TV options?

• Tom Anderson
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

Does anyone have any recommendations on which kind of streaming TV options would be the best? We are going to get rid of the dish, have 2 smart TVs so I think streaming would be our best option. Any opinions? Football and baseball games are important, kids shows and the shows that air on Discovery are a must. Thanks in advance!

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I am not sure what would be best for you. But I would like to find some kind of streaming option for hockey. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Participant
    Blaine, mn

streaming hockey, use NHL center ice, that is a good one, you can watch almost every game in the season for every team.

as far as tv goes, I have a friend who uses a ruku ( not sure of the spelling) and then gets subscriptions to like netflix and hulu or something like that

Charles
    Participant

Roku however you are going to have to pay for some of the stuff.

I think hulu for some of the other stuff.

rschmidty
    Participant

Sling TV is a no-contract option streamed through a Roku. Gives you 20 channels are so like HG TV, ESPN, etc..

Something like $20 a month but you would have to purchase a Roku device

I’m not into the different sports packages, but if you are able to get any sporting packages you could play on your computer, get a chromecast and simply stream it through your TV. It’s like a USB stick that plugs into your HDMI port. You simply have to press a button on your browser and any video you play on your phone or computer can be played on the TV. It’s like $35.

We have Direct TV but when our contract is up, I will most likely switch to Sling TV. We already have Netflix. If you have Roku, you probably don’t need the chromecast.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Thank you Shane on the hockey tip.

wimwuen
    Participant
    LaCrosse, WI

If you want live streaming, then Slingtv is the only way to go. Hulu shows some shows the day after they air. I use ROKUs and have both HULU and NETFLIX. I go through streaks where I use one more than the other, but at this point could probably drop HULU. I also stream video to my tv from my android phone using one of two methods. 1. The ROKU will stream some of the stuff, like anything from youtube and most web videos.
    2. I can just cast my phone screen to the tv using the chromecast, for example, I use this for the AMC app.

On the ROKU, you can get apps for a lot of channels, just make sure to do it before you cancel your cable, as they require an email confirming subscription. History has an app for example. You can stream the HD versions of shows the next day on it.

dhpricco
    Participant
    Twin Cities, MN

I recently cut the cord with dish and went to an antenna/streaming option. I mainly wanted to make sure I could get FSN and Discovery and random other sports channels. I purchased a $15 indoor antenna from best buy and that will pick up the main 4,5,9, and 11 in HD as well as a bunch of other random channels like 45 and Ion all for free. Took me a while to figure out the correct spot to locate this to get 11 to come in so if you have issues keep moving it. I already had coax hookups in the rooms I have TV’s so I just had to buy a splitter and hook it up to the antenna and then one end went into the TV and the other went into the wall to spread the feed to the other TV’s. For a couple weeks this is all we had and it actually worked just fine.

We ended up purchasing an amazon fire stick for our main TV so that we could stream on it. The new Roku stick is supposed to be better, but the amazon stick was cheaper so figure why not try it. If you get the amazon fire stick and have amazon prime ($100 a year, free 2 day shipping) you get a boat load of content through prime tv similar to Netflix. The streaming option that we are using and that I am happy with so far is called PlayStation Vue. Here is the link to the website :https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/ You do not need to own a PlayStation to get this to work, but if you have one that is an option for one of the devices to use to stream it. On the website in the upper right hand corner change the location to your correct zip code and it should populate the packages to chose from. I have the core slim $35 a month package and you get a good amount of sports and I think about 70 channels total. You are able to stream on up to 5 devices at the same time and can record things for up to 28 days, you can pause/rewind/ and fast forward. So far this has been sweet and I have not had any issues. I have Century Link for internet as well. If you surf through the PlayStation website it should go over all the requirements needed like minimum internet speed for the service to work. This was a little more expensive than sling TV , but seems like you get a ton more channels so if the prices stay the same I think it is worth it.

So all in all I think I am paying $35 for PlayStation Vue and about $30 for Centry Link. That combined is cheaper than what I was paying for Dish and so far I have not noticed a difference.

Good luck let me know if you have any questions, I by no means am an expert.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Participant
    Blaine, mn

Thank you Shane on the hockey tip.

your welcome, if you find someone to go in on the price of the nhl package it don’t cost as much, but you can stream hockey to your tv, computer, tablet and even phone

muskie-tim
    Participant
    Rush City MN

Thanks for the information about Paystation VUE that may be an option for us. Like the fact that Fox Sports North is included in the $35 package. Hate to miss IDO.

Tom Anderson
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

Thanks everybody for your input!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.