Tough bite for me

• tim hurley
    Participant

Yesterday went to a lake that has produced for me since right after ice out. Lake always seems to have fish in basins from 18-20fow. Ok they come in to spawn but then they are back. Yesterday the surface temp was at 80 and my graph showed a thermocline at 15′. Looked at my spots that have been good and pushed in to 15′ and that was ok, got a few . So look for the thermocline in those dark basin lakes and go from there. That said with surface temps at 80 they can only push down to 15′ they really cannot escape the heat too much, so hang in there, expect a tough bite or switch to catfish!

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Went out Saturday for bass. Bite was tough switched to plastics for panfish and caught a ton of both crappies and sun fish. Wasn’t anything very exciting but it salvaged a trip that would have otherwise been very tough panfish wanted big baits, bigger then I had expected

tim hurley
    Participant

Upsizing could be a good option. Thx

tornadochaser
    Participant

panfish wanted big baits, bigger then I had expected

We’ve been pulling small cranks (#3, #4 salmo hornets, SDD04 and SDD05 rapala shad dancers) for bluegills on a local lake since last week. Bonus, you’ll get pike, smallies, white bass, and walleyes as well.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    panfish wanted big baits, bigger then I had expected

We’ve been pulling small cranks (#3, #4 salmo hornets, SDD04 and SDD05 rapala shad dancers) for bluegills on a local lake since last week. Bonus, you’ll get pike, smallies, white bass, and walleyes as well.

We were originally walleye fishing and then gave in to the sunnies and crappies.

tim hurley
    Participant

Slow again for me, tried upsizing, no go. Problem for me is crappies are not schooled up like they were, and these small pods were at a variety of different depths. Might be time to fish bass for a while. friend used to tell me that if you are comfortable fishing will suck-yesterday was about as nice a day as you would hope for.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

friend used to tell me that if you are comfortable fishing will suck-yesterday was about as nice a day as you would hope for.

Haha. Yep. If its “nice” out, generally the bite is not going to be very good…and there is also going to be more people out. Yesterday was one of those days where I would have just enjoyed being out there regardless of how poor the fishing was though.

Rain is your friend Tim.

Next week looks HOT.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Went out with grubson today looking for walleye and ended up bringing a bunch of nice crappies home. But they wanted meat, minnows, wouldn’t touch leeches, but inhaling fat heads.

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

Fish are pretty spread out, but they are fat so they seem to be eating well. Alex area last night.

Attachments:
    1. 0CC737E3-E2C3-4649-963A-2AA3011A13F4.jpeg

2. EC8E90F8-2F26-40D8-B0F5-FF14DC954300.jpeg

3. 002D69B5-2453-4EE5-A807-CB08BFC472CB-scaled.jpeg

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I fished on and off for two days at the cabin to put together a meal of panfish. Dock and boat. Ended up with 11 keepers. 4 gills, 5 perch and 2 crappies. One of the perch was 13″. Possibly the largest perch I have ever caught in my life. Also a 13″ crappie. I fished alot, determined to get a meal for my wife.

Tinker
    Participant
    Iron Range

Same thing for me. Thermocline started at 20 ft. Marked fish 16′-19′ no takers on
    1/8 oz jig and minnow. Downsized to 1/32 and used drop shot set up. Wasn’t great but picked up a few keepers.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Had another great evening crappie fishing in the heat last night. 10 ft of water with the kid. Burned a scoop of fat heads up in a hour and a half. Could have took our 2 limits home but didn’t want To.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.