Tuffy water coming over motor

• bthess
    Participant
    Manly, IA

So love the boat just trying to work the details out with the boat. When I come off plane water comes up and over the motor no matter how slow I come off plane or what trim angle I do. I have a 1990 w/225 optimax on a jack plate. Trying to figure out if it is position on jack plate or is there any thing I am missing coming off plane? Thanks again for any suggestions great boat just trying to figure this out.

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

When comming off plane you will see the wave chasing the boat. at the point where it catches up to the motor give the boat some throttle and accelerate just enough to escape the wave, then slowly back off. Hope this helps.

Brian Hoffies
    Participant
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

When comming off plane you will see the wave chasing the boat. at the point where it catches up to the motor give the boat some throttle and accelerate just enough to escape the wave, then slowly back off. Hope this helps.

This is spot on, also you can install slpash guards like Wave Wackers, they will help some also.

bthess
    Participant
    Manly, IA

Agreed I have some splash guards my biggest fear is if water comes in the intake and sucks water is that possible? I have just heard about it and trying to minimize the risk by putting the jack plate in a better position. Thanks for the replys

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

Most motors have their intakes designed in a way as to not allow water into the motor with partial short term submersion. Take your shroud off and see how the air is routed from outside to the actual air intake inside and then how it’s baffled before it reaches the intake manifold. If water gets inside the shroud there are multiple drains allowing for escape.

iceman35
    Participant
    upstate New York

the jackplate has moved weight back in your boat… stern will sit down when slowing down… Great tip on gassing it a bit… when you come to a stop you may want to turn the boat around some to maybe miss the wave…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.