Trailers (Utility or Snowmobile Coverall)

• futurepoorperson

If you found comparable prices on two different style trailers which would you prefer for ice season.

Utility Trailer- 14’-0” with side ramps for wheeler

Or

Coverall Snowmobile Trailer- 12’-0”

Joel W Taylor

What are you going to do with it? If it’s just haul a sled or atv and your fishing gear, the enclosed snowmobile trailer would be my vote hands down. Keeps everything cleaner and more protected from snow, ice, rain, dirt, salt, etc.

If you ever have other uses for the trailer like hauling “stuff”, then that should be taken into consideration.

gonehunting

I had an enclosed trailer just for ice fishing and it was great for the reasons stated above. However our family purchased a lake lot and I needed a utility trailer worse. I had no space for two trailers and the economics said I had to only have one. Below is my mod of my utility trailer to accommodate my snowmobile/ATV for ice fishing. On my long trips to Red or Lake Winnipeg I will tarp my ATV or snowmobile. My equipment generally gets pressure washed once I return.

Attachments:
    1. 818BBFA9-48B9-408A-B562-AFE724A73EED.jpeg

2. 98C44185-4F54-44AE-B949-89EE5A3F2EED.jpeg

futurepoorperson

Yeah, I have no means of owning two trailers either. It’s one or the other.
    Aluminum utility is what I’m leaning towards. Seems versatile.
    However the enclosed trailer is appealing for securing & protecting gear. It’s a 2-place tilting style with an aluminum cap.

Coletrain27

Those tilting type are not the most user friendly if your planning on hauling atvs in them. There just not tall enough

curleytail

Enclosed would sure be nice to keep all the salt and freezing slush off your equipment. I’m always jealous when I see somebody backing a clean shiny rig out of an enclosed trailer with all their gear mounted on machine. Clean, quick, and keeps rust away.

But then I remind myself of the hassle they have towing it with a 1/2 ton on bad roads and the 9 to 11 mpg they got towing it to the lake.

Enclosed trailers keep everything nice, but there is a penalty in towing ease and mpg. If that doesn’t bother you or you’ve got a diesel, keeping everything loaded up, dry, and clean is a nice benefit.

A compromise between the 2 could be a utility trailer and building a good salt shield for the front and maybe the sides.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I am in the process of building out a 2 place 8×10 snowmobile trailer now. Putting sides on it and a fitted tarp to cover it all. ATV or snowmobile on one side. The other side will have the otter flip on the deck of the trailer and the a shelf above that for the hub, my one man flip and a some extra gear. I even built a compartment to hold my flashers and drill battery chargers. I have a power strip mounted and the battery tender for the ATV/ Sled and the other chargers will be all plugged in and ready to go. When I get home, back the trailer in and plug it in like I do the boat, and the next time I go, everything is fully charged and ready. I will weigh it when I get it loaded (I can see the scale from the north end of my property) and see if I need to upgrade the tires and or axle. I think I will be safe though and wont be exceeding the limit. Trailer is rated for 1500 pounds, if it all weighs 1000 pounds, I will upgrade it. Who knows what happens when it all gets slushy.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I am in the process of building out a 2 place 8×10 snowmobile trailer now. Putting sides on it and a fitted tarp to cover it all. ATV or snowmobile on one side. The other side will have the otter flip on the deck of the trailer and the a shelf above that for the hub, my one man flip and a some extra gear. I even built a compartment to hold my flashers and drill battery chargers. I have a power strip mounted and the battery tender for the ATV/ Sled and the other chargers will be all plugged in and ready to go. When I get home, back the trailer in and plug it in like I do the boat, and the next time I go, everything is fully charged and ready. I will weigh it when I get it loaded (I can see the scale from the north end of my property) and see if I need to upgrade the tires and or axle. I think I will be safe though and wont be exceeding the limit. Trailer is rated for 1500 pounds, if it all weighs 1000 pounds, I will upgrade it. Who knows what happens when it all gets slushy.

Got any pics?

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

mxskeeter, I do not, but I will take some when I get it all done. It will be a while, I am on day one of a 14 day lockdown. If i can find someone to pick up the remaining the supplies needed to finish the project… It will be done about a day after they make the drop. HAHA!

Steve Johnson

Depends:
    If you have a long way to go, getting there without a mountain of snow/slush/salt on your stuff would be nice.

If you have a snowmobile without reverse, a drive off trailer is important, if you want to save your back.

If neither of those drives your decision, then figure out what you might get more off season use out of.

Loren I Duerr

I have an enclosed snowmobile trailer w/ drop down tailgate and will never go back to tilt or open trailer. So nice to have clean dry machines and gear. Also doubles as a dry mouse free storage for sleds and gear during off season.

futurepoorperson

Well I’m perplexed on a decision.

* Steel 14’ single axle PJ Trailer w/ side ramps for 2k

* Aluminum 14’ single axle by Trophy, less side ramps for 3k

Or bite the bullet and get an Aluminum 14’ tandem axle by Trophy w/ side ramps for 4K

I have a quad, my two oldest kids have 90cc quads, So a 14’-0” minimum is needed to fit them all. Plus if I just want to leave portable hitched up to wheeler after fishing and drive on trailer 14’ works in that regards to.
    Possibly a side x side in the future. Thinking payload on the decision, & resale, etc.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

If you are going to use it much in the winter buy aluminum or galvanized.

castle-rock-clown

I was a cat chasing it’s tail till I took the plunge. My trailer offers enclosed transport and storage. A rear ramp door. Holes in the floor for fishing, heat in winter, cooling in summer. A range and over, lighting, charging for all electronics. Sleeping for 3, TV, radio. And summer camping.

Attachments:
    1. A4D01FEC-7801-4E7A-8A6C-96CD6EF39BCA.jpeg

2. F360FA05-EF31-40CF-BA80-C1189EB8EABE.jpeg

futurepoorperson

Nice set up Castle-Rock !

I ended up stopping in at MG Trailers in Ramsey & picked up a 14’-0” single axle.

Attachments:
    1. 3B410A2C-32F6-4566-95E5-46D01BFEE582.jpeg

2. 427FFE9D-3FD1-44D5-84CE-B6FAFA8E34B6.jpeg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.