Trolling motor rebuild.

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have many hours on my trolling motor and have notice it is getting slower. Brand new it hit around 3.5 MPH or so. Now I have a hard time going 2 MPH. Everything else works well. I am thinking about sending it in over this winter. The unit is about 12 year old, Minnkota Terrova 12 volt with i-Pilot link. Thoughts?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Have you checked if you have line wrapped around the prop? Is your battery new And fully charged?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The lights on the motor says full charge. I replaced the battery last year thinking it was getting old and not putting out as much. Also last year I put an onboard charger in and replaced the plug on both ends when the new battery didn’t help with the speed. I will check for line.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve done my MK trolling motors many times. Super easy and fast. The scary part is when you tighten it up the first time and dunk in the water. Use just the gasket kit – no sealer.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have many hours on my trolling motor and have notice it is getting slower. Brand new it hit around 3.5 MPH or so. Now I have a hard time going 2 MPH. Everything else works well. I am thinking about sending it in over this winter. The unit is about 12 year old, Minnkota Terrova 12 volt with i-Pilot link. Thoughts?

More than likely the motor is in need of new brushes. Use all new gaskets and seals. Possibly new bushings (bearings) as well. If you are not mechanically inclined it might be best to have a repair center do it during off season. Otherwise it’s not hard, just be sure of your work as you proceed.
    Parts lists and diagrams are available online if you don’t already have that info.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Had mine rebuilt at The Boat Center a few weeks ago….parts and an hour of labor.

Easy to do yourself, too.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

The lights on the motor says full charge. I replaced the battery last year thinking it was getting old and not putting out as much. Also last year I put an onboard charger in and replaced the plug on both ends when the new battery didn’t help with the speed. I will check for line.

The lights on the trolling motor are not reliable. At least it wasn’t on the terrova 36v link that I had.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I watched a quick clip on it and there is nothing to it. Now I just need to find all the parts. Thanks for all the help.

Cody Meyers

I’ve had really good luck at Motor Clinic in Savage.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

The one problem with the shops is they only want the unit off the boat. I have an old I-Polit link system that is hard wired in. I don’t want to rip the deck off to get the wires out. Parts are on their way.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Does anyone know what the torque specs are for the thru bolts?

iowa_josh

I think you tighten them with a screwdriver handle. Not too much.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Update: the rebuild was super easy and cheap. Took 30 min. Last time before the rebuild I only could get to 0.8 MPH. Now I can do 3 MPH.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

What was in the kit for parts? that fixed it

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

There was not a kit. I had to look up my motor and pick from the part list. I did the armature assembly, all seals, gaskets, and brushes. Everything else was still good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.