Trolling for trout with leaded line

• Gary Williamson

I am a beginner at leaded line. After some research I have my rod and reel set up with monofilament backing and then attached the leaded line. I then attached about 15 feet of leader. My question is this: do I now attach my lure to that leader or do I attach a snap swivel and then another shorter leader to the swivel? Any help would be appreciated.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

attach a snap swivel and then another shorter leader to the swivel?

I do this but it’s not necessary. I do it simply to add another swivel for preventing line twist.

tangler
    Inactive

One is plenty and 15 feet is more than enough. Did well trolling lead core for lake trout in very clear water in the Bwca this spring. I think we used a 4ft leader of 14lb flouro.

We use the same knot, a willis knot, to attach the leadcore to both the backing and the leader. Then we just terminate the flouro leader with a swivel and a snap and call it good. Some will use the swivel instead of a knot between the lead and the leader, and then just terminate with a snap. More than 1 way to skin a cat.

Gary Williamson

If I understand correctly, you attach a snap swivel to the end of the leader, then attach your lure directly to the snap swivel?

tangler
    Inactive

That’s how I do it. Like I said tho, it’s not the only way!

Gary Williamson

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it. Heading out tomorrow for the test run.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.