Took the boy fishing for his first time

• Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

My son is 2.5 and figured it’s about time to get him out fishing. Brought lots of snacks, toys and his fishing rod to try and squeeze as much time in as possible. I was dragging a number 7 flicker shad on lead and he had the classic green fish tied to the end of his snoopy rod. He had a blast for nearly 2 hrs and hasn’t stopped asking to go again! No fish were caught although he did tell everyone at the access we did, already starting with the exaggerations. He thought the rod holders were pretty neat as well. After the 2.5 hrs he was ready to go back to the access and get ready for bed. I need to get on some fish now to show him what we are actually trying to do out there haha.

Attachments:
    1. Will-fishing-2.jpg

2. Will-Fishing-1.png

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Awesome sauce.

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

Awesome sauce.

I feel bad for your manhood every time you say that doah

rotflol

Remm Outdoors
    Participant

This is great to see folks taking out their little ones fishing. Keep up the good work!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

No fish were caught although he did tell everyone at the access we did, already starting with the exaggerations. He thought the rod holders were pretty neat as well.

Love this. Way to go Aaron!

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

Great job getting him out Dad! Start them young!

My son started when he was 18 months and hasn’t stopped since. At 4 years old he can now cast an open face all day. He caught this on the second cast last night. #5 jointed rap. It’s amazing how good they get so quickly!

Attachments:
    1. 20180730_194844.jpg

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

My son is 2.5 and figured it’s about time to get him out fishing.

My son started when he was 18 months and hasn’t stopped since.

Thanks for the benchmarks guys! My wife and I were just talking about this, I’ve got a 7-week old and I (kind of, not really, maybe) joked about putting him into a carrier and bringing him with to a pond with shore access I walk to. Like you guys, I just can’t wait to get him to start setting a hook!

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

I learned a lot about taking little ones fishing from the fine folks here, snacks, toys and the likes will extend the fishing time.

Joe that is awesome! I can’t wait until my sone catches his first fish!

There was a gentleman and his son at the access when we were loading up, and the gentleman told us about when his son caught his first fish. His son (now in his 40s) remembered the story and was cool in my mind that I am making those same lasting memories with my son.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Way to go, keep the passion growing. It’s never too early to get them on the water. Just wait for some good weather and go.

Attachments:
    1. facebook_58719.jpg

Rod Bent
    Participant

Way to go Dad! Take him early and often. I remember my first catch (a snapping turtle!) and that was pert near 60 yrs ago.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Had to add one more of that day

Attachments:
    1. 2012-05-27-14.02.34-1.jpg

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Aaron Kalberer wrote:</div>
    My son is 2.5 and figured it’s about time to get him out fishing.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>
    My son started when he was 18 months and hasn’t stopped since.

Thanks for the benchmarks guys! My wife and I were just talking about this, I’ve got a 7-week old and I (kind of, not really, maybe) joked about putting him into a carrier and bringing him with to a pond with shore access I walk to. Like you guys, I just can’t wait to get him to start setting a hook!

I don’t want to hijack anyone’s thread but I thought it’d be worth noting that I started my son and daughter(6) off with an open faced reel. They learned very quickly and now they’re quite good at it. My son had basic casting down at 2.5 years old. My daughter didn’t have the same drive but she is pretty handy with an open face too.

I now have a 7 month old girl and I can’t wait to teach her all I know grin

Attachments:
    1. 20180521_195120.jpg

2. L1010559.jpg

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Joe did you start them off with a regular fishing rod? Or did you have a shorter rod with an open face reel on it? I may have to give this a try this weekend, see if he can catch a bluegill off the dock.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I started my son off with one of my ice fishing rods with an open face reel. It didn’t take him long to get the casting down like Joe’s son. Once I found a good deal on a shorter rod I switched him over to that (48”). Don’t go too long, my son never pays attention to that or who is around him.

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Haha that’s how my son would be, maybe I will have to switch the green fish over to a real rod and start practicing. I can’t believe how young you guys are starting them on an open faced reel, it is awesome to see!

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I tried starting him off on a spin cast reel in the back yard. He had problems with it and didn’t want to use it since it didn’t look like dad’s rods. So I tied a weight on to my ice rod and rest is history. Grab one of your ice rods and let him play with it. If he brakes it you get to buy yourself a better one. waytogo

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

My wife and I talked about using ice rods initially as I too would like to just start with open-faced reel. However Aaron I may also have to get one of those with the green fish because that looks like something that could entertain him if the fish aren’t biting.

I think a “Fishing for new Dads” forum would go over well here.

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

Tuma, I like your thinking! I could go for a custom rod for sure, and this may just be the perfect reason for that haha.

Dan, I definitely am keeping the button rod just for how much fun he had with it in the boat, between that and the water toys in the livewell, he kept busy and out of trouble long enough to realize that cranks were not the ticket that evening.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It is a proud papa/grandpapa moment.

We still need to work on holding the rod and holding the fish…and possibly the smell of rotten cheese. LOL!

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Just over a week old.

Attachments:
    1. 20180716_131202.jpg

tindall
    Participant
    Minneapolis MN

My kids both started around 2. I went with the spincast rod/reel combos that are somewhere between a toy and cheap rod ($10-$20) so I wouldn’t have to spend time untangling. Hook, worm, bobber and abundant small bluegill got them hooked – while they are really small I mostly take them catching rather than fishing.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

We took our 2 year old out to a pier once this summer but he was mainly interested in turning the crank on the reel :).

Got a great tip from Ian at Five Lakes Lodge, prepare yourselves for this one cause you will be mad you never thought of it before.

Bring a water table in the boat for the kids to play with, fill it with lake water, and get ready for it, fill it with minnows! I know that would entertain both of my kids(2 and 12) more than actual fishing, at the very least if they got bored with bobber fishing or something they can splash around and see if they can catch any minnows.

tswoboda
    Participant

Just over a week old.

Hahaha great picture! I love that you are getting him out on the water right away.

I know the law in MN regarding PFD’s, but I’m curious on what are people’s thoughts on the practicality and safety of a newborn in a PFD vs being held, in a car seat/carrier, etc. Obviously there’s no wrong answer and being attentive along with common sense goes a long way.

With a 1 month old daughter at home, I’ve been thinking about this a lot the last few months. Living in lake country I’ve gotten advice from family, friends, nurses, and our family doctor who all live and raise their family on lakes.

My daughter has been on the boat quite a few times already and it’s been like a magic sleep machine for her every time. sleeping sleeping

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

My only advice is to try to do more bobber fishing than trolling with him until he gets the bug and is older. Kids want action.

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Yeah, that picture was right away, actually worked really well to lay him down in the car seat or swaddle on top of the life jacket and hold him. He was content for a couple hours! Also had the 11 year old niece and 15 month and 2.5 year nephews fishing too! Awesome day! That stolquist life jacket from Amazon is pretty great.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    Participant
    SW Michigan

Making memories, awesome job Aaron. Same goes for the other Dads and Grandpas. My Dad taught me, I taught my Daughter, and now I am teaching my grandson and granddaughter. Definitely was and is a special time that I will always remember. As you will too.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I’ve had my son fishing since he was 2. With a Mickey mouse rod and fake fish just like yours. Now he is 7 and is a better fisherman then most of my buddies, the trick is I let him have his own tackle box so he feels important. And when the bite is slow and the weather is right let him swim so he doesn’t get board. That way the boat is always a fun place to be

Attachments:
    1. 20171015_113017.jpg

2. 20171015_114403.jpg

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Oh and plenty of snacks

Outdraft
    Participant
    Western Wi.

That’s Fantastic !

Aaron Kalberer
    Participant

@tswoboda we stuffed our kid in the life jacket ASAP so he just wouldn’t know any better when on the water. My sister inlaw and her husband (Inlaws don’t do anything right) have not done this and now they have an 1.5 yr old and throws a tantrum anytime it is on. Remember the tickets and violations involved with little ones and no PDFs, to me it’s not worth risking. Our son wore one since 6 months old but I do believe he mad a trip or two on the boat in his carseat as it was nap time.

Awesome to hear from all the dads and grandpas out there! Love all the info, tips and stories!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.