Tullie expert advice needed.

• tim hurley
    Participant

When do these guys really get going? I tend to think the longer you wait the better, we went last year in the begining of April and did very well. Think waiting that long will not work well this year, my friends neighbor will let us use his cabin but he would like dates. Are those fish responding to light? Water running in to holes, temp.??

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

My expert advise on Tullie fishing is this: Don’t get that fish smell all over you cloths and then leave those cloths at the bottom of the cloths hamper for you wife to find a week later. That does not end well !!! Those things really stink !!!!

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Far from an expert but my buddies call me the tullibee master because every time we go LOW I catch a ton of those things and they rarely do. Ive caught them generally better later in the winter.

Dylan Welle
    Participant

I generally won’t start until march when there are more bug hatches. I want to try it a little sooner this year; they’re smacking the tullies and whitefish on leech lake right now off of a mayfly hatch. Check it out on Tulibee takedown MN on facebook.

Gino
    Participant
    Grand rapids mn

I’ve had good luck catching them anytime between now and ice out. I’m going out on Saturday to get a pail of them for the smoker. I’ve had good luck with small white jigging rapalas.

tim hurley
    Participant

Keep the votes comming, hearing now ’till ice out, and wait ’till March. No dispute on the stink!

grpubl7
    Participant
    Central WI

The best tullibee fishing that I ever experienced was several years back on Mille Lacs towards the end of Feb. It was a night of the full moon withe the temp in the mid 20s and my dog and I took a 6 mile ride out on the lake at 0300hrs. We went to a spot where I’d seen a fellow yank out a number of them, just before dark. Took a GPS waypoint on that hole and easily got back within 10ft. By daylight, I had all of those stinky things I could hope for. Kept my 10 fish and they shut right off at daylight as I saw vehicles steaming onto the ice. These latecomers never had a clue what they missed before daylight. Small silver spoon and a minnow head seemed to work fine.

tim hurley
    Participant

Cool story, have never heard of them biting after sunset but of course that full moon was the thing.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Guys generally talk about later in the season, or after walleye closes. But I’ve had a lot of success catching them in January and February on LOW and Mille Lacs, just depends on the day. They are SO Good smoked, especially if you process them into a dip. Beats anything you can get at Morey’s…and I love everything at Morey’s rotflol

tim hurley
    Participant

Ok so what would a good day look like in Feb.? Sunny? Cloudy? Pressure? Thanks

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Ok so what would a good day look like in Feb.? Sunny? Cloudy? Pressure? Thanks

Can’t say I’ve chased them intentionally, so no idea. But usually if you are marking them, they will chase you up and down the water column, and occasionally they will do that and bite like mad.

tim hurley
    Participant

Could any of you Tullie guys look at a map and tell me if a spot might be good?

Francis K
    Participant
    Champlin, MN

On FB there is a group called Tullibee Takedown MN. Maybe check that out for info.

BrianF
    Participant

Tim, here’s an actual spot where we saw tons and caught a bunch. Look for spots like this and you’ll score. They will be up on the deep tip of the bar early in the morning, then they’ll swim off into the deep hole as the sun comes up high. Small, shiny flutter spoons tipped with a waxy will get them.

Attachments:
    1. 815AC1C1-9BDF-4D46-B465-7B2D6A5B007D.png

Gino
    Participant
    Grand rapids mn

This is one of my spots. Get tullibee and whitefish

Attachments:
    1. 98DC909D-ED05-4ACB-B981-2F96B4416A53.png

tim hurley
    Participant

Here is the area we might fish

Attachments:
    1. C0261382-B184-4C6B-9BAF-BF180507A7FB-scaled.jpeg

tim hurley
    Participant

Think my friend’s neighbor can let us access at 190th but from there we walk, my friend is in his 70s so we re not walking far! Looks tullish to me. Any spots stand out?

Gino
    Participant
    Grand rapids mn

Think my friend’s neighbor can let us access at 190th but from there we walk, my friend is in his 70s so we re not walking far! Looks tullish to me. Any spots stand out?

Attachments:
    1. DFC1D773-DE0C-4FDD-8760-99081A7DE79D.jpeg

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Make sure you and the old timer have cleats, after that rain it’s so damn slippery, my dog couldn’t walk on the lake last night

tim hurley
    Participant

Thanks guys-I’ll probably be wearing cleats this weekend. I’ll check that spot on the larger map.

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

That particular lake in your picture is a pretty low density population of tulibee. They’re coming back but from what I know you’d be better off on mille lacs

tim hurley
    Participant

Thanks Grub, might do a quick check out there and move on, we did well on Poke’ last year.

tim hurley
    Participant

OK Grub anything good on the North side of ML, walking distance from shore?

Aboxy17
    Participant

If you want something, even more, fun head up to the Vermillion/Ely area. I have run into some great white fish action up there while targeting walleye. They are very similar just a little bigger fish which makes it all the more fun.

tim hurley
    Participant

Pm me if you know of a walk out spot-Sounds great! Never caught one, they are supposed to be delicious too. Thanks

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

The simple answer is no.
    Unless you REALLY like walking!
    I’d look into going out of hunters point, agate bay, or the red door.
    All should have good roads plowed to tulibee waters. You want to get to the basin of the lake. 30ft or more.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Why would you walk out on Mille lacs? You can drive all over right now

tim hurley
    Participant

Not going right now, going in March, not usually a fan of driving out in March.
    March is very unpredictable so for us its better to just plan on walking-we walked last year and did pretty well.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Not going right now, going in March, not usually a fan of driving out in March.
    March is very unpredictable so for us its better to just plan on walking-we walked last year and did pretty well.

Figured you were taking advantage of the good bite and beautiful weather we have going now

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.