or less).
    For spinners I tie my own and use flouro 99% of the time. Line bouancy doesn’t matter much once you start getting up towards 1mph.

I think more bottom contact problems with rigs or spinners are caused by a lapse in boat control than anything. A consistent speed and going straight is more crucial than the type of terminal tackle used.

mojogunter

About 12-15 years ago I spend several winter evenings tying up spinner rigs and live bait snells. I used vanish line and ended up with about 25-30 rigs tied up. When the season started one after the other would snap when I would get a good sized fish on. After about the 8th break off I mentally snapped grabbed my knife and cut every remaining snell left. I am sure they had to improve that vanish crap by now, but I will never give it another chance. In fact I have only tried flouro a couple times since then for salmon.

14# vanish works great for waters with lots of northerns. I’m a big fan of spinners in general, especially on weedlines, but snakes are a real issue.

I’ll leave open water comments to others. Typically 8#xt gets my clear water stuff. IMO flouro does sink but its a negligible difference on spinner rigs.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

We fish were there are lots of northern pike.
    I use wire.

James Almquist

About 12-15 years ago I spend several winter evenings tying up spinner rigs and live bait snells. I used vanish line and ended up with about 25-30 rigs tied up. When the season started one after the other would snap when I would get a good sized fish on. After about the 8th break off I mentally snapped grabbed my knife and cut every remaining snell left. I am sure they had to improve that vanish crap by now, but I will never give it another chance. In fact I have only tried flouro a couple times since then for salmon.

I had a 1000 yard spool of Berkly XL 6lb that was all bad. Every rod was spooled up with the same trash. I never buy big spools anymore for that reason. Missed out on one of the best openers due to my line breaking on every nice fish.

brentbullets

I have tied all my spinner and slow death rigs for years with no issues. Usually pretty clear water until the wind blows then it’s to the mud and walleyes and then I don’t thick it would really matter about visibility.

Karry Kyllo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Craig Sery wrote:</div>

Yes mono would help you keep your hook off of the bottom if you’re moving slow (.5mph or less).
    For spinners I tie my own and use flouro 99% of the time. Line bouancy doesn’t matter much once you start getting up towards 1mph.

I think more bottom contact problems with rigs or spinners are caused by a lapse in boat control than anything. A consistent speed and going straight is more crucial than the type of terminal tackle used.

Going straight may be perfect in the ideal world but varying speeds and directions often triggers bites.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.