Traction studs for ATV tracks

• castle-rock-clown

I’m thinking of these for my tracked ATV. While tracks are great in snow, they can slip when towing something heavier on glare ice, or when tracks dig down to ice. I have chains for the wheels when installed that work great on ice, but I want my tracks installed just before the ice season where glare ice is more likely to be encounters. Plus I like the much greater weight distribution when early ice is thinner.

Attachments:
    1. 620A7AC2-16B9-4F85-976D-55D93FCAFE86.jpeg

Ripjiggen

No experience with studs on my track machine. Never felt the need for them. I keep my wheels on as long as possible as the tracks wear out quicker and put more wear and tear on the machine overall. Early ice I prefer wheels and chains until the snow gets to a point of using tracks.
    I have used similar studs on my sleds however.

uninc4709

I have no experience with this, but I think you would be best utilizing studs meant for a track? I think the backer plate would go along way in preserving the longevity of both the studs and the tracks.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I use Kold Kutter ice racing screws in my ATV tires. They are a hardened hex head screw with an angle for more bite. They come in many lengths. Much more reasonable $ than the ones in your post. I just happened to install them last night. Really make a difference. They wear well. And I reuse them year after year.

Jason

Just use a regular snowmobile stud with an aluminum backer. You won’t need very many. Im thinking 2 every 2nd or 3rd opening. To many will cause the back tracks to dig in too much during tight corners.

blackbay
    mn

Keep in mind that your trailer, garage and driveway may take a beating with studded tracks.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Just ordered some Kold Kutters. (thanks giz)
    I was sick and tired of ordering chains for my tire size and having them show up and not fitting.

I’ll Have chains on the front and studs on the back. I little herky jerky on pavement with the chains on the front, but they can kick some a$$ when your on the ice and snow.

mojogunter

I have around 96 studs you can have if they will work for you. I think they are 1325 woody’s gold diggers.

castle-rock-clown

Thank you for the offer, but I think I will use the screw in style since the track lugs have molded into them places to screw them in.

Attachments:
    1. 8E46D733-068C-4753-B5E7-46F6C1587227.jpeg

dolaGon

Hey mojogunter, I found this thread looking for more info on adding studs to UTV tracks. I have Camso UTV 4S1s that I’d like to add studs to. Any chance you still have those Woody’s Gold Diggers that you offered up?

mojogunter

Yes they are still sitting a box on a shelf in the garage. You are welcome to come and get them. I am in Andover.

Hey mojogunter, I found this thread looking for more info on adding studs to UTV tracks. I have Camso UTV 4S1s that I’d like to add studs to. Any chance you still have those Woody’s Gold Diggers that you offered up?

dolaGon

Shoot. I’m in CO. Could you ship? I could venmo/zelle/cashapp any chipping charges. Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.