Transducer Mounting

• Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

I am going to be installing a Totalscan transducer for a hds 9 gen 3. I will be mounting it on an Alumacraft Magnum 165 tiller with 50hp etec.

Right now I have a lms332 c that has its skimmer transducer mounted on the port side on a plastic mounting board. It works perfectly while running on plane.

It has a blue plug so I am guessing I could use that ducer for my 2d sonar on the hds gen3 ? Am I right ?

Should I mount the totalscan ducer on the starboard side ? If I should mount it on the starboard side I will use another mounting board .

And if I am able to use the lms ducer for my 2d sonar on the hds while running , then can I mount the totalscan a little higher so its not taking a beating while running….just so its sitting in the water good while not on plane ?

a lot of questions I know but thanks for any suggestions.
    Thanks

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

One tip I can offer. If that unit shipped with the plastic mounting hardware brackets, upgrade it to the stainless steel version as shown here.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-000-12603-001-StructureScan-Totalscan-Transducers/dp/B071V7YNDS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2HV0KH36EOBKQ&keywords=lowrance+totalscan+mounting+bracket&qid=1653493484&sprefix=lowrance+total%2Caps%2C97&sr=8-2

For the 2D view, I would just split the screen on the HDS.

-J.

Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

Thanks jon, mine does have the plastic mount. I will look at getting that sturdy mount.
    looks like if I use the lms transducer I would have to change the transducer choice on the hds unit. I think I will just keep the lms for depth while running and just use the hds unit for down and side imaging.

So can I keep the totalscan transducer a little higher that the bottom of the boat so it doesn’t take a beating while running, but has good position while moving slowly.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes, that will work just fine.

-J.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Sent you a pm

Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

I have an idea what’s causing this interference on the right side from boat to bottom but thought I would ask anyway. This is not a good photo but I think it will get the point across. Side Scan..
    Ideas…suggestions ? More information would probably be helpful now that I think about it. I will update after work.

Attachments:
    1. side-scan-right.jpg

2. transducer-mount.jpg

Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

I am guessing the interference is getting caused by the motor. The transducer is 20″ away from the motor but sitting pretty high on the transom. I cant mount the total scan on the starboard side because that’s where my kicker is.

Attachments:
    1. kicker.jpg

2. motor-angle.jpg

Karry Kyllo

It looks to me like your high speed transducer may be blocking your sidescan transducer. I’d swap positions of the transducers if it were me but your motor may be blocking it as well. Have you tried trimming up your motor to see if it helps?

the_hat
    SE Metro

I’m pretty sure you have to have the side scan transducer as the lowest one so there is no interference from anything below it. Motor may still need to be trimmed up some.

I would swap them and try or remove the 2d one for a test run and see it it clears up with it gone.

I only have the total scan one that I use for both views but it should be clearer than that for the side view.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Need to swap transducer positions and you will need to trim up the motor to get the right side image to be clear but that’s normal on all most side scan transducers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.