TUCR Commander owners….

• icefisherman
    Participant
    MN

The Commander is the only TUCR “stock” rod left on the list that I still need to purchase. I usually go for the 32″ split grip on my rods because of their versatility. So far that has held true for the other rods in the line-up (other than the Maestro of course), but my question for all you Commander owners…What size did you go with, preferences on grip (i.e. slit grip or the new 8″ grip), the target species of fish you bought it for, etc..? What size and grip would you recommend? I know I can call TUCR and they will help me from start to finish, but thought some of you proud owners may help with my decision. I have been waiting for pictures, but I totally understand that the guys at TUCR are too busy building rods to fill our orders! Way more important than a few pictures. Will be placing another order in the next month or two, just trying to do some homework on the rod before I buy it. My target species with the rod will be aggressive walleye in depths anywhere from 10fow to 60fow. Thanks in advance for your help.

tucrs
    Participant
    NW Metro

Personally… and I know my opinion may be slightly biased.
    I really like a 32″ split grip Commander for in the house and a 38″ 8″ straight handle for outside.

As far as pictures go we are working on that. We also recently just moved locations to help with everything.

Thank you, everyone for their support of us this year.

eyecatchum
    Participant
    Milwaukee WI

I purchased a commander this year, but unfortunately only got to use it for one weekend. I went 35″ (which I have on all my TUCRs), for a couple reasons.

1) Im a pretty tall guy, so I like rods on the longer end of the spectrum. 35″ allows me to fish without kneeling, if I don’t feel like it.
    2) On the other hand, 35″ is still short enough to fish inside my portable. I have to have the holes positioned just right and tend to pistol grip the rod a little more, but its very doable.
    3) My hard case happens to be 36″, 35″ rods fit in there just perfectly with no risk of tip bending.

I went with a full cork handle on mine. I like split grips as well, so this was kind of a toss up, but I strapped a little larger reel (1500) on this rod to hold a little more, larger diameter line. The full cork handle seems a little more sturdy for this IMO.

As far as how the rod handles, I wasn’t fortunate to tie into anything that really tested the rod, but I can tell you how it fishes. I bought this rod for fishing #5&#7 jigging raps for larger walleyes, and it fits the bill PERFECTLY. It has plenty of backbone but still enough sensitivity for the lightest of bites. Its also is light enough to enjoy the fight of smaller fish. I did find that the rod was a little under powered for fishing #9s, but I kinda expected that. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Overall, the Commander is an awesome rod for fishing the larger baits and eyes of the ice fishing spectrum. Think Erie, Winnipeg, LOTW (the big ones) walleyes, and this is the exact rod you want.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I’m sure that when you call the order in, the guys at TUCR will make sure your getting what you want/ need either way.

bigstorm
    Participant
    Southern WI

I went with the straight handle 32″ and the wife went split handle 32″ (rod cases only hold 32″ rods).

I’ve used both and the only thing I notice is the split handle is a little lighter

icefisherman
    Participant
    MN

Thanks for the input guys. I am now leaning towards the 38″ w/8″ full cork handle. Bigger fish, bigger rod, right? This will be a hole-hopping rod anyway. I think this will be a great set-up for a 1000 series Shimano, with heavier line.

Congrats on the new location TUCR’s. You guys have earned your fan base with quality product, fair price, and excellent customer service.

Bigwalleye30
    Participant
    MN

Just got back from Winnipeg and got to try out my new commanders and I will say they are perfect for fishing the bigger lipless cranks you use up there (and for the big walleyes!). Didn’t even reach for my other rods, just alternated between the two I had just got. Mine are both 36″ with the 6″ cork grip. Went with 36″ just so they are the same length as all my others for when fishing in a shack. New TUCR for me is going to be a deadstick to round out my collection.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I just returned from LOTW and Lake Trout fishing and the Commander performed very well. I run a 36″ with the 8″ full cork handle and a Shimano 2500 CI4, very good balance. This rod works really well for Lake Trout too!

Attachments:
    1. Lake-tout-2.jpg

Tom Knous
    Participant

I was gifted a 32″ split grip commander from my wonderful fiancé for Christmas… And paired it with a 1000 series shimano ci4+ and absolutely love it! With the warm winter… I wasn’t able to use it on Erie like I had hoped.. But did get to try it out a few weekends on some smaller lakes and it got a workout on a few days limits worth of eyes in the 15-24 inch range … It’s surprisingly sensitive to detect those lite bites that I was able to try it out on! I’m only 6′ tall and it seemed to work well hopping holes mid day, yet it was short enough to use inside the two man when I was chilled … Good luck with your decision!

icefisherman
    Participant
    MN

So I pretended today that I too have a wonderful fiance and went for the 32″ split grip. She may be imaginary, but she loves me! Back to reality…my wife may or may not know about this purchase. Anyway, 32″ was my original thought for versatility (inside the house, or hole hopping). The rod will get more use this way. Was second guessing due to the fact that you sometimes lose a little workability with a shorter rod. Thank you for all of your help. Hopefully TUCR doesn’t come out with another rod anytime soon…my wallet hurts! Thanks again guys!

Josh Hugel
    Participant

Do you think a 32” commander would be okay for lake trout? I’m going up north Manitoba this January for lake trout and I will be bringing the 36 MH Jason Mitchell Mack rod, but would like to have a back up. Do you think it would hold up?

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

I really like a 32″ split grip Commander for in the house and a 38″ 8″ straight handle for outside.

Same. I’m really liking my new 38” with 8” handle for hole hopping. I own the 32” with the split handle but haven’t even strung it up this season because the 38” fits in my shack. I find that the 32” split feels great with a ‘pencil grip’ hold and the 38” 8” full handle feels best with an overhand hold. I just got back from three days on Red and used the 38” almost exclusively because the weather was nice outside and hole hopping was working great. I also hole hop with 32” rods. Really, the extra 6” doesn’t make a huge difference.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Participant
    Minnesota

I run both….. I have a 38″ Commander with an 8″ straight cork handle, and a 32″ with the Split grip.

In the shack, I run the 32″. When I am outside the 38″ is the way to go. The reason I went with the straight 8″ handle is because when I go to Winnipeg, Mille Lacs, LOW where I know the big fish are, you get more leverage on that straight handle.

Does that say the split grip isn’t as good? Nope not at all… The split grip performs just as good on big fish, but i feel the straight grip is easier fighting.

Thats just me.

Heck I liked that straight grip so much I even put it on my TUCR Deadstick I use in an IFishPro.

Jason Guthmiller
    Participant

I have a 32″ split grip paired with a okuma inspira 20b and it is the first rod I grab for eyes using everything from 3/16 oz spoons to #7 jigging raps it shines on every level. You will not be disappointed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.