Tuffy 1890 with 115?

• JAnderson
    Participant

I need to know….what would performance be on an 1890 non-tiller with a 115? Is it totally out of the question? The boat weighs 1600 lbs.

The tiller model is rate only to 90hp but the non-tiller is up to 200. How are people able to use only 90hp with the tiller but need 150-200 on the non-tiler?

Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciate as I can get a steal of a deal on this boat. I just want to make sure it is what I want it to be. I will not be able to test drive it….

Dean Marshall
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I would suggest that you contact Kirt Hedquist who owns this hull and knows Tuffy as well as anyone.

Will it work as a solo or light weight load ? Yes, but I believe you will have nothing but regrets if you do. Nothing against the boat or motor, just far less than ideal should you look to fish heavy or travel distance in big water.

JAnderson
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Dean.

That is kind of what I was afraid of. When you say fish heave and travel distances are you saying that my top end will be disappointing? or will I have trouble getting on plane with 115?

I will mostly be fishing with 2-3 in the boat…on the rare occasion with 4 but maybe once per summer. I am mostly concerned about getting up on plane and moving vs. top speed.

JAnderson
    Participant

Also…how are people able to get away with a 90 on the tiller version?

Dean Marshall
    Participant

fishing heavy & big water is in the aspect of total weight in the boat and having enough torque to power up & down through the big waves. Again, I am not a specific 1890 expert, but I know one of the long time tuffy guys will chime in on their take. Best of luck either way !

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

No Tuffy, but I can help you compare.
    I have 1790 Skeeter (1300 Lbs). It came with an 2000 80 HP 4 stroke Yamaha.
    I could get about 35 MPH and yep, it took just a little to get on plane.
    I wanted a new motor so I put a 2014 75 HP on it. I still get 35 MPH top end and yep, a little slow oming out of the hole.
    I’m in no hurry so 35 MPH…fine with me.
    Another comparison – 1895 Yar-Craft with a 115 HP Yamaha.
    Will get about 35 MPH, maybe a bit more when trimmed up.
    A little slow getting out of the hole? Yep.

I’m guessing a 115 on an 1890 Tuffy @ 1600 Lbs will get you about the same.
    35 MPH top end and a little slow out of the hole.
    Hope that helps. Good luck!

wimwuen
    Participant
    LaCrosse, WI

You’d probably run right around 38-40 with a 115 on that rig. Hole shot might be iffy with a heavy load. I know that rig runs well with a 150, but is very slick with a 200. Your resale will be poor with a boat 85 hp under max, especially a big boat like that. Tuffy is a pretty good hull, but I wouldn’t want that boat with any less than a 150 on it, at least in a wheel boat.

JAnderson
    Participant

You’d probably run right around 38-40 with a 115 on that rig. Hole shot might be iffy with a heavy load. I know that rig runs well with a 150, but is very slick with a 200. Your resale will be poor with a boat 85 hp under max, especially a big boat like that. Tuffy is a pretty good hull, but I wouldn’t want that boat with any less than a 150 on it, at least in a wheel boat.

Understandable. Thanks for the input.

Why are people able to give up so much horsepower for a tiller? Is the weight in the back end that much of a difference? I’m just not understanding how this boat can run with 90 tiller and needs 150 for wheel! How would the 90 even get it up on plane?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Most guys who run tillers don’t have any yearning to be flying so fast a june bug becomes an object capable of decapitation.

Karry Kyllo
    Participant

A Mercury 115 with Command Thrust would get you better hole shot than a standard 115 if you are going the Mercury route and with the larger lower unit and prop, performance may even be acceptable. Personally I’d get something closer to the rated HP.

Dean Marshall
    Participant

Why are people able to give up so much horsepower for a tiller? Is the weight in the back end that much of a difference? I’m just not understanding how this boat can run with 90 tiller and needs 150 for wheel! How would the 90 even get it up on plane?

First off prop will overcome most hole shot issues, secondly, coast guard regs are not negotiable for HP ratings, and 3rd, we are assuming the hull is the same on the tiller model as the wheel model. It may or may not be the same.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

J, you said you could not take it for a test ride? If thats the case just walk unless the deal is so hot you can trade the motor up to a bigger one.

It’s 2016, anybody who wants to sell a boat will find a way for a test drive.

JAnderson
    Participant

J, you said you could not take it for a test ride? If thats the case just walk unless the deal is so hot you can trade the motor up to a bigger one.

It’s 2016, anybody who wants to sell a boat will find a way for a test drive.

That’s the way I’m leaning now. Just don’t want to be disappointed. It’s a 2006 brand new that’s never left the dealer yard or even had a motor hung on it. I was hopeful hoping to get a nice fiberglass boat in my price range but may have wait until my next boat. I’d hate to do this and not have what I want. Thanks for all your input! Still may opt for the 150 if the real decision maker gives me the ok.

JAnderson
    Participant

First off prop will overcome most hole shot issues, secondly, coast guard regs are not negotiable for HP ratings, and 3rd, we are assuming the hull is the same on the tiller model as the wheel model. It may or may not be the same.

I’m almost certain it’s the same hull on both the tiller and non.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

The hull is the same standard and tiller. It first came out in ’06 and around ’08-’09 they made some tweaks to help with significant lift and porpoise issues. At a minimum an untouched ’06 would need trim tabs either aftermarket or glassed in during a trip back to the factory.
    A 115hp motor probably wouldn’t get it out of the water as well, and this hull has a large bass-style performance pad. (The 90hp tiller never really gets all the way up on it.) As a result it runs best wide open with the 200hp.
    For the same price, I’d look for a nice used rig rather than underpowering this one.

castle-rock-clown
    Participant

I run a 1760 Tuffy Osprey with a 150 Merc Verado and get 50mph with full load of fuel and 2 big guys and coolers and tackle. A 115 two stroke is marginal at best, 115 four stroke would be a dog. 90s are on tillers for liability safety reasons that I don’t agree with. CG and lawyers don’t belive tiller steering is as safe as a wheel.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.