Tough weekend (10/9-10/10) fishing on Cedar

• JoeMX1825
    MN

uggg, my party of 4 threw the kitchen sink (we mostly fished for Muskie, but then got frustrated and switched to rattle traps to try and catch anything) at the fish this past weekend on Cedar (Friday-Saturday) and all we caught were 2 dink Pike…not a single bass and only 2 lazy follows by smaller Muskies. Has the lake not turned over yet? was the beautiful weather the reason? The fish should have been putting on the feedbags but it was just dead out on the water… Anybody else have any luck?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We hit the river just north of Cedar. Bass where slow but still caught a couple nice ones. Walleyes had taken over the bass spots and where very active. Think this gal had a walleye in her and was still eating.

Attachments:
    1. 20201012_215156.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

nice fish! it was very strange on Cedar, as if the entire lake just shutdown for some reason…I suspect turnover was happening, but i’m no expert… water temps were between 50-55 degrees….

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I suspect turnover was happening, but i’m no expert…

There’s either a visible thermocline, or noticeably cluttered water column and no thermocline.

Turnover will clutter a lot of the water column due to the churning of the stratified water column. It doesn’t take long and that cluttering settles out.

tim hurley

Fall can be tough, this time of year I always bring live bait, I don’t start with it, but it is a nice option. As Mike mentioned a nearby river is also a good plan B.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.