This is not what the ice needs

• Beast

Wish the lakes only got 5″ of ice all winter long, thats the best fishing is when you only can walk out. Trucks and houses put the fish in a no eat mood.

hell, me just drilling a hole in the ice does that!!!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I’ve had my small permanent house out in the Brainerd area for over a week now. Blocked it up with 2×4’s. Went out fishing this morning and there’s considerable overflow now. I had to put 4×4’s on top of the 2×4’s just to get the bottom of the house out of the water.

I’ve had my small permanent house out in the Brainerd area for over a week now. Blocked it up with 2×4’s. Went out fishing this morning and there’s considerable overflow now. I had to put 4×4’s on top of the 2×4’s just to get the bottom of the house out of the water.

AK, just curious, how much ice did you have before this storm? I haven’t seen a post like this for quite a few years. Permmy vs portable. I don’t care what kind of house you fish out of there’s nothing worse than the day after Christmas when all the people with their new portables show up on the ice right at prime time with their new augers, their kids and the neighbors kids, their footballs, their snowmobile’s, and they’re four wheelers. And you think we should all stick up for them?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

This post went south fast. I may as well chime in. Who really cares. Ice fishing has really dropped on my priority list the last few years. It could all melt for all I care and I’ll get the boat back out. LOL

Ripjiggen

AK, just curious, how much ice did you have before this storm? I haven’t seen a post like this for quite a few years. Permmy vs portable. I don’t care what kind of house you fish out of there’s nothing worse than the day after Christmas when all the people with their new portables show up on the ice right at prime time with their new augers, their kids and the neighbors kids, their footballs, their snowmobile’s, and they’re four wheelers. And you think we should all stick up for them?

If there is nothing worse then why do you go the day after Christmas.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Ahhh North Dakota where prime time is all day. MN ice fishing just doesn’t have the same kick it used to. Me and the fellas will happily death march an excessive amount of gear just to get away from people who complain about portables vs perms.

The more the merrier. Just don’t litter.

CaptainMusky

It’s exactly what the ice needs to keep the thousands of wheelhouses from infesting the big waters and allowing ice roads to previously unreachable locations. Sorry not sorry.

Brittman

In the metro my favorite time is between Christmas and mid-January. Ice thick enough to walk with minimal risk, but not thick enough for the full size pickup trucks.

In the metro you can replace ice castle with large hubs. The noise and chaos the large groups using them are crazy. Then you have the guys that tow people around with their sleds

I have a couple of small private lakes (more like a big pond) that I have access too. Fishing can be very good for big pannies, but best of all these places are quiet.

isu22andy

You can tell the ice is sketchy and the hunting seasons are dwindling jester

AK Guy

[/quote]

I’ve got 8” of ice. Just a bay a way there’s been trucks driving on the ice. Just over 12” there.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

The problem isnt the Ice Castles, but they all drive Chevy trucks that break down on the lakes!!!

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

. Because MOST of you younger kids are back in school. As far as the ice goes, last year the big snow came with only around 5 or 6 inches around here and complete a slush mess happened. As AK said we have 8-12 this year of good black ice (about 10 under my portable) so I think we should be better of this year. I have both a portable and a homemade permanent house and the older I get the comfort of the permanent one shines through.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Here in snowy Wahkon Beachside had a road for SxS out as far as the north side of Half Moon.
    Ben & Mike had 2 trucks working after dark clearing their ice laydown area. 3 or 4 rental wheelers staged.
    I think there will be a lot of holes punched when it turns cold on the road(s).

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

. Because MOST of you younger kids are back in school. As far as the ice goes, last year the big snow came with only around 5 or 6 inches around here and complete a slush mess happened. As AK said we have 8-12 this year of good black ice (about 10 under my portable) so I think we should be better of this year. I have both a portable and a homemade permanent house and the older I get the comfort of the permanent one shines through.

Doh k…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Need that Clint Eastwood Gran Torino gif here, “Get off my lawn” rotflol Go enjoy winter! Doesn’t matter to me if it’s in a hub, ice castle or piped out ATV pulling a sled. I’m still going to enjoy my time outdoors, and pick up my trash and any other I see left behind. Life’s short, enjoy it!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Need that Clint Eastwood Gran Torino gif here, “Get off my lawn” rotflol Go enjoy winter! Doesn’t matter to me if it’s in a hub, ice castle or piped out ATV pulling a sled. I’m still going to enjoy my time outdoors, and pick up my trash and any other I see left behind. Life’s short, enjoy it!

Well said Werm, not sure why we have to have this pissing contest over who leaves the most trash out there. As far as do Castle guys fish in portables some I know do not usually, most of them had skid houses before. Most years I have been on the ice for a month before there is even enough ice to think about taking it out. Once I can take it out I do and will admit sometimes we take the portable and bounce around, but it is hard to motivate yourself to leave your comfy house to go drill holes outside. Lastly the group I fish with most does not leave anything on the ice when we leave.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

The problem isnt the Ice Castles, but they all drive Chevy trucks that break down on the lakes!!!

i blame the vegan ice castle owners

i really hate those son of a bitches

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

In no way was I trying to point out who leaves more trash. I think that goes for a individual. I hate listening to generators scream bright ass lights every where, the natural lost courtesy you see the last 4 or 5 winters is getting bad. But again it’s just my opinion. And I again know it’s not every one but alot of dumb asses ruin it for others

stjoeguy

Meanwhile, back to ice conditions… Our lake froze over on December 1. Since then we’ve had about 6″ of very light snow up until the last few days. Today after 10-12″ of very wet heavy snow and days of 31-34 degrees dark spots are appearing on the lake where melting snow has settled or water has come up through cracks in the ice. It’s beginning to look like a repeat of last year with slush between the ice and the snow cover.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yeah this snow sucks. I was planning on getting out with the wheel house this weekend on Red. Now it’s not even looking good to drive out with the truck. Boondocks just closed there access and he was the one that thought I would be good to pull it out there with my 1/2 ton. flame

BC no worries man I understand what your saying about some of the crowd. However I did add a LED light strip to the Castle this year. Partially to make it easier to find when a buddy is coming out later, and well maybe a little to look cool.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s supposed to get real cold Sunday and next week this wet stuff will freeze up real fast. But yes this is to much for the lakes. It will be a slushy season

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If the ice rink I helped clear yesterday is a indication of what is happing to the lakes, Its going to be a REAL mess. This was before we added another 4-6″ of more heavy snow last night. On the Pond there was lots of standing water below the snow. Looking to be another Tough slushy year for sure at this point

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It’s supposed to get real cold Sunday and next week this wet stuff will freeze up real fast. But yes this is to much for the lakes. It will be a slushy season

The cold will help firm up the wet snow on top, but it would take some real extreme cold to freeze the water pockets below the snow. I hate that feeling of breaking thru the frozen surface snow and falling into the water pocket prior to making contact with the frozen ice. Its kind of scary, not to mention a ton of work to walk in. Oh well, such is life in Minnesota !!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

X2 – Could not agree more. The experience you get out of each outing is up to you !!!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

We’d be better off if it all melted and started over as I suggested before. But… that ain’t happening

Ripjiggen

X3. Lots of fun activities in all forms on the lakes. It’s winter in MN. Relax and enjoy it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Snapped this picture on my way to work this AM… lots of branches and trees down… this is 450th Avenue (Round Lake Rd), just north of Garrison, by Camp Holiday for those who know the area. Felt like I should of had a snowmobile, but thankfully I had a JEEP !

Attachments:
    1. 450th-ave.jpg

tim hurley

Early and late the swings in weather make a difference, but by January (pretty soon) we are usually about in the same place. Right now walk and be glad, because when the cars get out the bite slows.

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DaveB wrote:</div>

i blame the vegan ice castle owners

i really hate those son of a bitches

Do ya know what you call a vegan with diarrhea??? Salad shooter.

Iowaboy1

Snapped this picture on my way to work this AM… lots of branches and trees down… this is 450th Avenue (Round Lake Rd), just north of Garrison, by Camp Holiday for those who know the area. Felt like I should of had a snowmobile, but thankfully I had a JEEP !

Big G, I hope your oil cooler O-rings didnt give out under load!!
    Just razzn ya, Merry Christmas everyone!!

Ripjiggen

Did your low tire pressure sensor come on? Because mine always do.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.