Sutherland report 2-22-07

• Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Well I finally made it out fishing again, and had a little fun this time. I’d never fished Sutherland before, but my buddy Big Mike and I decided to hit the cooling pond at Sutherland today. He and another one of our buddies was out there last week and did all right, so he took me this time. We tossed out crawlers and were catching all kinds of little kittenfish (not big enough to be catfish). I wanted to try something different, so I tied on a 1/4oz jig with a Berkley power grub and managed to catch 3 LMB and had a 4th one on, but he came off. They were real aggressive today and just nailed the jigs about 4-5′ away from shore! Saw 3 other people out there today, but we seemed to be the only ones catching anything. Nothin real big, but anything pulling on your line this time of year is fun, especially those bass. Big Mike caught probably 12-15 kittens, and I caught 8 of them plus the 3 LMBs. Someone had caught some nice cats there-one of them had to be 10 pounds or so. For some reason, the morons threw them up on the back with a nice LMB that looked about 14-15″. Those are the people we DON’T need fishing. Anyways, it was a good day to get out near some water. Much more of this, and it won’t be long before we’re out in the boat, boys.

orion94
    Participant
    them thar hills, SW Nebraska

Sounds like a good time out there. I think ol mother Nature is teasing us with all this nice weather. They are calling for blizzards west of York Saturday afternoon I have spent the last couple of afternoons sitting in my boat going through my jig boxes, rods and reels and such while watching the ice recede on our lake just waiting for the hard water to go away so I get the boat out and start chasing fishes.

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

Did you take a look at the inlet or notice if the ice was pulling away from the shore on the big lake? The early ‘eye’ bite there is always a good one

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Thanks for reminding me, Zach. That’s something I forgot to mention. My buddy was out there last week and said the lake was mostly ice covered. We didn’t drive around the entire lake, but you could see from the warm water discharge that there was hardly any ice left on the lake. We drove by the inlet though, and that looked to be virtually ice free. The only remaining ice I saw was on the northern part of the lake if my directions were right on.
    I’ve always heard nothing but good about that lake….might have to make a trip out there again soon.

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

Was there any water coming in and could you see if either of the ramps were useable? Thanks Brian

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

I could see just a dribble of water coming into the inlet. Not much at all. I’m sorry to say we didn’t drive by any boat ramps, so I’m not even sure where they are there. If this keeps up, it won’t be long at all they’ll be usable, if they’re not now, which they sure might be. I’m looking forward to heading out there and learning about that lake. I definitely want to fish it again!

djorg
    Participant
    Central City, NE

Brian — Great to have you back in action. Was starting to worry about you there for a while. Hope to hear more from you.

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Thanks Jorg!!
    It sure was nice to get out…I’m gettin in mode quite a bit lately. Think I might even go out and pour some weights today….this weather is horrible.

But it still won’t be long and it’ll be boat time!

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

Sutherland is still ice covered and won’y be ready this weekend yet

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

Quote:

Sutherland is still ice covered and won’y be ready this weekend yet

Strictly gauging from what I saw last week, I would say most all the lake is about ice free, but the boat ramps might be another question. I don’t know where they are or how tucked into bays they are/might be, but that might be your biggest question at this time.
    I don’t remember the name of it, but giving that little station that sits right off I80 a call might not be a bad idea either.

zachary fries
    Participant
    Central Nebraska

I guess my buddy that went out there yesterday is full of it. Sorry for the report

Brian Robinson
    Participant
    central Neb

I wanted to drive around the lake, but my buddy was drivin and he wanted to get home, so I didn’t see all I wanted to see. From the warm water outlet, the main lake looked pretty much ice free. I would doubt that short storm that rolled thru on Saturday did much to that lake, but maybe it hit out there harder than it did here. Sorry I don’t have more accurate info for ya man. I do hope it’ll actually warm up one of these days so we can get the boats out. It’s not far away now!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.