Trip report

• Wayne Daul
    Participant
    Green Bay, Wi

Started a little slow but I’m dialed in now. Best on reefs toping out 20 to 12 feet. Early morning has been good with jig and minnows. Later on we have done very good with a spinner crawler setup. 42 inch leader was the hot spot using a pencil sinker and gold spinner. Biggest was yesterday in the rain, 27- 1/2 inch walleye. Unusual but MN side was better then Canadian so far.

Two more days left, the adventure continues.
    Wayne

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

We got back home Tuesday afternoon, decided to head in after the thunderboomers of Monday night, and the prospect of quite a bit more rain Tuesday into Wednesday.
    We were camped east of the Brule, and found fish on the reefs. Best depth was for us was 25′. Lots of quality fish, in fact about 90% of our fish were 19-22″. Lindy rigged both crawlers and leeches with equal success.
    Hit Kettle Falls on the 6th, and there were more folks there than I’ve ever seen the last 23 years. Place was packed inside and out, 150+ folks and tons of dogs too!! Even had a one-man band playing on the veranda!!

bigstorm
    Participant
    Southern WI

great reports! can’t wait for my trip up there the first week of October

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

We got back home Tuesday afternoon, decided to head in after the thunderboomers of Monday night, and the prospect of quite a bit more rain Tuesday into Wednesday.
    We were camped east of the Brule, and found fish on the reefs. Best depth was for us was 25′. Lots of quality fish, in fact about 90% of our fish were 19-22″. Lindy rigged both crawlers and leeches with equal success.
    Hit Kettle Falls on the 6th, and there were more folks there than I’ve ever seen the last 23 years. Place was packed inside and out, 150+ folks and tons of dogs too!! Even had a one-man band playing on the veranda!!

I would guess that was Ronnie Cash. He plays every 4th of July and packs ’em in.

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

I would guess that was Ronnie Cash. He plays every 4th of July and packs ’em in.

Winner, winner chicken dinner (to quote BK)
    The bar was 5 deep and Rick had only 1 bartender on duty.
    Rick was making pizzas and pouring Pink Things as fast as his arms could move!!

Wayne Daul
    Participant
    Green Bay, Wi

Last day of trip was a blow out. Very high winds and rough water made for a poor day of fishing. Over all it was a good trip with a lot of over 20 inch Walleyes. The reefs are where the best fishing was but it did seem like many fish are still not on the reefs. It also appears that early morning is the best time to be on the water.

Attached is a picture of the 27 1/2″ Walleye that was largest caught. Sorry for poor picture , camera guy is not to tech. Should fire him but he is family.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190707_155944055.jpg

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Just got back last night and had a great trip with mediocre fishing. We took the HB all the way down to Anderson Bay and then Hitchcock Bay. The weather for the most part was nice, but not nice enough for traveling long distances in 16-17 foot boats w 60 hp. So we had to fish channels and bays almost exclusively. Still ended up w about a dozen eyes, trolling shad raps under 10 fow was best, bonus was most of the eyes were perfect keepers, and a few northerns made for more fish than 7 of us could eat in 1 meal.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Oh and the best sunrise I think I’ve ever seen.

Attachments:
    1. 3E5897A1-6D22-4C64-9182-0DD336C3C7E4.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

They never get old.

Wayne Daul
    Participant
    Green Bay, Wi

We all talk about the fishing but really the beauty of Rainy Lake is something special. Thanks for posting a great picture. I will be back August 10th with wife and will try to get some nice scenic pictures.
    The DW number one goal is at least two shore lunches so hoping for good weather.

Wayne

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

We all talk about the fishing but really the beauty of Rainy Lake is something special.

This is why, even as I get older (57 years young LOL), I continue to tent camp out in Voyageurs.

Many years ago we looked at putting a camper at a resort, but realized that we were too spoiled with staying out on the lakes 24/7 at campsites.
    Yes, we have to deal with weather, some severe, but with good gear it all works out. And the process of setting up and tearing down camp is work. But until my body can’t physically do it anymore, I’ll be spending as many nights camped out on the islands in VNP as I possibly can.
    The fishing is just the icing on the cake!!!

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

We all talk about the fishing but really the beauty of Rainy Lake is something special.

Yeah, totally agree! This guys trip could go to 1000 different places for similar or less $$, but the solitude and beauty of VNP is unrivaled imho. Although the mosquitoes are on another level too, not sure how you handle them tenting it Xplorer, but more power to you! bow

Ron
    Participant
    Victoria, mn

This is why, even as I get older (57 years young LOL), I continue to tent camp out in Voyageurs.

Many years ago we looked at putting a camper at a resort, but realized that we were too spoiled with staying out on the lakes 24/7 at campsites.
    Yes, we have to deal with weather, some severe, but with good gear it all works out. And the process of setting up and tearing down camp is work. But until my body can’t physically do it anymore, I’ll be spending as many nights camped out on the islands in VNP as I possibly can.
    The fishing is just the icing on the cake!!!

I agree. I’ve seen wildlife activity you’d never see at a busy resort. Lotsa of really good times, some not so much (hearing a tree blow down in a storm and wondering if the next one will fall on the tent, being pelted with sleet on the run back to the boat ramp). I’m 72-1/2 and heading to Rainy Thursday morning. Hope to keep on a few more years yet.

rkb1041
    Participant

Hey Ron, I’m heading that way on Thursday also. Won’t be on the water until Friday, looks like it will be windy. Where are you staying? We will be at the Thunderbird. If your staying there I will buy one.
    By the way, Hi to Wayne. Haven’t been able to hook up with you in a couple of years. But good to see your post.

Ron
    Participant
    Victoria, mn

I’m camping, so do you deliver drinks? toast

rkb1041
    Participant

Where are you camping? I always seem to run the entire length on the MN side.

Ron
    Participant
    Victoria, mn

Lost Bay R21. Has a triangle dock.

rkb1041
    Participant

I will look for you. Randy

Ron
    Participant
    Victoria, mn

Black Alumacraft Classic 165, Yamaha 50, Terrova, 2 guys.

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

Ron, I thought it was Nuthatch, the site west of Lost Bay that had the triangle dock? Cool idea no matter what site its at.
    Sent ya a PM with a suggestion if you get east of the Brule.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.