TruFuel

• Dream’n
    Participant
    South St. Paul, Mn

Anybody here run Trufuel in their augers? I was thinking it would be very convenient yet a tad expensive. Thanks, just bought a new Strikemaster and debating on its first fill up.
    Bob Brandecker

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

My 15 year old strikemaster lazer calls for a 24/1 mix but a couple weekends ago someone had this same subject here on IDO and someone said you could easily burn the 40/1 so i bought a bottle at my local hardware store. My impressions were that my motor did not bog down at all and was very smooth. The biggest thing i noticed was i had virtually zero stinky exhaust which when i burn 24/1 with 92 Octane gas it really kicks out the blue smoke. I liked it a lot…

steuben1
    Participant
    Indiana

I also started using it this year in my Solo. No more gas cans for me. Ya, it’s more expensive, but so much easier. I don’t care about the extra cost. The auger runs better and does not put out as much smoke.

Thanks Andy for the heads up a few weeks ago.

Andy Fiolka
    Participant
    Boise, Idaho

I’ve been running the VP version for a couple seasons.

It’s substantially more money but not having to worry about ethanol, mixing oil, leaky gas cans, all worth it to me. It also has a long shelf life.

Like others have said, no smoke and no oily residue leaking out of the muffler. The premix cans typically have a higher octane rating (93-96) which I believe helps with starting on those bitter cold mornings.

Dream’n
    Participant
    South St. Paul, Mn

Thanks guys, I will be filling her up and starting her for the first time tonight!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

I run TruFuel. Have last two years or so. Expensive, but the container does not leak and it’s quality fuel so i don’t have to worry about any auger problems.

Captain Live2fish
    Participant
    Hayfield, MN

Where can buy this fuel? Mills fleet, ace hardware?

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I got mine at Home Depot, I don’t think FF carries it. Maybe Ace though.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

I buy mine at lowes. If they’re out i go to one of the local autoparts stores that carries it. Forgot their name though; but they are listed as a dealer on TruFuel’s website.

Captain Live2fish
    Participant
    Hayfield, MN

So I have older jiffy 3HP 10″ that requires 24/1 mix. The trufuel is a 40/1 mix? I should be able to use straight with a better performance running and help in the cold starts?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

They only make 40-1, 50-1, and Four Stroke.

I would assume the 4 stroke is just gas…So you could add oil to that and make it 24-1. Then just re-use the can or continue buying and mixing.

Another brand might make a 24-1 though.

rayc
    Participant
    ontario, canada, sault ste. marie

If my auger called for a 24:1 mixture i SUREly wouldn’t use a 40:1 or 50:1 mixture. You are shortening the life of your auger??

holmsvc
    Participant
    SE ND

I think running synthetic oil at 40:1 is fine. I used to run amsoil saber 80:1.

Phil Bauerly
    Participant
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I have ran this all season too. I think the convenience is well worth the extra few bucks. I don’t miss the red can sloshing around in the truck, and no gas on the hands might just mean more bites!

ozzyky
    Participant
    On water

I’ve been running my auger at 50-1 true fuel for a few years. No issues. Auger is 9 years old. Probably drill 500 holes a season through a foot of ice on average. Still on original plug too. Going to change after this season.

fisherman-andy
    Participant

Save yourself the hassle and gimmick and just run 89-92 octane gas w/Amsoil Saber. I dont even run non-oxy.

Not all oils are created equal, hence the myth of running a 40:1 vs 80:1 etc. Some folks like to think this as running only 2qts of oil in your car engine when the mfg’s ask you to run 4qts. Is it the same thing?

Ive been running Amsoil Saber 100:1 5yrs straight on my Solo lazer Pro. No issues at all, stored wet at end of every ice season and starts right up at start of season. I hear users running the typical factory recommended brand oil mix and seeing their augers have all sorts of starting and mechanical issues time after time. If ones still worried then you can mix the Amsoil Saber at your mfg’s recommendation.

holmsvc
    Participant
    SE ND

Save yourself the hassle and gimmick and just run 89-92 octane gas w/Amsoil Saber. I dont even run non-oxy.

Not all oils are created equal, hence the myth of running a 40:1 vs 80:1 etc. Some folks like to think this as running only 2qts of oil in your car engine when the mfg’s ask you to run 4qts. Is it the same thing?

Ive been running Amsoil Saber 100:1 5yrs straight on my Solo lazer Pro. No issues at all, stored wet at end of every ice season and starts right up at start of season. I hear users running the typical factory recommended brand oil mix and seeing their augers have all sorts of starting and mechanical issues time after time. If ones still worried then you can mix the Amsoil Saber at your mfg’s recommendation.

I ran premium gas and amsoil for 2 years before switching to Trufuel. My auger has started considerably better since making the switch.

milemark_714
    Participant

VP fuel and Trufuel is awesome if you have the extra cash.I used the VP on my old Lazer Pro,0 problem starting and very little exhaust goo.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Number one biggest rip off I’ve ever seen, if you can’t mix gas you shouldn’t be using motorized equipment of any kind.

dbright
    Participant
    Cambridge

+1

Kent Tau
    Participant

I cannot say how good it is. But I did try it after reading all the details. I did not notice anything different on my 1 year old solo lazer mag but i did get my non starting weed wacker to start in 10 degree temp.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Number one biggest rip off I’ve ever seen, if you can’t mix gas you shouldn’t be using motorized equipment of any kind.

+2
    pluss the waist of all those containers. That’s a huge concern for me bad as seeing all those 1pound propane tanks.

Andy Fiolka
    Participant
    Boise, Idaho

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Boss Hawg wrote:</div>

+2
    pluss the waist of all those containers. That’s a huge concern for me bad as seeing all those 1pound propane tanks.

With all due respect, this isn’t an issue of “not being able” to mix gas. If you like what you are using, congrats. Some of us find the ease and convenience of the various Premix fuels worth the extra money. Different strokes for different folks. waytogo

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

No disrespect or judgement intended Andy. Just my thoughts and concerns. If you believe the product is good and the convenience factor is what you like go for it.

Steve Thompson
    Participant
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Besides VP and Tru-Fuel, I’ve started running Husqvarna, Ethanol Free, 95 Octane, 50:1 Pre-Mixed Fuel at the recommendation of the small engine shop I go to.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/lubricants-fuels/2-stroke-pre-mixed-fuel-oil/

This is an older Strikemaster with the Tecumseh carb and occasionally need to have the diaphragm replaced. Even when I think I’m getting premium fuel with no Ethanol, guess what…no! I had some issues earlier this year and the small engine shop tested the fuel and discovered ethanol in it. $40 later again… and I now run ethanol free pre-mix.

Since switching to pre-mix, my auger has never ran as well or started as easy.

If you like mixing your own fuel, go for it. I’ll stick to the pre-mix.

holmsvc
    Participant
    SE ND

I’ve used the Husqvarana fuel as well works good.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

If you like the convenience, but not the price or the waste factor of disposable containers, here’s a way to have both.

Go to a camping store or online and buy a couple of those nifty “Sig Bottles”. They are an aluminum bottle that backpackers use to hold fuel for camp stoves. They have an o-ring that seals them tightly, so they are highly leak resistant. Make sure you get actual fuel bottles as there are copy cat bottles out there that are just water bottles.

Buy a half gallon of non-ox fuel and mix with your favorite brand of oil. Personally, for air cooled 2-strokers, I like a synthetic that I buy online, but whatever you want.

Mix and fill the bottles. Use a sharpie marker and duct tape and mark the contents clearly. Enjoy.

If you don’t use the fuel up in one season, dump it into the gas tank in your boat, car, whatever and burn it up.

I’ve been using these little Sig bottles for years because they are very handy for chainsaws and brush cutters when walking in to cut trails or whatever in a remote area. If you can burn through 2 Sig bottles of fuel a day in a chainsaw, you’re working pretty hard. I also like that unlike a regular gas can, they are as spill/leak proof as you can get. As with any fuel can, don’t leave them in a hot car.

BTW, the best way to make any 2 stroke engine start and run like a champ is not to putz with the fuel type, octane blend, etc. Do the carb settings! These little engines are not like your car or truck that adjusts itself. They need to be dialed in to the specific operating conditions. Temp, humidity and altitude all matter.

I can’t count the number of chainsaws, string trimmers, blowers, and outboards I’ve “fixed” for people just by tuning the high, low, and idle settings. It’s not hard, look on YouTube for a vid.

Grouse

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

If you use good synthetic oil like Amzoil and fresh premium gas instead of your old leftover lawnmower mixture will end your starting problems. I’ve always wondered if people that buy that stuff drive Saab’s and are named Buffy.?. Sorry, just had to stir the pot.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.