Trolling Muskys

• Gilgetter

Thinking about dabbling into trolling for some muskys this open water season. What rod/reel setups are people using? Thanks

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I think it depends on what you want to drag around. Bucktail, Cowgirl, Dbl. Cowgirl, Headlocks ect. Also how fast you want to go while doing it. IMO the reel matters more than the rod. You could probably get away with a 7′ heavy for all of those for the occasional trip. If you want to become a trolling fanatic then you may use multiple rods.

I’m not a expert thats just my opinion. Pat McSherry would be able to steer you better but he’s kinda busy this time of year.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

I’ve got a couple of rigs for sale PM me if your interested

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

For “dabbling” you can definitely get into quality gear that will handle most lures you want to pull without breaking the bank.

A Shimano TDR 9′ Heavy two-piece will serve exceptionally well.
    TDR90H2PC is usually in the $35 range.

A Daiwa Sealine linecounter in the 47 size has good drag, loud clicker, and option of either paddle grip or power handle. Also available in a left-hand crank version.
    SG47LC3B is usually in the $100 range.

Add a fin-friendly net and a pair of bolt cutters to your boat, and you’re on your way!

catmando
    wis

Garcia 6500, braid, and about a 7-71/2 ft rod with some tip action but with backbone. The reason I like a shorter rod is, its a real challenge to net a fish with a real long rod when you’re by yourself. I have longer rods and they are great, but with a shorter boat, you have to watch your backcast close. Ps, you don’t need a $500 rod and reel for trolling, want something different get a bigger reel and a roller tipped rod and troll with wireline, the fish strikes are something. Nets are great, but a lot of the fish I caught, I never even took out of the water, better for the fish, my way of thinking. PS. get yourself a jointed swim whiz or jointed believer, a real good trolling bait.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I would say that the most important thing is a good net and release tools first. I would look around for a used rod and reel. It is not too hard to find some good, lightly used setups.

B-man

If you’re on a budget:

I’d look at the Daiwa Wilderness series in MH or H in 8′-9′.

Bulletproof rods that are super inexpensive.

For reels I’d pair them with Accudepth 47 line counter reels.

For line, I’d use 80-100lb superline. Buy two identical spools if building a pair of combos.

MAKE SURE TO PUT SOME MONO ON THE SPOOL FIRST, and make sure to have a full spool.

Ideally you’ll be building a pair of identical set ups. When you do, build the first reel backwards.

Reel your spool of braid on (100-150 yards). Don’t worry about the clicker or number of passes, it’s irrelevant at this time.

Next, join the end of the braid to some heavy mono (40-50lb Big Game). I’d use a Crazy Alberto or a tiny SPRO swivel, but there are other knots too.

Fill the rest of the spool with the mono. Stop with about 1/16″ of the spool showing.

This will be your backer. It serves multiple purposes.

1# It grips the spool

2# It fills the spool (think gear ratio and inches per crank)

#3 It provides additional line if/when needed.

Now, very important- zero your empty reel’s counter. Tie the mono onto the spool (3-4 wrap uni) and reel all the mono on. Stop when you get to the braid and look at the counter.

Write the number down! Write the number down! Write the number down!

Now continue reeling the braid on until the first reel is emptied. Reel number two is now done with the braid on top.

Now on the first reel, zero the counter. Reel on mono until your counter reads the same as the number you wrote down.

Connect the backing to the braid and empty the braid spool.

Now you have two identical combos with full spools that won’t slip.

If your budget is bigger, I’d suggest the Shimano Tekota 600 or 700 paired with a 8′-9′ MH-H action Talora.

I have a pair of them for my downriggers and they are a sweet combo!

AnotherFisherman

If you’re on a budget:

x2 on the Daiwa Wilderness series rods. I picked up two of these rods for “extra” trolling rods for about $15 a piece. Great rod for the $$.

Gilgetter

If you’re on a budget:

For reels I’d pair them with Accudepth 47 line counter reels.

For line, I’d use 80-100lb superline. Buy two identical spools if building a pair of combos.

MAKE SURE TO PUT SOME MONO ON THE SPOOL FIRST, and make sure to have a full spool.

Ideally you’ll be building a pair of identical set ups. When you do, build the first reel backwards.

Reel your spool of braid on (100-150 yards). Don’t worry about the clicker or number of passes, it’s irrelevant at this time.

Next, join the end of the braid to some heavy mono (40-50lb Big Game). I’d use a Crazy Alberto or a tiny SPRO swivel, but there are other knots too.

Fill the rest of the spool with the mono. Stop with about 1/16th of the spool showing.

This will be your backer. It serves multiple purposes.

1# It grips the spool

2# It fills the spool (think gear ratio and inches per crank)

#3 It provides additional line if/when needed.

Now, very important- zero your empty reel’s counter. Tie the mono onto the spool (3-4 wrap uni) and reel all the mono on.

Write the number down! Write the number down! Write the number down!

Now continue reeling the braid on until the first reel is emptied.

Now on the first reel, zero the counter. Reel on mono until your counter reads the same as the number you wrote down.

Connect the backing to the braid and empty the braid spool.

Now you have two identical combos with full spools that won’t slip.

If your budget is bigger, I’d suggest the Shimano Tekota 600 or 700 paired with a 8′-9′ MH-H action Talora.

I have a pair of them for my downriggers and they are a sweet combo!

I looked into the Wilderness series rods. Just making sure I’m not mistaken but these are just a trolling rod like used for Walleye. Not second guessing, I just don’t have any experience trolling for Musky. I guess I expected the need for heavier rods than these. Maybe I’m misunderstanding and they make a specific musky trolling rod?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I have done a fair amount of muskie fishing for over 35 years and I can tell you over 90% of the fish you move (or catch) will be in less than 20′ of water.

Trolling for muskies is not “precision trolling” in my experience, therefore line counter reels are not needed in most all applications. There might be exceptions on big waters like Green Bay, Lake St Clair or Detroit River…etc.

There’s a lot of shallow water where you’ll want to target them, over submerged weed beds, weed edges, and around rock points and reefs…mostly shallow.

And I’ve learned, unlike walleye or other species…muskie will have no problem coming up to a lure. Even surface baits they’ll come up and smash them.

You can easily eyeball your big baits as you let line out.

Like catmando suggested, I like the old school 6500 reels…bullet proof and designed for big game fish.

Furthermore, if you are in an area or situation where you can cast for them you can with the 6500. Try casting with a line counter reel. crazy

Rods? There are good one’s out there. I would suggest a muskie specific rod. Don’t be afraid to pay a little more. The one’s I have are over 20 years and are as good as new. They’ll last my lifetime as long as I don’t slam them in the truck tailgate. blush

B-man

The Wilderness series will cover any fish that you will encounter.

They aren’t species specific or hyped up ($$$).

Just incredibly tough glass rods that are ridiculously inexpensive. I have a bunch of them along side much more expensive rods. They don’t break….or break the bank.

A medium heavy Wilderness WILL NOT DISAPPOINT for muskie trolling, I promise. They handle 30lb king salmon…..and a big king’s fight puts a muskie to shame. Skis don’t rip off 200′-300′ of drag like a run-away train chinook can waytogo

You do not want a pool cue graphite casting “muskie” rod for trolling. Not saying it won’t work, but a more limber and forgiving fiberglass rod is heads better for that application.

If you’re ever in Duluth stop by the Marine General. If you buy an Accudepth reel at full price they will thrown in a Wilderness rod for next to nothing (and sometimes even nothing)! If you’re buying a pair of combos just ask )

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Personally, I would use your regular equipment for dabbling… I used to rowtroll in WI and did exactly that. Look at the reel seat to the first eye… Its pretty close to 24″ or 2′, 5 pulls equals 10′, 10 pulls – 20′ and so on. I used to run basins bumping into structure with a 100′ feet out on every line. We can/could use three rods, so bigger boards were useful to get one out each side and then I ran one straight back. To change depth, I either used shallow runners vs. deep divers or put out all Jakes with no weight, or combo rubber core sinkers. I ran either 1/2 or 1 oz. and played with either one or two to get .5, 1, 1.5 or 2 ounces for depth change. Once weed season hit, I ran at least .5 oz. on every line to keep the weeds off the baits or leader swivels… Questions, let me know, but that is how I did that for years and if I am running ‘tween places now, I might just troll to get there with one line doing the same things…

Mark

Gilgetter

Personally, I would use your regular equipment for dabbling… I used to rowtroll in WI and did exactly that. Look at the reel seat to the first eye… Its pretty close to 24″ or 2′, 5 pulls equals 10′, 10 pulls – 20′ and so on. I used to run basins bumping into structure with a 100′ feet out on every line. We can/could use three rods, so bigger boards were useful to get one out each side and then I ran one straight back. To change depth, I either used shallow runners vs. deep divers or put out all Jakes with no weight, or combo rubber core sinkers. I ran either 1/2 or 1 oz. and played with either one or two to get .5, 1, 1.5 or 2 ounces for depth change. Once weed season hit, I ran at least .5 oz. on every line to keep the weeds off the baits or leader swivels… Questions, let me know, but that is how I did that for years and if I am running ‘tween places now, I might just troll to get there with one line doing the same things…

Mark

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately I don’t have any regular equipment for trolling. I bought a boat this year after not having one in years. The lakes near my home are not really great trolling lakes as they are relatively shallow and have a lot of snags. I have one lake with Muskie in it and wanted to try trolling some this fall. I will probably pick up a couple of the Wilderness rods mentioned above and some of the Garcia reels. I guess I could buy some line counters as well and switch them out to troll for walleyes too.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mbenson wrote:</div>

Mark

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately I don’t have any regular equipment for trolling. I bought a boat this year after not having one in years. The lakes near my home are not really great trolling lakes as they are relatively shallow and have a lot of snags. I have one lake with Muskie in it and wanted to try trolling some this fall. I will probably pick up a couple of the Wilderness rods mentioned above and some of the Garcia reels. I guess I could buy some line counters as well and switch them out to troll for walleyes too.

So what you’re saying is that you don’t own any regular musky fishing stuff??? If that’s what you’re saying then I get it, what I am saying is you don’t have to buy any trolling stuff to troll musky…

Mark

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

buy a good reel not a cheep one. the abuse and pressure constantly put on the drag will destroy cheap reels. The accudepth a cheap sealing much better but I would go to a tekota for musky. The rod isn’t a big deal but spend on reel will last forever. can use for trolling eyes too.

Gilgetter

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gilgetter wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mbenson wrote:</div>

Mark

So what you’re saying is that you don’t own any regular musky fishing stuff??? If that’s what you’re saying then I get it, what I am saying is you don’t have to buy any trolling stuff to troll musky…

Mark

Mark I don’t have any Musky gear. The only time I’ve ever really fished them was with a friend who was a die hard and had a ton of gear. I used his. I’ve always kind of put it off due to the price of gear. I’m getting a little older and have a little more income now so I thought I should take the plunge.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I think what Mark is getting at, is if you intend to ever cast for muskies, you might be better off spending your money on gear that allows you to cast also. If you buy a line counter reel, you won’t be able to cast it. If you buy a reel that allows you to cast, you could get by trolling with it too. Decisions.. Decisions.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think what Mark is getting at, is if you intend to ever cast for muskies, you might be better off spending your money on gear that allows you to cast also. If you buy a line counter reel, you won’t be able to cast it. If you buy a reel that allows you to cast, you could get by trolling with it too. Decisions.. Decisions.

I was thinking this too. Casting for muskies wouldn’t work very well using a cheap all purpose wilderness trolling rod with a line counter reel. Casting for them requires a lot more physical stamina than trolling does too so having lighter, smoother, more expensive gear makes it a little more forgiving from a physical stand point.

catmando
    wis

This isn’t bragging but fact, over 500 musky caught casting and trolling with 4 Garcia 6500 they hold up, if treated right, is there better yep, but a 6500 is a heck of a good reel.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

This isn’t bragging but fact, over 500 musky caught casting and trolling with 4 Garcia 6500 they hold up, if treated right, is there better yep, but a 6500 is a heck of a good reel.

Well you and I are on the same page and I commented on that about 5 or 6 posts up this thread.

Although I cannot claim 500 musky, I’m easily over 100.

The point I was trying to state in my previous post was that muskie are generally shallow rendering line counter reels mostly unnecessary. I know Mark Benson was basically saying this too.

The OP finally fessed up and said this…

The lakes near my home are not really great trolling lakes as they are relatively shallow and have a lot of snags. I have one lake with Muskie in it and wanted to try trolling some this fall.

So? The question is, are you only locked into just trolling or do you want to catch a muskie?

Waters you’re describing dictates that you should be casting, not trolling.

Back to where we started. Get a setup you can cast, and you’ll need to learn that…and that same very setup can be used for trolling for muskie and the always added bonus of nice northern pike. If you’re fishing waters where trolling would be more effective.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The 6500 is a great starter reel but If you have the money I would get a Shimano Calcutta 400B. I have burnt up a couple of 6500 when I first started and then went to the 400B. I have had my 400B for over 10 years musky fishing now and they still work like new. The 6500 will last a long time with smaller baits.

catmando
    wis

The 6500 is a great starter reel but If you have the money I would get a Shimano Calcutta 400B. I have burnt up a couple of 6500 when I first started and then went to the 400B. I have had my 400B for over 10 years musky fishing now and they still work like new. The 6500 will last a long time with smaller baits.

No offense here can you tell me how you burn up a 6500, I must be lucky I only had to replace worm gears,and a few other things in 35 years of using them. Like I stated there is better, but a 6500 is far from a starter reel. DK.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>

No offense here can you tell me how you burn up a 6500, I must be lucky I only had to replace worm gears,and a few other things in 35 years of using them. Like I stated there is better, but a 6500 is far from a starter reel. DK.

I have my share of 6500 reels and they have treated me well. I still use them for trolling. If you plan to cast pounder bull dawgs (heavy) or double 10s (drag) for a long time, they will be challenged. I switched to Garcia Toro Revos for this.

catmando
    wis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>catmando wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>

I have my share of 6500 reels and they have treated me well. I still use them for trolling. If you plan to cast pounder bull dawgs (heavy) or double 10s (drag) for a long time, they will be challenged. I switched to Garcia Toro Revos for this.

I agree! LOL!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:

No offence taken mando. The first year I got the musky bug I didn’t have a wife or kids. I went out 5 to 7 days a week hard. The 6500 just didn’t take burning double 10’s and 12’s. The power handle helped but it was a little much for the insides. 6500 is a good reel until you step up to big hard pulling baits IMO.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I started letting Muskies consume my life in the early 80’s and the 6500 was my first reel. If I remember correctly trolling for ski’s was taboo back. I was on Deer lake in WI and some guys that I thought were bombed or something, they were trolling very fast with their lures a very short distance out right in the prop wash. I’ll be damned if they weren’t catching fish, it blew me away!

Anyhow, like Andy said, go with the dual purpose setup. You’ll find that you’ll be trolling along and see spots that just look too perfect not to make some casts into.
    Just outta curiosity have you enjoyed your first one yet? If so what if anything would you have changed about the rod & reel? Might be a good starting point.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The 6500 is a great starter reel but If you have the money I would get a Shimano Calcutta 400B

This is me, exactly. Started with the 6500’s and then eventually upgraded to a Calcutta series after a few years and when I could afford it.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

There’s a world of difference in quality between the Abu 6500s made 30 years ago and those made today.

I’ll also gently disagree that muskies are mostly shallow. Some are shallow all of the time, yes, but bigger deeper water holds more of the large fish in my experience, especially if the lake has suspended forage. Linecounters help us to dial in both shallow and deep presentations; not a must-have, but if you’re going to dedicate combos to trolling, then a linecounter makes it faster and easier.

catmando
    wis

I started letting <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Muskies consume my life in the early 80’s and the 6500 was my first reel. If I remember correctly trolling for ski’s was taboo back. I was on Deer lake in WI and some guys that I thought were bombed or something, they were trolling very fast with their lures a very short distance out right in the prop wash. I’ll be damned if they weren’t catching fish, it blew me away!

Anyhow, like Andy said, go with the dual purpose setup. You’ll find that you’ll be trolling along and see spots that just look too perfect not to make some casts into.
    Just outta curiosity have you enjoyed your first one yet? If so what if anything would you have changed about the rod & reel? Might be a good starting point.

I live a short distance from Deer, started night fishing it the early 80s, it was something else, the follows were biters, just crazy fishing. DK.

HMoshier

Many guides will tell you to use a fiberglass rod (even Ugly Sticks) when trolling. More forgiving and won’t rip the hooks out of their mouths. I’m currently running two Okuma Coldwater line counters with Shimano Sojourn rods. I’ll be changing the rods out this year when I find a decent fiberglass rod around here.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.