Trolling Muskys

• Gilgetter

Many guides will tell you to use a fiberglass rod (even Ugly Sticks) when trolling. More forgiving and won’t rip the hooks out of their mouths. I’m currently running two Okuma Coldwater line counters with Shimano Sojourn rods. I’ll be changing the rods out this year when I find a decent fiberglass rod around here.

I saw those Shimano rods while I was searching. The price is pretty low, how are they for quality?

HMoshier

Sorry for the late response. I like the Sojourn rods. The biggest issue I’ve had is the tips coming loose. I just re-glue them with hot glue that I use for my archery target arrow tips. They’re not the highest quality nor the lowest. For the price they couldn’t be beat.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m going out trolling with cowgirls tonight, How much line should I let out?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I troll quite a bit with the Trolling Girls. I don’t use planer boards. If it is my middle rod, I will have it only about 10 – 15 yards behind the motor. If it is my outer or inner rod, I will let out more line (about a good casting distance from the boat – maybe 20 yds). If your only using 1 rod, I would cast it out as far as you can and run off the side of the boat.

Good luck.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Im not a musky guy, at all.
    That being said I’d run one a long cast behind the boat and one about 20ft behind the boat, right in the prop wash.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Whats the structure? You have live weeds you are going over the top of or a breakedge? Just under the surface should work in most cases. I try to stay under 5 mph trolling but some like to clip right along.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

everything is pretty much deep water but they are at the surface chasing cisco.
    I’ll try the 20 yd length.
    Hopefully have some pics tonight.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

everything is pretty much deep water but they are at the surface chasing cisco.
    I’ll try the 20 yd length.

I’d go right in the prop wash too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A super shad rap was always a decent option for muskie trolling when I used to do it. I caught a fair amount of large pike too.

Ripjiggen

Make sure they hang on to their hats when you get up to speed. whistling

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

Make sure they hang on to their hats when you get up to speed. whistling

giddy-up woot

martyb

Fiberglass, 8-10 foot, MH or H. Graphite is no bueno in cold with the forces exerted by an esox.

I use some old Eagle Claw 2 pc Dipsy rods, big Diawa line counters and 100# superbraid backed by 40#mono.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

sticking a couple ounces of weight at the front of your leader will help keep the bucktail from blowing out. it will help reduce line twist from the spinning blades too.

i’ve got cannonballs up to 16oz to control depth, but you only need a few ounces to keep it down if your surface trolling.

R Petersen

Or you can do what I did at 1 dock. 2 casts with a 6″ Rapala for bass under docks. Nothing Why not ? Has to be something there. Motor into about 50′. Cloud uncovers the sun. Instantly I tense up as a 6″ wide X 10″ deep head is looking right at me. Too small.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.