Canal fishing

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Have been out in the canal a few times in the past couple of weeks, and have come away with a few saugers and walleyes, quite a few crappies and channel kittenfish, and even some flatheads. The water has been anywhere from 81.5 to 85.5 degrees, and those fish just shut off at about 83.5.

Our flatheads have been from 2 to 5 lbs, but we have come back a few crankbaits short. Twice in past 3 trips we’ve had such a violent hit that I thought the leadcore shortie rod was going to explode. The drags were set, but we stood no chance at all. The rod went way down like a shot of lightning, and when it broke off, the rod shot up the opposite direction. Sure would have liked to get these fish into the boat. I’m sure they were some monster flatheads that saw a crank going by and took a swipe at it.

Hopefully with this cooler weather it’ll cool the water temps down a little. Looks like I better beef up my Fireline leaders with something a little more stout. Any suggestions?

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

Are you using #18 lead? Unless you are going up in leadcore size I wouldn’t go above #14 on the leader. I would bet you would start to break the lead. I have done that before and I would much rather break the leader. Has it been breaking at the knots? You could go 27 on the lead 20 on the leader. I have never used more than 5 colors even on my full core setups in Nebraska (usually 1-3), I think I could still get more than 5 colors on my reels in #27 test.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

All my set ups are 18#. Was out there today and didn’t get a flathead at all, but the drags were loosened waaaay down just in case. I didn’t wanna lose another one!

Kinda slow out there today. Only 1 sauger, probably 4-5 channel kittenfish, a drum, couple whites, almost 30 crappies, and a chic in a bikini on her porch. Wait….today wasn’t so bad.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Any pictures?

Of the fish.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Nah, none of the fish were picture worthy. Now the bikini on the other hand….I really screwed up there.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Here ya go Jebb. Was out in the canal again today and tricked this 32″ Northern into crushing a Flicker. Of course, it wasn’t what I was expecting, but I sure was hoping it was a nice walleye. Ended up with 11 crappies, a LMB, and a couple channel cats. Never know what you’ll get next in the canal though, gotta love it. But I would still rather have a pic of the bikini.

4fishing

Quote:

Here ya go Jebb. Was out in the canal again today and tricked this 32″ Northern into crushing a Flicker. Of course, it wasn’t what I was expecting, but I sure was hoping it was a nice walleye. Ended up with 11 crappies, a LMB, and a couple channel cats. Never know what you’ll get next in the canal though, gotta love it. But I would still rather have a pic of the bikini.

Just as long as it’s not you in the bikini, I’m good with the picture!

huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Nice fish Brian.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

Just as long as it’s not you in the bikini, I’m good with the picture!

I couldn’t agree more….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.