Today’s task, is one I don’t see everyday.

• Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Lol! Cool stuff Bearcat. I don’t imagine everyday is gravy tho.

Never is it gravy. And on a day like today, we are 1 bad moment, rebar, wire break from every thing going south. It will happen, it’s not if it’s when

MNdrifter
    Participant

Cool stuff. Pretty sure I knew one of the guys that sat in that tower crane before it was taken down.

jake47
    Participant
    WI

I often hear from concrete guys that engineers “over-reinforce everything”. Seeing how much work goes into demoing this makes me smile. Maybe too much…next time I have a tower base to design, I’ll throw some #18s in there for fun, lol!

MX1825
    Participant

That’s cool stuff BC. waytogo
    Wish I could see you set that up. yay

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I often hear from concrete guys that engineers “over-reinforce everything”. Seeing how much work goes into demoing this makes me smile. Maybe too much…next time I have a tower base to design, I’ll throw some #18s in there for fun, lol!

Sounds like something dumb a engineer would do.
    This pad could be gone in a day and a half if we could hammer it with a back hoe. But it’s sitting on top of a tunnel and the tunnel walls are connected to the operating room. There is 0 tolerance for vibration. That’s why we have to go this route. But as for 2.25 inch rebar. I cut it often as I’m demoing beams, columns and other such. What’s worse is plate steel. We cut a mri room out on the uofm that was 8 inch solid plate steel no concrete, used this same system only different cable. Took months

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

That is some sweet stuff Bearcat.

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

AWESOME!!!

jake47
    Participant
    WI

Sounds like something dumb a engineer would do.

Haha…

What’s worse is plate steel. We cut a mri room out on the uofm that was 8 inch solid plate steel no concrete, used this same system only different cable. Took months

Did a similar room at a hospital one time. We discussed what would happen if they ever needed to remove it how it would be done. Now I know what the experts would do to remove it.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Glad you didn’t take that in a bad way jake lol, I battle with you engineers daily. And guys who build the prints. We all have the same end goal, but man do some guys take the hardest route possible.

jake47
    Participant
    WI

Glad you didn’t take that in a bad way jake lol, I battle with you engineers daily. And guys who build the prints. We all have the same end goal, but man do some guys take the hardest route possible.

Once upon a time, I may have, but with age comes wisdom or at least more chill… In all honesty, my favorite projects now are working directly with contractors through the design process in a design-build fashion. It is way easier to ask “hey, this is what I’m thinking. You cool with it?” before the information is even put into a drawing set vs. design/bid/build where all the questions come long after you are onto another job.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I think in a lot of industries there is a huge disconnect between engineers and anyone trying to work on what they created. It sure is that way in mine (Automotive).

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Love the “69”” blade. wink

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

They are 100% responsible! I understand the over engineering.
    Most reasonable engineers will take all field advice into consideration because we are there every day and time tested construction matters.

Remember, a 2×4 cannot be engineered but we do know that we can build walls with and set a roof on them.

birdswacker2
    Participant

No wonder the lady friend is jealous of the tan you stole her chair!

Ron
    Participant
    Victoria, mn

Oh goodness. I’m not very techy and have no idea how to do that either
    [/quote]
    Don’t sell yourself short, BC. The stuff you do is pretty techy too and I’d guess the ratio of guys who can do that to the guys who can download photos is a good 1 to 100,000. Almost as rare as unicorns. applause

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

I can’t imagine the bill to have equipment & guys on site that long for a project.

There are millions of jobs out there and some real interesting ones at that.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Careful BC, the lady sees how big of a rock you can cut and she will want a monster one on her finger.

Morel King
    Participant
    PLAINVIEW MN

What do you do
    When the weight of the concrete starts binding the wire blade?

Coletrain27
    Participant

What do you do

in the one picture you can see hes got some short pieces of rebar jammed in the crack

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Morel King wrote:</div>
    What do you do

in the one picture you can see hes got some short pieces of rebar jammed in the crack

Correct. Those are 8 ft sticks of 3/8 rebar. We have fed 12 of them in so far. I should finish this pull today and start over tomorrow on the next.
    I am pushing the machine to its limits and have this wire running at 22 meters per second. If you can picture that in a constant feed cable.

Red Eye
    Participant

Ha. Meters. Where is this canada? Stupid metric. Lol

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Ha. Meters. Where is this canada? Stupid metric. Lol

It’s a hilti saw, all German

Migz
    Participant
    Lakeville

22meters per second?!! That’s incredibly fast. If that blade breaks at that speed, what keeps it from destroying everything around it? These are good posts. Thank you!

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

22meters per second?!! That’s incredibly fast. If that blade breaks at that speed, what keeps it from destroying everything around it? These are good posts. Thank you!

We have had the cable break at the crimp 2 times. We have ply wood 2 sides of the cut. Shims on the back side. It is violent when it breaks. Very dangerous. Once this machine is on and running we stand away with a speed controller and emergency stop. You cannot be next to it. It blew 2 pieces of 3/4 inch ply wood apart like nothing.

birdswacker2
    Participant

That’s interesting!
    I might’ve had you on one of my jobs?
    I’m a supt with RJ Ryan

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

That’s interesting!
    I might’ve had you on one of my jobs?
    I’m a supt with RJ Ryan

I cut for fabcon alot and vosson and northland so it’s very likely. My main job is running a wall saw, so fabcon keeps us busy

troutbum
    Participant
    St. Paul

Ive been walking by you guys all week. That sure is a big project youre part of

catnip
    Participant
    south metro

That’s really cool stuff! Sounds like a fun job most of the time. I probably should have gone into that instead of auto repair, but then I would just have different engineers to curse.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.