Trim stuck in down position – help please…

• Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

I have a 4.3L inboard/outboard mercruiser. The trim is stuck down a 1/4 inch from the concrete floor. Batteries do work. All other switches work like blower, horn and ignition. Gear shift is in neutral position. Fluid is full and the fuse near the pump is fine. Safety switch is in correct position.

So when I press either trim button there is not even a noise.

Any suggestions on how to get the trim up so I can get it to a repair facility and get it out of my winter storage? Or better yet how to fix it?

David Blais

Have you tried the other trim switch??

Trim relay

B-man

It’s likely either the trim switch or the relay.

**David beat me to it )

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

I have tried both switches and they don’t work. Where is the trim relay? And what should I be checking on the relay?

Is there a bush fix to getting the trim up one time?

robby
    Quad Cities

Relay?

Iowaboy1

with your engine cover off you should be able to see two ford type starter solenoids,one on top of the other or side by side.
    generally the top solenoid is your up solenoid and the bottom one is the down solenoid.

if they are side by side,the front one is usually up,the rear one down.

using a test light,find the positive wire coming from the battery on the solenoid.
    now,using a short jumper wire,touch the wire to the positive side of the solenoid and the other end to the little terminal sticking out from between the two larger terminals.
    the link I am posting shows what the solenoid looks like,mind you,not all solenoids have the second little terminal as shown in the links pic.

that should make the pump run and you will be able to tell which one raises it or lowers it.
    I can be of further help if you post what type and year of boat you have.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Ford-Starter-Car-Truck-Marine-Solenoid-Relay-12V-HeavyDuty-SW3-Blue/875231273?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101001368&adid=22222222227260051192&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=309749741728&wl4=pla-558609132160&wl5=9017833&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=127117920&wl11=online&wl12=875231273&wl13=&veh=sem

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If you find the 2 relays, swap them, then it should lift. Then replace bad relay.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Use a jumper between the blue wire and the red power supply posts. That by passes the solenoid. There are 2 seperate fuses, the larger red square int that you will be jumping from and then a 20 amp ish one in a water proofed casing. Check that one.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

If you find the 2 relays, swap them, then it should lift. Then replace bad relay.

This has worked for me multiple times on my Johnson and mercury motors.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

First take a rubber mallet and wack it.

I had the same problem many years ago and and Ido member suggest that and it worked!

Then follow the above directions. )

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

The boat is a 2007 four winns Horizon 203 with the 4.3L Mercruiser.

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

I appreciate all the help. The switching of the 2 relays – I have a question on that. If one relay is good, wouldn’t make a noise when i press the trim button? There is no noise when I try up or down.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

My belief is that your red wire either is your red wire is broken going to or from the shifter lever ond or the 20 amp inline fuse that is @ the motor is blown. The red wire is the power lead to the power tilt and trim buttons and (meaning both up/down and trailering).

I had just went through this myself 8 days ago, eh Iowaboy1? Mine had a red wire that was a spade connection come unconnected and shorted out thus blowing the 20 amg old glass fuse. I ended up cutting out the old fuse holder and replaced with a 20 amp spade fuse style.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

First take a rubber mallet and wack it.

I had the same problem many years ago and and Ido member suggest that and it worked!

Then follow the above directions. )

It at least made you feel better about it not working!!

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

So when I bypass the solenoid with the alligator clip wires will that activate the trim or will I still need to go push
    the trim switch???

huskerdu

Crack the lines , use a floor jack to lift the lower unit, tie up with a ratchet strap, if above doesn’t work

Iowaboy1

Ed,when you jump the solenoids with the wire, you dont need to push the trim switches as you are bypassing that part of the system.
    as Denny O said,if non of the switches are working,you have most likely lost power to them.

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

Thank you so much for all the help. I ran a wire from the positive side of the battery to the blue wire last night and the lower unit came right up. After I got it home, I checked the wiring without a headlamp on and found a wire behind the battery that wasn’t connected and now everything works!

Again thank you very much for your help on this. Have an awesome day fellow IDO people.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

That will be $29.99 diagnostic troubleshooting charge. Split up to everyone that replied LOL

Thank you so much for all the help. I ran a wire from the positive side of the battery to the blue wire last night and the lower unit came right up. After I got it home, I checked the wiring without a headlamp on and found a wire behind the battery that wasn’t connected and now everything works!

Again thank you very much for your help on this. Have an awesome day fellow IDO people.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.