Trolling question, double Raps

• traumatized
    eastern iowa

When trolling double Rapalas, usually behind a bottom bouncer. How do you tie on the second one to the first? Some people say tie it to the back hook eye, others say take the first Rap back hook off, some say use a quick snap. And then how far back from the first do you run it? Any help would be appreciated, especially with pics. Thanks

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Thinking out loud because I’ve never done this or even heard of it, wouldn’t tying anything to the back of the rap would ruin the action completely? Wouldn’t you want to tie a 3 way on about a foot or two above the first rap with a longer lead than the first?

I suppose that would be a nightmare for getting it in the water without tangling but I’m just having a hard time imagining a line tied to the back of a rap doing any good.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Yeah it subdues the action of the front crankbait but it also makes it look like the back one is chasing the front one.

What Biggill is describing is exactly what you do when you are hand lining, it can be done with rod and reel to.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Since it’s illegal in Minnesota I’ve never given it a thought.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Legal on border water rivers. St. Croix and Mississippi River below the confluence in Prescott.

MX1825

I’ve did it in WI/IA border waters.
    I removed the back hook on the front bait and ran the 2nd bait back about 30 inches. I ran them off a 3 way with a 12/15 inch dropper to a pencil weight. Fewer snags than a BB where I was fishing.

Ripjiggen

Never done it, but if I were to it is not much different than running multiple lines. Lower line runs deeper.
    Multiple ways to run high line. Whatever the way I would run high line closer than deep line.

Deuces

IMO take off back hook and tie on to split ring, adding a quick snap or another ring might help the action of first crank a tad.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Quick snap and 6-8” behind the first.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

24-30″ direct tie to rear treble eyelet or fas-snap.

Yes, front crank movement is drastically reduced. This is the purpose of this rig, offering two different actions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.