Trolling motor interference

• Jacob Gervais

I put a transducer and unit on my trolling motor and am getting a ridiculous amount of interference. There is a ground wire coming off of the transducer cable. Is there somewhere special I can put that? I’ve seen some people run it down to the sled of the motor. Does that work?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

First of all, keep the batteries separate only going to your trolling motor and hook up the graft to the main boat battery.

Jacob Gervais

Ok, I’ll give that a try, is there anything I should do with the ground?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

All my electronics are Birds. I’m not familiar with the Lowrance to be specific. I’m not familiar with any separate grounding wires that go to a transducer. There should only be a cable plug type of connection, no? Anyone else?

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

As denny o has said make sure that you power the graph off of the main battery not the trolling motor battery. The ground you are mentioning is probably the cable shield wire that prevents electrical noise from entering the signal wires of the transducer. I have never seen a dedicated ground wire from the transducer I have used. A picture of the wire might help. Good luck

Jacob Gervais

Thanks to all you guys, for anyone wondering, the separate battery didn’t work but there were 4 different wires coming out of the unit power cable that are all grounds, all 4 of them had to be grounded and it solved the problem

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.