Tri-County canal 4-20-07

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

A buddy from Overton and I took the boat out to the canal Friday afternoon for a few hours to see if we could catch some fish (sorry Ben! Wanted to hit Johnson, but Jeremy preferred going for crappies). The first fish of the afternoon was almost a Master Angler-I landed a 14 1/2″ crappie that looked real nice, and possibly getting some eggs going for spawn. Like an idiot, I forgot my camera at home (I know, likely story!), but we let her go. Sure didn’t want to take her out of the spawning area.

We then hit some areas where the water was a bit warmer (56 degree avg) and did manage to find a couple places out of the wind that were real productive. They seemed to favor areas that fit the above description: warmer, calm water. Yum! Beavertails and DynoShads from crappiepro.com were the baits of choice today. We ended up with 14 crappie caught, 3 or 4 LMB, and 1 small northern. Most all our crappie were males that were definitely getting ready to spawn, as they were real colorful. It won’t be long now- with decent weather patterns, they’ll be going crazy.

gwalter
    Grand Island, NE

Thanks for the report Brian.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

What are you doing this Friday

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks for the report Brian. I’d really like to get out there and check out that canal system with you sometime.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

That’s why there aren’t any pics

walleye4
    On the Water

That’s right!!!!!!!! Only bluegill roam that area! I caught 23 of them on Saturday with 3 going between 4-5 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I suppose you forgot your camera too

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Man I HATE it when I forget the camera!! I guarantee I don’t catch another crappie like that all year now!! Oh well, there’ll be plenty in there to be caught. All bluegills, of course…. …..flatheads gotta eat something!!

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I’ll catch one that you can take a picture of on Friday

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

I’ll catch one that you can take a picture of on Friday

That’s usually the way it goes!

walleye4
    On the Water

I had my camera but it wouldn’t stay on long enough to get the pic. I need to get a real set of rechargeable batteries. I caught most of them on brushhogs around rocks.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

I need to get a real set of rechargeable batteries.

Just get a set of those rechargeables from Walfart that are the Duracells, they are green and come with a charger. Those have worked REAL well for me. Haven’t tried the Energizers, but I think that gets into a ford vs Chevy deal there.
    Hopefully we’ll be busy with the camera on Fri!

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Walleye, at $3 an extra set of batteries in the case is not such a bad idea I will make sure that I have plenty of power for pics on Friday Is that rain going to effect the fish a bunch in the canal

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Ya, I am afraid it’ll shut em down a bit, but hopefully it’ll warm it back up enough on Thur and Fri so that some fish will still be in the areas where I want them to be. Hopefully the road won’t be too bad either, but it could be tricky, that’s for sure!

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

The Wood River is over it’s banks here at Gibbon

trevor nation
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

hey brian, we went out yesterday and caught 15 all together and lost a bunch more by the boat. Caught 2 big largemouth and a drum to. We got most of the crappie out of one little cove, you know that one with the house in it, the one where the house is right next to water, if you cant figure it out from there its the house with the rocks and fallen down trees in the water…. most of them we caught off of black and white road runners and right up against the bank

walleye4
    On the Water

That road is going to be a mess for awhile I’m afraid!

I thought about a short trip this week over there to flip for some slimers. Thinking I will pass this week and try next week.

vaneperen
    Central Neb.

Went and tried Gallagher on Saturday and didn’t catch any crappie. The water was really muddy and that might have had a lot to do with it.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Glad to have you aboard, tvan!

Ya, Sat was probably still tough with last week’s weather and cooling the temps down and all that. I figured it’d take a few days of this nice weather, and things will only get better.
    We were there yesterday and did pretty well, I’ll have a report up later on today.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Welcome to IDA tvan!!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.