Turtle Flambeau

• bigpike
    Participant

Fished the Donner Tourney yesterday. What a fun tournament! What a great lake!! The bite was rather slow but the crappies we caught were quality. Some real big walleyes brought in on the board. I learned alot yesterday but the biggest thing I took away is this is one body of water I will be spending more time on in the future. Sorry I dont have more pictures my phone was very low on battery so I saved it for emergencies

Attachments:
    1. 20160130_154620.jpg

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

I fish it every opener and have for the last twelve years. Usually once or twice a year after. High walleye population but usually small. They catch bigger fish thrum the ice.
    Favorite place to fish in WI

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Ah…yes, the TFF! Fished there many years ago a handful of times. Mostly for muskie. Was then mostly “cigar” walleyes. Still is? Most of the “anglers” then, was fishing was a good excuse to be up there to hide and drink! I had a cabin just out of Mercer for 20+ years. Big Martha lake, lots of little muskies but lots of fun. Day, night could be better…hawg wobblers over cabbage beds/edges was heart stopping! Lots of memories and strange experience’s around Mercer. All the late nights at all the establishment’s. Johnie’s, Round the Corner, The Antlers, Heart of The North, L&N’s Cozy Den? Anchor? The Great Northern,Ruggers Landing,and many more that don’t quite come to mind after all the years and the blurry recollections I have of that hidden gem of a “fishing” destination!

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

There is no minimum size limit or slot on the flowage. I wouldn’t classify them as “cigar” any more but I do remember that. Great smallmouth fishing now also. Panfish have really boomed up there also

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I fish it every opener and have for the last twelve years. Usually once or twice a year after. High walleye population but usually small. They catch bigger fish thrum the ice.
    Favorite place to fish in WI

Are you going out there this Saturday (weekend)? Just curious. Make sure to report if you do.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

I am. 12th opener up there.

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

I am. 12th opener up there.

Enjoy! I’ll be up there a couple of weeks after you.

HRG

bigpike
    Participant

Based on the lake I fish 30 miles south, the crappies should be moving up shallow, the walleyes will be long spawned out and in full recovery. Its lining up very good for you guys. Good luck!

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

Trying for crappie this aft. Hope your right

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

Had a good opener. 14 walleye, 2 crappie and a nice pike.
    Nothing big but decent action

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Had a good opener. 14 walleye, 2 <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie and a nice pike.
    Nothing big but decent action

I was just starting to wonder how you (and any others) did out there. Sounds like you did fairly well. Curious, where do you access from? I used to go out of Fisherman’s Landing and occasionally Murray’s Landing.
    Travis, You’ve been going for 5 years now? Were you 12 years old then, because it looks like you and your group aren’t even old enough to drink now (legally)! I’m just poking fun. Your trip is coming up soon? Reminds me of my group of buddies that would go up there every fall, last weekend of September. This was some 25-30 years ago. One of the guys parents had a Grand place on Owl lake, maybe 20 miles north of the flowage. Close to the UP. Great memories, we were young and free (the time we spent there). Good luck on your upcoming trip and stay safe.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

another opener is upon us. heading up tomorrow. staying on lake bastine. heard a disturbing figure from solid sources that 6000 walleye were taken by spear during the spawn. huge body of water but still.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

a year late but we usually put in at donners or the old fort flambeau ramp
    I’ve been fishing opener with Don Pemble for over 15 years. not much of the flowage I haven’t seen. sometimes we fish old channels, sometimes wind blown wood and rock shoreline. no rhyme or reason. we usually do well due to Don’s knowledge of the water.

Hot Runr Guy
    Participant
    West Chicago, IL

a year late but we usually put in at donners or the old fort flambeau ramp
    I’ve been fishing opener with Don Pemble for over 15 years. not much of the flowage I haven’t seen. sometimes we fish old channels, sometimes wind blown wood and rock shoreline. no rhyme or reason. we usually do well due to Don’s knowledge of the water.

Safe travels, we’ll be up week #2.

HRG

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.