Top three lures on Lake Superior

• Gino
    Participant
    Grand rapids mn

I’m trying to get a Lake Superior tackle box together for trolling on the big lake. I’m looking for confidence lures to get started for coho salmon. I’ll be using off shore planer boards and two hand crank downriggers. I’m planning a trip down to marine general in a couple days. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

J5 Jointed Floating Raps in gold fluorescent red and chart silver and #6 x raps in hothead, hot mustard muddler and hot pink have always produced well for me.

Gino
    Participant
    Grand rapids mn

Thanks James !

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Thanks James !

You’re welcome. My father-in-law lives just south of Duluth and he loves it when we go out and get the coho candy!

xplorer
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

I’ll second the pink x rap and also the clown in the same size. Also J-11 jointed rap in orange/gold, 57 Chevy bomber, Challenger in Mrs Kevorkian or blue/silver have put quite a few early season coho in the box for me over the years.

Gino
    Participant
    Grand rapids mn

Thanks xplorer, do all these lures come back into play in the late fall also?

chappy
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Been watching alot of videos and orange jointed scatter raps sound like the bomb. Actually anything jointed has been working. Can’t find any bright colored jointed scatter raps. Gonna go alittle north of Duluth to start..

Ty Kennedy
    Participant

Scatter rap minnows in hot steel, gold fluorescent orange, purpledescent, clown, and fire tiger have worked the best for us over the last two years. Plus the browns love them as well.

biggill
    Participant
    East Bethel, MN

Hot pink and hothead #10 x-rap. I’ve had much better luck with the bigger x-raps. When the tail feather gets worn off better get a new one out there. That white tail feather seems to be everything.

The orange jointed rap is good too.

The spin doctor f/f with a small light colored peanut fly can be killer too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.