Transducer for hds gen3 and hds live

• Patrick Root

Hi everyone, fairly new to the electronics and had a question about transducers for networking 2 lowrance units together.

Currently I have a hds7 gen3 on the console and recently purchased a hds live 12 that I want to put on the bow.

My question is do I have to use 2 transducers and run the new one? Or can I replace the old transducer with the new transducer because it is a 3-1? Any information is greatly appreciated

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t have the correct answer but I would think the units networked together would only need one transducer. That’s assuming the HDS3 and the Live are compatible with each other.

Lowrance connections are color coded so as long as the color matches, the device should be compatible with the unit. Not only that Lowrance varies it’s size and gender of connectors so you can’t even physically connect something that isn’t compatible.

Patrick Root

I did some research on lowrance website and it does seem like they are compatible from what I have read. Having to only use one transducer would be great. I just have to figure out which transducer to use.

Appreciate the feedback

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

couple of things here…

Gen 3 and live will network together just fine without issues. Just need an Ethernet cable between the two units.

Now the question I have, is the original transducer the LSS-2? If yes, I would keep it just for that Gen 3. And run the AI 3in1 for the Live.

Can the Gen 3 show the AI 3in1 info? the answer is actually yes, but it can become slow scrolling. I have did it when the lives first came out.

If it was me I would run both to there respected units. You always have a backup just in case then.

Also your Gen 3 will not display as nice as a picture as the live due to the resolution and no upscaling happens.

Patrick Root

Thank you for the information!

The hds gen3 came with a ss3d transducer if that helps.

My follow up questions would be 1. If I am leaving everything as is and installing the new locator on the bow should I also have that transducer on the transom? Wouldn’t there be interference?
    I am also planning on purchasing the live target sonar to attach to my trolling motor. That is why I was wondering about all the transducers and everything.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Oh!!! well that opens a whole can of worms! lol

Your problem became much easier… I wouldn’t even put the AI3in1 in…. Save it as a backup. The SS3D box and ducer is actually better and it will run flawlessly on both units without issues.

As for your follow up… I would personally put one on the bow mount and the other on the transom. A) for multi purpose use and B) for a backup. You shouldn’t see any interference because only one at a time will be used. You can also put Active Target on the transducer without issues on the side scan ducer also.

Patrick Root

Ok excellent I feel like I am getting somewhere lol

When you say 1 on the bow and 1 on the transom are you saying run an additional transducer on the trolling motor in addition to the live target one? Then leaving the ss3d where it is on the transom?

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Ok excellent I feel like I am getting somewhere lol

When you say 1 on the bow and 1 on the transom are you saying run an additional transducer on the trolling motor in addition to the live target one? Then leaving the ss3d where it is on the transom?

You don’t have to run one on the bow. I didn’t know if that was your intentions. They make brackets to mount the AI 3in1 to the bottom of the trolling motor if you desired. Not saying you have to. Thats the ducer that should have came with the Live unit if you got the live with the 3 in 1.

If you don’t, just save it for a backup.

Patrick Root

Oh I see what you are saying. I definitely wouldn’t mind it on the trolling motor. I have been trying to do some research as far as what bracket to use for the 3-1. Currently have a minn Kota power drive. I feel like the skag on the bottom of the trolling motor is going to be in the way tho

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

yes that might be an issue. I don’t know of a bracket to suggest

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.