Turkey Tips

• tim hurley
    Participant

Seems a little late to ask, but people try new things, its fresh in your mind what worked a what did not. I would like to know how to get nice looking and tasting skin w/o a lot of basting.
    I have been brining dry and wet that has worked well-have heard also to not buy a bird bigger than 13#s, if you need lots of meat to buy 2. We might even cook another in a few weeks, love it, with gravy and stuffing-why can’t stuffing be healthy?
    Thanks

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

We put orange slices throughout the turkey this year and it was actually very tasteful. Never had that before.

brewerybuilder
    Participant

Deep fry…you won’t get better skin!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

No basting here. I follow Alton Brown’s recipe.

If you want the skin really crisp, peel it off before the resting step.

I followed this twice and both birds have been great!

Attachments:
    1. 20201126_162636.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Oh, the first 30 minutes are really smoky.

fishingchallenged
    Participant

Turkey skin really isn’t as good as chicken skin. So keep your expectations in check. I did mine spatchcocked this year and cooked it 1hr at 180F for high smoke and then bumped it up to 350F to cook fast, keep it moist and crisp up the skin. Very happy with the results.

marendt
    Participant
    Lake City, MN

Buy the oven cooking bag for turkeys. It’s a couple bucks. Can’t mess it up. Comes out moist and perfect every time.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Butter medallions under the skin. Mix all your favorite garlic and poultry herbs into room temperature butter. Roll in Saran Wrap to make a log and refrigerate. Cut the log into thin slices and slide under the breast skin.

tim hurley
    Participant

If I do spatchcock I’m throwing it on the grill-which could happen. The bag takes the gamble out of it, the older I get the less I like the gamble, so the bag is coming. Like the butter medalian idea plus Dave is helping me figure out my HB problem so thats good…
    Alton wants me to brine in a GALLON of veggie stock, hmmm….
    Keep the tips coming, I like to cover the breast in foil for part of the cooking, some say do this in the begining some say the end. Some will marinate in Yogurt,
    yogurt guys and gals!

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

You guys do know that poultry skin is bad for you right!! coffee devil whistling

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

You guys do know that poultry skin is bad for you right!! coffee devil whistling

I never eat it. I tried my mom’s old technique of cooking breast down and that also resulted in super moist white meat.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I bought a small 12 pound bird this year since it was just 3 of us eating it. I slow cooked it in my horizontal rotisserie like I would with a whole chicken. Beats making it in the oven, I’ll tell you that. The problem is that a bigger one won’t fit.

I have heard that dunking one in a deep fryer works pretty good too. Now only if a wild turkey could taste this good.

riverruns
    Inactive

Try boiling it in strait water with nothing added for seasoning.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

We brine it for a week before deep-frying.. then deep-fry and have no left overs. Always a big bird

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.