Tuffy x-170 experience

• FryDog62
    Participant

Anyone actually been in one yet? Heard from people that have “sat” in them in a show room, but would like to hear from those that trailered it, launched it, how you rigged it, how it goes into shallow waters, how it trolls, handles quartering in bigger waves, pros/cons, etc… Anyone?

big_head_basher
    Participant

interesting post. I would like to here info about them too.

wimwuen
    Participant
    LaCrosse, WI

There is a pretty good Tuffy following on http://www.walleyefirst.com

I did drive an x-170 and liked it, but it was nice weather so all I can really tell you is, it handles well and is pretty fast in normal river conditions.

TD Ramrod
    Participant
    Menomonie, WI

It’s a Tuffy it does it all well plus economical

FryDog62
    Participant

I would think the way the boat is designed that its very good for musky fishing, curious to hear if anyone has used it for other species – bass, walleye, etc.

wimwuen
    Participant
    LaCrosse, WI

I liked it because of the big deck. I spend a lot of time casting cranks on wing dams for eyes all summer so a deck is important to me. It’s not a trollers boat, but is serviceable.

I liked the narrower gunnels, I’m not a fan of the gunnels taking up so much room in boats that size, so that was a feature I found nice. This would be a great multi-species boat. Great for the river, not sure if it would be my ideal rig if I planned to do a lot of trolling, or fishing requiring 2-3 guys to stand all day.

This moves pretty good with a 50 on it, not sure how fast it went, but it felt like I was moving, I’d say maybe 33-35. To tell you the truth, I never looked at the gps.

FryDog62
    Participant

Thanks for your input, tell me more why you think it is just marginal as a trolling boat. Is it because it doesn’t track well, or wouldn’t cut through waves well, limited space for rod holders, etc. ?

iceman35
    Participant
    upstate New York

I would like one here in NY… boat and trailer only… rig myself… I got some great ideas for rigging! Looks like a great all around fishing boat…

FryDog62
    Participant

Chaz, I watched the video and it looks great but the bow did seem to bounce a little when cutting across even smaller waves. Wondering if a trolling motor (extra weight) on the bow would hold the nose down? Any idea how it would handle 3 footers?

chazthespaz
    Participant

I think some weight on the front would help, we also found that putting some wedges when mounting the motor helped out. Just bolting the motor to the transom didn’t allow us to trim the motor and get a better ride. I haven’t had a chance to run the boat in bigger waves but I have been told from customers that bought this model from me that it runs great.

iceman35
    Participant
    upstate New York

I would add a jackplate, might help performance and can be used for power pole. That etec 50 looks to be a good match for that boat. I’ve looked around on the web and the interior is a bit of a mystery, would like to see a short video tour of interior and compartments…
    terrova with I pilot be a nice touch too… After watching video about 8 times the 170 is back at the top of my list…

chazthespaz
    Participant

I have 2 X-170 boats in stock at blowout pricing. One with a 50hp Merc and the other is just boat and trailer. We can get you a new Merc or bring you own 30-50hp tiller and we can install it for you. You can see the boats at http://www.extrememarinesales.com

FryDog62
    Participant

I have 2 X-170 boats in stock at blowout pricing. One with a 50hp Merc and the other is just boat and trailer. We can get you a new Merc or bring you own 30-50hp tiller and we can install it for you. You can see the boats at http://www.extrememarinesales.com

Chaz, wondering if you have any 1760’s in stock – I’m possibly in the market for a capless “GC” side console? Maybe this year or next – new or used is a possibility – but would really like to see one first.

chazthespaz
    Participant

Sent you a message frydog, hope we can find something for you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.