this week’s fishing

• Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Made it out to a few areas in the canal and otherwise this past week. Tried looking for some prespawn walleyes, but had a tough time with that, so I fell back on crappies, and was glad I did. Got another nice 13 1/4 fish with jigs in some slack water in the canal, followed by some smaller fish. Moved to a different area and caught fish on my first 10 consecutive casts (nothing near Augustyn numbers ). That slowed down and I was about to leave when this MA crappie that went 15″ struck a jig being dragged real slow over a rock drop. Picture doesn’t show it well, but this fish is definitely full on pre spawn, just fat and full of eggs. Was a real nice fish to get it, that’s for sure. The fish this last week seemed to be pretty particular with color, so finding the right one did seem to help.
    In a couple other pictures: in all the years I’ve been fishing the canal, I can’t say I’ve ever seen what’s shown in these pics- looks like this guy had an unfortunate ending. There are lots of steep drops that are 20-40 foot high throughout the canal, looks like maybe he found the edge of one. The last pic shows Elwood’s current water level. Water is going in, and before this snow we’re having right now, I’d say the water temp was steadily rising. Looks like that’ll be delayed, at least for a short while now. This crappy weather can go away at any time!

walleyeben
    Participant
    Albertville,MN

Awsome crappies there boy, what is the ded thing?

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Thanks! Big dead thing was an unfortunate cow…who knows where it came from. I’m guessing it didn’t make it too far down the canal until it got jammed in the tree there. I caught a dead beaver on a jig 4-5 years ago, but this was quite the eye opener.

joejingle
    Participant
    Iowa, sometimes Arkansas

Nice fish

mb376
    Participant
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Nice job, I am still jealous , snow this weekend kept me off the water, maybe next week….

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Thanks guys. Ya, this weather is just crazy, and I’m sick of it. Hopefully we’ll have some time soon to get some more water time in.

Coyote Chaser
    Participant
    Lincoln,Ne

Looks like you had a good time keep after thoses walleye and sauger they will be biting soon cant wait til I get out there

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Let me know when you do get out here Michael. There’s a seat in the boat for ya.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.