last week’s report

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

This is a bit behind, but I was at a wedding all weekend, so I thought I’d take the time to put it out now. I went out on the tri county canal above Johnson’s last Wednesday with a couple federal meat inspectors who work at Tyson in Lex….they had a crappy day so they just wanted to get out, and I was headed out that way, so that worked out well. We went jigging for crappie and weren’t doing that 20 minutes when Craig, who was in the back of the boat, jigged up a master angler walleye, went 28 1/2″, but only

weighed a bit under 6 pounds. But a nice one nonetheless. Got him on a yellow/white dollfly, couldn’t believe it. For some reason, I can’t pull the picture off the

camera, otherwise it would be attached for sure. We then went around pitching jigs the rest of the day and I ended up catching probably 6-8 crappies, 3-4 drum, a

sunfish and a flathead. Craig got a small LMB, a white bass, some drum and that walleye. Glenn didn’t catch a thing, don’t know what his deal was. The fish seemed

to be relating to the rocky shorelines more than anything else, and the water was still 73 degrees, which I couldn’t believe. I guarantee it ain’t that high now,

that’s for sure.

Brian

fishhunter44

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Went back out to the canal again on Friday with my buddy and his kid for some crappies. Started the day off real nice, we were catching them quickly after only being there 5 minutes. But then it just kinda died off, so we went into some coves and pitched some jigs for those fish. They made us work for the few we got, that’s for sure. I think the incoming front probably didn’t help much, because when that started to move in a little bit more, the wind would pick up, and things seemed to change a bit.

But the fish wanted a SLOW presentation today. And I think us casting and swimming the jigs by them was not even slow enough. Most of the fish I caught today were picking up the jig when it was towards the end of the fall, or just sitting almost still. Seemed like some of the brighter colors, and white, worked today. There was also another boat out there going after the same fish in the same spots, and they kicked our asses. They were using the longer B&M style crappie rods and were jigging them real slow. The difference between them and us was that they were using a slower presentation and were sitting the jigs in front of the fish, and that seemed to be what they wanted. They caught probably at least 30 more fish than us. So guess what I’ll be buying real soon! All together we probably caught only 18-20 fish, but it was still better than sitting on the couch. Hope to get out again tomorrow, just not sure where yet.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Thanks for the report Brian. What are you getting for water temps out that way?
    That new sticker looks great on the back of the boat!!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Oh ya, decals look great!

I was going to go back out today, but the weather is real crappy, so I think I’ll just sit around and watch football all day. Damn.

Water was clear down to 62 yesterday, which is down from 73 last Wednesday. I bet it’s still dropping with this weather!

trevor nation
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

Weather was crappy but the white bass/wiper bite at the inlet was real good. Right before dark i started casting the bank for walleye and bam after 3 evenings of trying to figure out if the big ones were in their spots, the rattle trap landed a 26 incher i dont know why the walleye guys jig the bottom out in the middle when the big ones are just 2 feet off the bank

trevor nation
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

nice crappie by the way

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Good stuff, Trevor! Don’t know when I’ll make it out again….you got time Wednesday, or maybe Friday?

trevor nation
    Elwood/Johnson Lake, NE

Im probably good for friday, I have to work wednesday. The white bass and wiper were going nuts at the inlet yesterday afternoon till dark. I know the number of fish caught had to be over 300 and they were schooling on the top great but there were so many shad that they wouldnt put up much of a chase on poppers. They were mostly hitting twister tails etc. up towards the top. Even better news I was off on my estimation, that walleye ended up being 29 instead of 26 once it was put on the tape Hopefully ill be able to hit it again this evening if I wake up early enough

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Nice fish, Trevor! I’ve been thinking of hitting Merritt this weekend, but kinda doubt I will if the water temp is what I’m thinking it’ll be. Might hit the canal again, might be up at Sherman. Man, things are up in the air this week. I’ll let you know for sure what’s up.

walleye4
    On the Water

A little birdie told me that you should go to SHERMAN!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.