Trailer tires wear fast

• Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

The trailer is for my duck boat. Without a cover on the boat I tow with just the boat (1991 Lund WC14), the motor (1978 Evinrude 15 hp) and the 6 gallon gas tank. I run the 4.80 X 12 load range B tires at 22 psi and they still wear fast. I’m getting about 2,500 miles out of them. Do they make a load range A? I haven’t been able to find any.
    If I would get a cover I could add ~125 pounds more gear but that’s still not a lot. The alignment is fine, they wear in the center of the tread. Do I dare go any lower?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

First thought here is that seems low on the tire pressure. Should be closer to 55-60 psi.

-J.

rjthehunter
    Participant
    Brainerd

The trailer is for my duck boat. Without a cover on the boat I tow with just the boat (1991 Lund WC14), the motor (1978 Evinrude 15 hp) and the 6 gallon gas tank. I run the 4.80 X 12 load range B tires at 22 psi and they still wear fast. I’m getting about 2,500 miles out of them. Do they make a load range A? I haven’t been able to find any.
    If I would get a cover I could add ~125 pounds more gear but that’s still not a lot. The alignment is fine, they wear in the center of the tread. Do I dare go any lower?

What’s the speed rating on them? Seems odd that they’re wearing in the center when you’re only running 22psi. Usually center wear means they’re overinflated.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

If the center is wearing I would say you are running them over inflated. But I’m sure John of another tire guy can better answer that.

You sure your adjustable receiver hitch isn’t the problem? jester (Sorry, I couldn’t pass that up)

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

You sure your adjustable receiver hitch isn’t the problem? (Sorry, I couldn’t pass that up)

Now that’s funny Dutch. Correct center wear is a sign of over inflated. However 22psi sound way to low. Load ranges get higher as the letter does so A is less than B and so on. I would try to find C load range tires or maybe you can up size the rims and tires if the fender allows. Northern tool sells rim and tires packages for pretty cheap. If you can fit a 13 or 14 inch you can even get to a D load range.

grubson
    Participant
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Are these bias ply tires or radials?
    What is the psi rating on the tire?

2500 miles on a 12″ bias ply trailer tire sounds about right. They don’t last.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I run the 4.80 X 12 load range B tires at 22 psi

Well, as they say, I think we have the classic “There’s your problem Lady,” moment.

22 PSI? Those tires are going to be running hotter than a stolen tamale.

A load range B tire of that size should be around 55-65 PSI.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

If I run them at 55-65 psi, they wear out faster. That is max pressure at max load. The goal is to have the whole width of the tread contact the road surface, not just the middle. Thus the question, does someone make load range A 4.80 X 12 tires? Google search didn’t turn up any.

You sure your adjustable receiver hitch isn’t the problem? (

The above results were on a non-adjustable receiver hitch. grin

My issue is the load on the trailer is too light. Using this trailer and a heavier boat/motor resulted in longer tread life at a higher pressure that resulted in the entire tread contacting the pavement. Look up chalk method.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6797.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Thus the question, does someone make load range A 4.80 X 12 tires? Google search didn’t turn up any.

Like I said earlier. The load range goes the other way, not even sure load range a exists I guess that would be a P metric car tire. What you want is either a larger rim and tire or a load range C.

Sorry responded before your whole post showed up, it does not make sense that a lighter load tire would hold up better, at least not to me.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I ran a quick search and Carlisle and Deestone (whoever that is) has load range C tires which is a 6 ply tire available. I could get them for you, but I’m sure there is somewhere closer to you. If you want to try a lighter load range both the brands I mentioned above have SL or standard load available also. Which would be lighter than your B.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

The biggest problem with those size tires on a light trailer is that they spend as much time in the air as they do on the ground, believe it or not that tire starts to slow down when not in contact with the ground.
    When it does hit the ground at speed it has to speed back up and that scuffing wears them out very quickly.

Cure?? bigger fuller cooler, have friends ride in the boat on the way to the lake, more batteries like a 4HD lol.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

This afternoon I’m getting a pair of Carlisle tires in load range SL from Discount Tire that’s less than a mile from my house. Thanks John for looking it up!! Why they don’t call “SL” load range “A”, I’ll never know. doah

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Went to put the new tires on today and the are f’ing load range Bs. The receipt says load range “SL”. flame
    Got to discuss this tomorrow am. Need the rig on Tuesday.

Before I found out about the SL load range tires, I ordered load range Bs from eTrailer. One was load range B and the other was load range C. flame
    Plus one of the grease seals I ordered did not have the spring on the lip. flame flame

Plus a “new” pair of hiking boots I just received had dirt and grass on the soles so they are obviously a return. flame flame flame I’ll keep them as long as they fit.

OK, I’m done now. lol

MX1825
    Participant

I think LR B 4 ply is standard load(SL). LR C is considered 6 ply or XL.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Netguy, I think at this point just sell the trailer. LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.