Tipping Hotel Shuttle Bus Driver

• AK Guy

It’s a one mile drive from the airport to the hotel. What’s an appropriate tip to give the driver?

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I usually go with $3 a suitcase or $5 if there’s only one bag.

Dan
    Southeast MN

This post reminds me that I should add “we should end the practice of tipping” to the unpopular opinion thread.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Unlike restaurant servers, I doubt these drivers have a minimum they have to declare to the IRS. Given that, I tip these drivers based on what I perceive to be going the extra mile. Helping with bags, giving directions, etc are the most common. Often these trips are pretty basic so in that case I might go $1 to $2 per bag. The value of the “extra mile” is up to you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dang, how many bags do you guys travel with if you are tipping per bag. Must pack like my lady friend and bring 22 bags for a 4 day trip

tswoboda

Dang, how many bags do you guys travel with if you are tipping per bag. Must pack like my lady friend and bring 22 bags for a 4 day trip

If I’m by myself and have one bag then $3
    If it’s my wife and I each with one bag then $6
    If it’s my wife and I with 3 bags total then $9
    If it’s my wife and I plus our kids each with one bag then $15
    If it’s my wife and I and kids each with one bag plus 2 extra bags then $21.

It would have been easier to say $3 per bag but then BC would call me a lady

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

If I’m by myself and have one bag then $3
    If it’s my wife and I each with one bag then $6
    If it’s my wife and I with 3 bags total then $9
    If it’s my wife and I plus our kids each with one bag then $15
    If it’s my wife and I and kids each with one bag plus 2 extra bags then $21.

It would have been easier to say $3 per bag but then BC would call me a lady

Please break that down a little further if you got the time.
    In all seriousness, if service is good, leave a 20. If not then don’t tip.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If he / she doesn’t get out of the drivers seat they will never know.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Dang, how many bags do you guys travel with if you are tipping per bag.

No kidding. I bring one carry on when I go on vacation. That is all.

cheers

$5.00 is minimum Tip double’s if he is personable and helpful.Most drivers are struggling and trying to make ends meet. A few bucks makes a difference to them and won’t be missed by me .

tswoboda

Lol I’ll send you my spreadsheet.

Honestly tipping drivers makes no sense to me because I’d rather load my own bag and not have them touch it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Lol I’ll send you my spreadsheet.

Honestly tipping drivers makes no sense to me because I’d rather load my own bag and not have them touch it.

I agree. I’ll pay them the cost of the drive and I’ll move my own bag.

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

Charmin, Northern, Angle soft, White Cloud, Scott…..smh…

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Im probably the scrooge of this but Im really getting sick of every Tom and Harry asking for a tip and having tip jars everywhere.

big_g
    Isle, MN

$5

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Im probably the scrooge of this but Im really getting sick of every Tom and Harry asking for a tip and having tip jars everywhere.

A tip is a voluntary action. People can tip if it makes them feel good. Just remember if you tip somebody like a guide you are tipping the owner who sets his or her rate / pay. Is safe working equipment, knowledge, conversation, teaching considered above & beyond? Or is it what you paid for? Now if he puts you on a personal best fish or is above and beyond what you expected then yes tip them. Same goes for your barber, mailman, waitress / waiter mechanic. However just because somebody does their job doesn’t warrant a automatic tip.

Do you tip your tax guy, the cop that gave you a ticket?

I do tip the bush pilot that gets me in and out every time.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’m a scrooge with you. The whole tipping concept is full of flaws. I like to go to Vegas every once and awhile and that’s really a service-based town, and people everywhere cry out about tips for pretty much everyone. Often I like to point out that there are LV Metro PD officers standing on street corners with vests on in 110 degree heat protecting all of us, is anyone walking up to them and tipping them?

I realize I’m guilty of participating in derailing the OP’s question and I do apologize to the OP for that.

big_g
    Isle, MN

We do realize, some positions are courtesy positions ? Most hotels cannot justify having a person sit and wait to drive people around. Buying a large vehicle, hiring a correctly licensed driver… fuel costs, maintenance, insurance… etc etc. Sure they could build it into their price, but not everyone uses the shuttle and other hotels around them may not even offer it and then they are out of whack with their rates. The driver is hired to be courteous & drive safely, that’s it. Most are paid minimum wage, no benefits. The fact they get out of the seat, open doors, stack luggage and do it with a smile, is for basically 50% of their paycheck… in tips. Now are some places getting out of control… yes. crazy

(anybody notice haircuts cost 30-50% more post pandemic ?)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.