The Sweet 16 is back.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The hump is BACK in the sweetest gauge ever made for upland hunting. How did I miss this out of all the winter outdoors shows?

A few years back, Browning brought out a modernized version of the legendary A5. This spring, they are offering it in a 16 gauge! Did you hear the angles sing?

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/a5/current-production/a5-sweet-sixteen.html

I’m just so thrilled to see a new offering in 16 gauge from the company that made the gauge part of the legend. My father hunts to this day with the Remington branded version of the A5, the Model 11 in 16 gauge. In fact, he has never personally owned anything bigger than a 16 gauge, he used a 16 for waterfowl until he retired from shooting ducks.

I have handled the new A5 in 12 gauge and it’s very nice. I said to myself at the launch of the new A5 that a 16 gauge would never happen. I have to have one!

But it seems that I’m not alone. A few feelers have not been positive. Availability is limited to say the least. I wonder what the chances are of getting one this year?

Anyone else see this announcement and have to have one?

Grouse

basseyes

I “need” one! What a sweet looking heater.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

What about ammo for a 16? Hard to find? more money?
    Only 16 I ever shot was a old Winchester model 97.
    Pump gun with a outside action and a exposed hammer.
    I thought it was kind of dangerous!

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I haven’t purchased any 16 ammo in a few years but I have no recollection it was difficult to find whether steel, lead, copper plated, etc. I currently have two: a Winchester Model 12 and a Citori Super Light. I have my eye on another shotgun to add to the roster but it won’t be another 16. I think I’ll defy popularity and go with a 28 double as a grouse/woodcock gun.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sweet! You aint kidding they are hard to find. I just went looking, thinking I could point you in the right direction and all I could find were vintage models. Must be early yet. Good luck. Hopefully they start becoming readily available soon.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What about ammo for a 16? Hard to find? more money?
    Only 16 I ever shot was a old Winchester model 97.
    Pump gun with a outside action and a exposed hammer.
    I thought it was kind of dangerous!

Ammo certainly isn’t as common as 12 gauge, but I don’t find it particularly hard to find. The selection is more limited generally, but I’ve never had trouble finding it when I wanted it.

Browning is coming out with its own line of 16 gauge ammo to support the gauge, so if anything, selection and availability will improve.

There isn’t the VAST range of loads and configurations available compared to 12 gauge, but in the bounds of reality, very few of us are going to hunt ducks or turkey with a 16. In all reality, this is an upland gauge and that’s where the bulk of the load selections are focused.

16 gauge is a little more expensive, but in this day and age, for hunting the cost of ammo is a laughably small part of expense ledger. I’m sure I spend more on egg McMuffins every year while driving to various hunting endeavors than I spend on ammo.

Your Winchester 1897 is a classic of design from the Golden Age of American hunting arms designs. If you don’t already know, it will interest you that your 1897 has the same father as the Sweet 16. They are both John Moses Browning designs.

A 16 gauge 1897 in good condition is relatively rare, and certainly an incredible piece of firearms history that should be cherished and held on to. It is hard to convey what a marvel these firearms were in their time. If you look at the prices that Winchester charged back when these guns were new, it gives a sense of just how these guns were positioned at the time–on the top shelf with what today we consider much “higher end” firearms.

I have my great grandfather’s 1897, he bought it new in 1903 or 04. It cost him a significant sum for the time. My grandfather recalled years later that in Edvard’s hands, the 1897 inspired awe and envy. It’s choked a very tight full and it stones birds with tremendous authority. Obviously, the fact that it had 5 shots on tap would not have escaped anyone’s notice at the time, either.

The exposed hammer is what it is, and I think it’s good for all hunters to experience where we came from to understand where we are. At the time, no one thought twice about this because in all of mechanical-ignition history guns had never NOT had a hammer.

Grouse

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sweet! You aint kidding they are hard to find. I just went looking, thinking I could point you in the right direction and all I could find were vintage models. Must be early yet. Good luck. Hopefully they start becoming readily available soon.

I have now heard the same rumor from two different sources. A small group of big firearms sellers/distributors (I have seen no names) are rumored to have combined to buy the entire production run of Sweet 16s from Browning. Essentially, they are all sold before they have been produced.

No idea if this is true, but so far the 2 dealers I have checked with say the gun cannot be ordered and none of their distributors have ever seen one. Whether this is just because Browning is not yet accepting orders or because there are no guns left is not clear.

Grouse

404 ERROR
    MN

The new design Browning A5 has been well known to be an incredibly hard hitting autoloader. I have sold a handful of them to customers and all but one says they regret it. The one person who enjoyed it was an A5 fanatic. I own a number of older A5’s but not a single one of the new inertia design. Browning does a good job of refusing to call the new design inertia driven by calling it their ‘new’ Kinematic design.

I love my old A5’s and I will not own a newer one. What Browning did was completely re-design the internals of a gun and slapped a hump back on it to call it an A5. This move allowed Browning to market the gun to the older generations of gun owners who loved the iconic design of the A5. Now, other companies have done the same thing, but this is the most blatant example of it.

Looking through distributors, each one says they are ‘allocated’, which essentially means good luck. As Grouse said, it is relatively common for certain distributors to purchase an entire run of firearms to market them “exclusive”. Hicks, Lipseys and Sports South have all done that in the past couple years. It is incentive for the retailers to start an account with their company.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The new design Browning A5 has been well known to be an incredibly hard hitting autoloader.

By “hard hitting” do you mean that they kick hard?

I would also be interested, if you’ve shot a “new” A5, I assume they do not in-stock spring that gave the original A5 the unique “sha-poing” 2-way recoil?

Nothing will dissuade me from plunking my money down on the new Sweet 16 when available. Well, “if” available might be a better phrase to use.

Also, ME, have you heard, is this a limited run situation similar to the 16 gauge Citori, or is the A6 16 said to be a regular production gun? I might hold out some hope if it’s regular production, but as a special run my guess is there will be zero chance of getting one.

Grouse

404 ERROR
    MN

Grouse, you got it. Field and Stream did a comparison on the new auto-loaders and the new A5 had almost double the felt recoil than others on the market. I first shot the new A5 when they came out in 2014, the reviews were correct, it had much more felt recoil than my SX2, SX3, 11-87 and 1100. I actually shot a round of trap with a 3 1/2″ new A5 last weekend. It would not cycle 2 3/4″ field loads, but that can be a lot to ask about a 3 1/2″ gun. They do not feel anything like the old A5, the barrel does not recoil into the receiver at all. The felt recoil isn’t like shooting a BPS 10, but it is more than one would expect from a modern auto-loader.

I have not heard if it will be a limited run similar to the others. It would be a silly move on Browning’s part as there is a somewhat cult following to the Sweet 16. I will keep my eye out for some.

The best way for a consumer to see if a gun is in fact available is to check gunbroker.com for them. That is where most retailers will sell rare and sought after firearms. They can reach a premium price online versus on a wood rack in a small gunshop. I recently found and purchased a Browning M92 in .357mag on GB and they got a PREMIUM price for it. There is always someone willing to pay the asking price…sometimes you end up being the sucker…

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I have a new Sweet 16 on order. I never had issues with my Benelli Montefeltro’s recoil on game birds, so this new SW16 will be fine for it’s intended purpose, upland birds. I’m a big fan of the 16 gauge and regularly hunt with a few. One is an old Rem. M11 from 1933. Taken many a rooster with that gun, also an incidental hun, ruffed grouse, rabbits, and a few ducks with Bismuth. I also have a nice older Belgian OU that weighs 6 1/4 lbs. and a Beretta Silver Hawk SxS circa 1960. I just attended the “Sweet 16 Shoot” at the South St. Paul gun club. It was the 3rd annual and it’s put on by a couple of my shooting buddies. Grouse, you should plan on attending the next one on May 2017. (Maybe you were there.)

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

KS, where did you find a place that would/could order a new Sweet 16? Do you know which distributor the shop is using? PM me if you don’t want to put it out in the open.

I have not found a single gun shop that could order one, the shops and distributors are aware of its existence but I can’t find anyone who can place actual orders.

What is the ETA on getting one?

Had not heard of the 16 Gauge shoot. Would love to attend, but would have to purloin my father’s M11 as that’s the only 16 we still have. Unless, of course, I can get a Browning this year.

Grouse

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I was kind of wondering about this myself. I visited Browning’s website a couple of months ago to look into a stock issue on a BAR and saw the big announcement about reintroducing the Sweet 16. The way they promoted it, it sounds like they intend to make it a regular offering in their line up. I don’t know a lot about Browning specifically but I know they’ll let the limited runs sell out, then make more on a limited basis later on. It keeps the limited interest alive and pumps some life blood in their collectability. BPS Medallions and some Buckmark models, like the hunter, are like this. They make a few, let them sell out. About the time they start getting really hard to find they produce another limited run or updated version.

When I sought out more info on the Sweet 16, I too noticed that all the box stores were stupid to it. When neither Gunbroker or Wikiarms could produce even a single unit for sale, I determined that Browning hadn’t released any yet. Once they do, I’ll find it and check one out. I have no real need for one but I’ve always thought a Sweet 16 would be nice to have in the safe. My dad used to have one but he sold it for tuition money for us kids. I’ve looked at many old used ones but never found any that I felt were the right deal to their present condition.

resurrecting this post as I’m starting to eye one up myself. Recent reviews show it as a dang good gun. Most criticisms on the cycling issues come from not having enough oil in the guides and the trigger pull is heavy for how light the gun is.

Anyone have some experience with this gun after a few years?

Krh129

resurrecting this post as I’m starting to eye one up myself. Recent reviews show it as a dang good gun. Most criticisms on the cycling issues come from not having enough oil in the guides and the trigger pull is heavy for how light the gun is.

Anyone have some experience with this gun after a few years?

I have had 1 for 5 years and bought it at the same time as a 12 gauge A5. Just for context I decided to simplify and sold a number of guns ( down to these 2 a rifle and slug gun) and use the Sweet 16 as a grouse gun and hunt with it late in the day pheasant hunting. It is also my back up gun and like that it is super lite, the shooting mechanics are the same as my A5 which has also been trouble free
    I have had no issues other than the forestock cracked which apparently was a problem for many and had it replaced by Browning and have a good number of rounds through it since no issues. Finding shells has not been an issue and I hunt exclusively with steel.

Hope this helps.

Very happy with both guns, this coming from a Remington 870 and 11-87 stalwart.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Revisiting this from the OP in 2016. It’s probably pretty predictable but finding 16ga ammo right now is definitely a consideration. I would say availability and price has significantly changed.

Gitchi Gummi

16ga ammo is definitely hard to find and you pay for it when you do

Reef W

16ga ammo is definitely hard to find and you pay for it when you do

$15/box for regular 1oz 7.5 shot is what I’ve been finding online. Scheels has some 6 or 7.5 in stock usually but not much and it’s a bit more.

Gitchi Gummi

thats not bad for upland but I was more referring to waterfowl loads

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Luckily I have an ample supply of 1-1/8 oz 16ga field loads for upland. Definitely need longer range planning if you’re looking for something specific.

I purchased a 20ga in the fall of 2019 and with periodic looking never found a 1 oz field load. I finally opened up my Edina pocket book and ordered some 7/8 oz Bismuth. At least for the 20 I’m set for the kind of upland I want to do. Target, buck or non-toxic seems to be what you can find if you look around. Standard high brass lead field loads requires time and diligence.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.