Tried a new sport.

• tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Saturday I had some time to myself and with the nice weather I thought I would try something new. I went down to the South Saint Paul Gun Club and tried trap. I pheasant hunted for the first time this last fall and I knew that I needed some practice, since the birds got the better of me. The staff was patient with the newbie and great at explaining the options. Thekid pulling for me taught me the sport and gave me some shooting advice. Shot two rounds and hit 52% of the clays. It was a great experience and something that I for sure will be doing again. Anyone else shoot trap?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Fun! I’ve shot trap a few times. I really like sporting clays. We usually go to MN Horse and Hunt club. It’s fun (and humbling).

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I love shooting trap around the twin cities. Just a heads up for anyone wanting to do some trap shooting at prior lake horse and hunt or south st paul. Groupon has great deals at both places for trap and lunch. I prefer horse and hunt because they have way more options of shooting stands. I just checked and it’s even cheaper today. I also found Minneapolis gun club on there too in Lakeville.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200302-085606.png

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

It is a really fun sport. A group of us buddies got a team together 3 or 4 years ago and we have been shooting weekly each summer for league. I know for myself personally, I am definitely kill more birds (ducks/geese) now that I have a few years of trap under my belt, and my ration of kills/cripples is quite a bit better as well.

catmando
    wis

Shot on a local league for years, been thinking about getting back into it, it’s a great time, tip.. don’t stop your swing and have great ear protection.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Sporting Clays has really taken off in recent years as a HS sport. I believe that it is second-most expanded sport in high school behind fishing in recent years.

The course at the horse and hunt club is pretty good. The variety of shots offered is what makes it fun and entertaining, as opposed to basically the same shots over and over at some other places. I do it about twice a year, usually in August and again in September to help warm up for hunting season. The one thing that does not help is the cost which can be absurd sometimes but I guess there are some ways around that with a groupon at the moment.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Have shot on a local league team on a nd off for years. Enjoyed it but now it’s time to sell my gun and do something else. Have a Citori Ultra XT and all it does is sit in the hard case anymore.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I used to shoot trap all the time. Was on my high school varsity team and would enjoy it outside of that as well. I kinda let go of it and sold my trap gun. Would for sure get back into it the future. Kinda been stuck on skeet recently. Its an addicting sport for sure.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve been in 3 leagues and enjoyed it. Now we just pull our own once or twice a year.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve always wanted to shoot trap on a league, but of course, we didn’t have that in HS and all the adulting stuff gets in the way now… I’m really trying to get my kids into it, my oldest son will try it this summer and see how he likes it at 11. Fingers crossed! Because if the eldest son likes it, the younger (and more competitive one) will take it up that same day.

Grouse

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I’ve always wanted to shoot trap on a league, but of course, we didn’t have that in HS and all the adulting stuff gets in the way now… I’m really trying to get my kids into it, my oldest son will try it this summer and see how he likes it at 11. Fingers crossed! Because if the eldest son likes it, the younger (and more competitive one) will take it up that same day.

Grouse

Check out South St Paul. I think they had some discounts for juniors and a family membership.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Check out South St Paul. I think they had some discounts for juniors and a family membership.

Yes, I’ve been there and we’ll see how the kids take to it. I don’t want to push too hard.

I have my own trap that we use up at the farm, so I think that’s the best place to start the kids. Also, the eldest is only 11, so no FSC yet.

I REALLY want them to like the shotgun sports.

Grouse

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I REALLY want them to like the shotgun sports.
    Grouse

Shouldnt be too tough. Just dont put a light weight 12 gauge in their hands and shoot 50 clays. My old man meant well… doah

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Groupon has great deals at both places for trap and lunch.

Just make sure to check the days/dates that the groupons can be used. Don’t ask how I know. doah

I got some 2-for-1 coupons for H&H at Pheasant Fest! waytogo I just wish it weren’t such a long haul from Maple Grove.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Shouldnt be too tough. Just dont put a light weight 12 gauge in their hands and shoot 50 clays. My old man meant well…

Yes, good point. I hope the Big Man can use my 20 gauge Beretta, but the LOP might be a little long for him.

My father has a 20 and a 16 gauge Remington Model 11, from back in the day when the LOP was 13 inches, so those may be the ones to try first. The Mod 11 was Remington’s gun using the Browning A5 patents. They are not gas-operated, but they are weighted between the hands and with the shorter LOP and the “Browning squareback” design, they are easy to shoot.

What I’m not going to let them use is my 5.5 pound Browning Superlight. Even though it’s a 20, that thing kicks like a mule.

Grouse

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

If you thought trap was fun, try shooting Sporting Clays.

South St Paul Gun Club offers Sporting Clays, 5 Stand, and FITASC beyond the typical trap and skeet. They also offer a pistol and rifle range if that’s your fancy and given the location… it’s a hidden gem.

Obviously I’m bias as I’m a member but we really like to see new faces down there. I shot Sporting Clays yesterday with a couple guys that came on a Groupon, previously only ever shooting trap, they were hooked. It’s not the only club I shoot at but does offer the most variety given the location.

Figured I’d chime in as the clay games, primarily Sporting Clays, has consumed the vast majority of my free time the past few years – shooting 10,000-13,000rds per year. Then start shooting some tournaments – uuhf. Did I mention it’s addicting? !!! No wonder I hardly fish anymore.

Please reach out to me if you want more information or want to meet someone down there (I’ll probably already be there).

Maybe I could setup an IDO event … )

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

IDO Event would be fun.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

You would be in good company.

CaptainMusky

Sporting Clays has really taken off in recent years as a HS sport. I believe that it is second-most expanded sport in high school behind fishing in recent years.

It is unreal the number of kids participating. Most schools dont sponsor it as a “sport” so all the costs go to the kids which include range and ammo so it can get a bit expensive. My oldest did it 2 years ago for the HS team.
    He never shot a shotgun before joining. His first time shooting he hit 10 out of 50.
    In the state meet he was 3rd place in JV with a score of 96/100. A little bit of an improvement I would say. LOL
    The sad part is I dont get to use my gun anymore because its now “his”. -)

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

If you are looking to be a better bird shooter, once you get comfortable with trap get to skeet range and work on your gun-mount and footwork. Then start shooting sporting clays.

robby
    Quad Cities

Excellent! After trap, try skeet, and sporting clays. Have a feeling you will love it.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

May be obsessed right now. I just purchased an annual membership for the club. Thought it might be worth it if I go a few times over the summer, and can save on shells.

If you ever see a left handed person shooting a right handed 870 and missing. Feel free to say hi.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

May be obsessed right now. I just purchased an annual membership for the club. Thought it might be worth it if I go a few times over the summer, and can save on shells.

If you ever see a left handed person shooting a right handed 870 and missing. Feel free to say hi.

Awesome! See you down there.

deertracker

I worked at the SSP club in high school. At the time they had one of the best sporting clay courses in the state. Is that still the case?
    DT

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I worked at the SSP club in high school. At the time they had one of the best sporting clay courses in the state. Is that still the case?
    DT

Given the real estate they have, they do a great job. They change the course quite often so your not shooting the same birds every time like H&H etc. I’m still thinking an IDO GTG down there this summer would be fun.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I would be up for a GTG if I am available.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

DT

No

But I generally enjoy the place when I shoot there.

My favorite in MN is Old Vermillion Trail north of Duluth.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    DT

No

But I generally enjoy the place when I shoot there.

My favorite in MN is Old Vermillion Trail north of Duluth.

Old Vermillion is hard to beat given the location. Bert does a great job and has a fantastic club. I wish they had more registered shoots. A very cool place to shoot.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.