Transom Repair Fun

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I lifted the rotted transom out by using screw in bolt eyes that drilled into the transom and then ran ratchet straps over the ceiling joist lol. She split right in to the center was completely rotted through.

What specifically prompted you to do this? Motor/transom flex?

Charles

I figure it was wet, I had some flex in the transom and when I re-tightening the motor bolts there was moisture coming out of the motor holes.

Charles

Final took some good pictures for you guys.

Next step is make transom board and weld all the little holes up then smooth and sand.

Attachments:
    1. Upclose.jpg

2. Complete.jpg

3. deck.jpg

Charles

Just got the epoxy on hand and a few other things, I have one more big package to arrive today and then I can start on getting things finished up.

Attachments:
    1. Products.jpg

Charles

Just got the epoxy on hand and a few other things, I have one more big package to arrive today and then I can start on getting things finished up.

Attachments:
    1. Products-1.jpg

Joe

Did you get hardener for the epoxy resin?

Charles

Yup, I was to lazy to a picture of everything. I decided to go with this system, I heard good stuff about it and its $20 cheaper=.

Deuces

Maybe after the transom you can put more lights in that shack grin

That does not look fun.

Charles

LOL Waiting for that comment, Yeah the plan was to turn that into my shop but I may sell this house so I going old school with lighting.

Charles

Getting closer, I have one more side of epoxy to do.

Yesterday I was able to get the boat out and remove most of the wet foam and then I pressure washer the bilge to get the rest of the crap removed. Next up is one more side of epoxy and then let it dry and then start hammering in all the hardware.

Attachments:
    1. Coat2.jpg

2. Coat1.jpg

Charles

Starting the tig process to remove some of the excess holes.

Attachments:
    1. weld.jpg

Charles

Been a crazy few weeks but I have finally finished up the paint work today, tomorrow night I will be hanging the engine.

Hard to tell the paint Urethane 2 part, smoke grey color and 2 coats of heavy clear coat.

Attachments:
    1. rear2.jpg

2. rear.jpg

Matt

Charles, nice work on the transom project!

I have a 2002 Crestliner Fishhawk and will be doing the same thing.

After you cut the transom ridge cap, where you able to slide out the transom? Looking at mine, it feels like wood transom is wider than the ridge cap.

Thanks!

Charles

Huh I forgot to update this thread on the finished thread.

Matt I will PM you and we can talk about everything.

Tyler Jordison

Hi Charles, I also have a Crestliner with the welded transom cap (1997 Rampage deck boat). It also looks like the wood is wider than the ridge cap like Matt’s. Will you please PM me as well with tips on that?

Thanks!

Crestmaro

Im in the same boat for say that my 2006 C liner 1750 fish hawk needs a new transom..
    Considering a Thermolite 30lb. composite core 1.75″ thick single piece, epoxy coated on all sides..
    Anyone have thoughts on the long term postive or negatives with this composite ?
    As for being structurally sound or compression values of through bolts and anything other that may adversely affect the hull corners ?

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.