This is not what the ice needs

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not sure how much snow others got, But we got 6+” of heavy wet snow around the St. Cloud area. That’s probably enough to really mess up the ice. I hate those wet slush pockets that form when we get heavy wet snow this early in the ice season. My daughter in Duluth said they have around 15″ now with another fair amount on the way today. That’s a mess for sure

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Should keep trucks and castles off the lakes. That’s what we needed. Makes for alot of guys to stay home. That’s another huge plus.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It’s what MN needs though. Moisture!

You are correct , Mn. does need it. I’d take 5 feet of it right before spring thaw. But not now !!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Should keep trucks and castles off the lakes. That’s what we needed. Makes for alot of guys to stay home. That’s another huge plus.

There is that. But it sure makes a mess, Even for the foot traffic guys

Jimmy Jones

Two Harbors hasn’t had 15″, 3-4 maybe unless the lot I was looking at got plowed yesterday but there’s no berm.

On another note in Two Harbors though, waves are breaking OVER the breakwater with regularity, so the big lake is in turmoil today.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Or this afternoon it rains instead of snow (in the southern 2/3rds of the state anyway) and knocks most of the snow down, and adds a couple inches of ice on top.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Once the temps drop Sunday this wet show will be nice and crispy to walk on.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

There is that. But it sure makes a mess, Even for the foot traffic guys

Yes it does but I’m still happy to keep the castle guys at home.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Cabin is in Itasca county I heard 4 inches of snow with 4 more expected. I was going to head up Christmas morning but if it’s to bad i won’t go. I’ll be up there alone and been down the slush on the ice thing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

When I looked yesterday morning. The forecast had the hourly temps between 32-34 Deg. for like 48Hr’s in a row. It seems strange that the temps would hold that steady for that long.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

5-6 inches of heavy wet snow in Aitkin MN. 34 degrees and the snow is settling. Cleaned the drive and haven’t been out on the lake yet.

B-man

The guys that bash wheelhouses crack me up jester

You do realize the vast majority of wheelhouse owners also fish on foot, in portables, and with machines too right?

We’re not at home, we’re in portables just like you.

Bearcat don’t you own a Firebrand? So it’s just Ice Castle owners who are evil? mrgreen

This snow is a bad thing for pretty much all of the lakes right now, the only blessing is it’s soaked with moisture and won’t act as bad of an insulator.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You do realize the vast majority of wheelhouse owners also fish on foot, in portables, and with machines too right?

I have nothing against wheelhouse owners, But I have to Disagree about the Vast Majority of them also fishing on foot or in Portables. Most of the wheel houses I see Set up and almost never come outside, Unless its to pee or refill the Generator. I don’t want to lump all wheelhouse owners in one big overall group. But more than a fair amount of them also tend to be human pigs ( Not that some foot travelers also are not ) But the problem of garbage on the ice seemed to get much greater with the increase in Wheeled houses.

Eyeman54
    Cloquet, MN

I am with you, I didn’t know I had to put myself in certain group being a “portable guy” or a “wheelhouse guy.” If you are a pig you are a pig, doesn’t matter what you are fishing in.

Eyeman54
    Cloquet, MN

Thank goodness I have a Glacier I guess. Dang Ice Castles lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lol no fire brand is gone. My point of the castles is the the extra pressure the lakes see, the generators screaming 24 hours a day x100 on Chisago and surrounding lakes. As for them still fishing I guess I haven’t seen them yet. It’s not knocking of owning one, it’s the 400 that park and make noise all weekend. And then say we’ll damn fishing was rough. Hmmmm.

JEREMY
    BP

I would almost say the opposite. I have an Ice Castle and I dont leave a crumb behind. Seems to me the guys that plop down their hub next to me are the ones that leave their cans, wrappers, cig butts, 1lb propane tanks, Minnow bags and every other damn thing behind when they leave. Maybe if everyone would worry about and take care of themselves alot of stupid problems would go away.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I am with you, I didn’t know I had to put myself in certain group being a “portable guy” or a “wheelhouse guy.” If you are a pig you are a pig, doesn’t matter what you are fishing in.

No group attachments needed.

And yes mine is probably a unpopular opinion but I watch the same things happen year in and year out. I realize it’s not everyone and I’m making a broad statement.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

it’s the 400 that park and make noise all weekend. And then say we’ll damn fishing was rough. Hmmmm.

Lmao

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

I have nothing against wheelhouse owners, But I have to Disagree about the Vast Majority of them also fishing on foot or in Portables. Most of the wheel houses I see Set up and almost never come outside, Unless its to pee or refill the Generator. I don’t want to lump all wheelhouse owners in one big overall group. But more than a fair amount of them also tend to be human pigs ( Not that some foot travelers also are not ) But the problem of garbage on the ice seemed to get much greater with the increase in Wheeled houses.

You missed my point.

I’m saying the vast majority of wheelhouse owners are on the ice RIGHT NOW, just like you (and obviously not in their wheelhouse) doah

I don’t know a single wheelhouse owner that only comes out of the woodwork when it’s safe to take them out.

They all love to fish, and fish however they can.

Getting the comfy shacks out is just a bonus later in the year.

I fish in portables, on foot, in a wheelhouse, off a wheeler, a snowmobile, in my big boat, in my 14′ Lund, from shore, in waders, in a canoe, a kayak, etc….

I’m a FISHERMAN, just like everyone else.

One day I’ll be on Lake Superior battling 5′ waves in my Grady White catching 25 pound Lake Trout, the next day I’ll be sitting on the creek bank a mile from my house catching 5″ bluegills.

Why? Because I love to fish.

We’re in a group together, no matter how we accomplish it.

People draw invisible lines of division and blame/hate others without realizing we’re all the same people.

Unless you own a wakeboat….then you can suck it mrgreen

AK Guy

I’ve had my small permanent house out in the Brainerd area for over a week now. Blocked it up with 2×4’s. Went out fishing this morning and there’s considerable overflow now. I had to put 4×4’s on top of the 2×4’s just to get the bottom of the house out of the water.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I would almost say the opposite. I have an Ice Castle and I dont leave a crumb behind. Seems to me the guys that plop down their hub next to me are the ones that leave their cans, wrappers, cig butts, 1lb propane tanks, Minnow bags and every other damn thing behind when they leave. Maybe if everyone would worry about and take care of themselves alot of stupid problems would go away.

You entitled to you opinion. I will have to say that the DNR, Conservation offices ( The one’s I know anyway ) and Lake shore home owners would mostly disagree with you. Good on you for doing the right thing and Cleaning up after yourself. You are correct, Everyone should do the same.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

You missed my point.

I’m saying the vast majority of wheelhouse owners are on the ice RIGHT NOW (and obviously not in their wheelhouse) doah

I don’t know a single wheelhouse owner that only comes out of the woodwork when it’s safe to take them out.

They all love to fish, and fish however they can or have to.

Getting the comfy shacks out is just a bonus later in the year.

I fish in portables, on foot, in a wheelhouse, in my big boat, in my 14′ Lund, from shore, in waders, in a canoe, a kayak, etc….

I’m a FISHERMAN, just like everyone else.

One day I’ll be on Lake Superior battling 5′ waves in my Grady White catching 25 pound Lake Trout, the next day I’ll be sitting on the creek bank a mile from my house catching 5″ bluegills.

Why? Because I love to fish.

We’re in a group together, no matter how we accomplish it.

People draw invisible lines of division and blame/hate others without realizing we’re all the same people.

You are correct I missed your point. I will have to say that I disagree that the vast majority of wheelhouse owners are on the ice RIGHT NOW. There may be some that are like you said and fish however they can. But there are others that have never set foot on ice without their wheeled houses. What the % is, We will never know. A fair # of wheel house owners think of it more as winter camping than they do of as fishing. I have had lots of them say to me they don’t even care if they catch a fish. Its just about getting away from the house for a few days. And there is nothing wrong with that. All I ask is that they pick up after them self and respect others around them who are out there to catch some fish. Part of the issue is also that with the size of some of these wheeled houses, They take up more space than 10 guys on foot or in Portables. There are places like Osakis where I sometimes think you could cross a bay from one side to the other simply by jumping from one rooftop to another.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The large majority of wheel house guys I know fo not do much fishing until the ice is thick enough for truck and trailer. But that’s just the group of dudes I know.

Again I painted with a very broad brush. My opinions only. Id rather not have trucks and permanents and 300 generators running all weekend on the ice. Again probably unpopular-opinion

CaptainMusky

You entitled to you opinion. I will have to say that the DNR, Conservation offices ( The one’s I know anyway ) and Lake shore home owners would mostly disagree with you. Good on you for doing the right thing and Cleaning up after yourself. You are correct, Everyone should do the same.

Not counting the fact they often leave human waste behind.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Wish the lakes only got 5″ of ice all winter long, thats the best fishing is when you only can walk out. Trucks and houses put the fish in a no eat mood.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Wish the lakes only got 5″ of ice all winter long, thats the best fishing is when you only can walk out. Trucks and houses put the fish in a no eat mood.

Agreed. I get a lot of fishing in before the first truck goes out on the ice.

tswoboda

I fish in portables, on foot, in a wheelhouse, off a wheeler, a snowmobile, in my big boat, in my 14′ Lund, from shore, in waders, in a canoe, a kayak, etc….

OK Dr. Seuss jester

Seriously though I think it depends on the situation but you’re in the minority for my part of the state. Maybe on the big destination lakes it’s busy regardless of lake conditions. But I’m 100% certain the lakes around me see significantly less pressure on years people can’t drive trucks/wheel houses out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.