The Masters

• lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I don’t watch a ton of golf, but I like the Masters. Maybe because this time of year I always have spring fever and it looks so lush there. Always gets the big-name golfers and doesn’t hurt that Tiger is trying to complete this year too.

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

I’m the same way. Never played golf, have no idea what the rules are. But guys are walking around in polo shirts on green grass and it’s warm out. Looks pretty good about now.

SR

bigstorm
    Participant
    Southern WI

I have noticed that since Tiger said he is planning on planning this week, that has made big headlines everywhere.

I have watched the Masters (or at least the highlights if Im out fishing) for the past 15+ years. I have to admit, with Tiger trying to join the field this year, that bumps it up a notch or 2 for me.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

I’m the same way. Never played golf, have no idea what the rules are. But guys are walking around in polo shirts on green grass and it’s warm out. Looks pretty good about now.

SR

The real masters are the ones that figured out how great the bass fishing is in some of those ponds!

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I love the Masters. Always fun with it just turning to Spring and having such a huge tournament. Only lame part is listening to Jim Nance cry all weekend long.

Sharon
    Participant
    Dakota County, MN

It’s been fun to watch since I happen to be watching when a guy got a hole in one! Apparently that doesn’t happen very often! Like my dad said, it’s nice to see the green grass and sun, and hear those birds chirping. I also enjoy listening to the commentators – they’re so calm and its kinda relaxing. I might try my hand at golf this summer and see how much harder it is than those pros make it look. smirk

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Every year I try to catch some highlights from the day’s tournament action. The shots these guys hit are amazing.

I always tell myself that my old lost golf hobby needs to be resurrected to more than a couple rounds per year, but there’s simply never enough free time and too much to do. Hopefully someday when life slows down (as I do) I’ll be able to get back into it. A cool crisp morning on the first tee box was always a great feeling.

AK Guy
    Participant

I make a friendly wager (a case of beer) with a buddy of mine every year on the Masters. Any IDO members want to chime in with who they think could win it this year. I’m leaning towards Cameron Smith, but could easily be persuaded.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I’m not a Huge golf fan, but like many others here I really enjoy watching the Masters. I golfed a little right out of college ( Many years ago ) Kind of started getting back into it a little last year. My main fishing buddy got a Corp. membership at a local course for this season and has me listed at one of his Corp. members, so the cost to golf a round is almost nothing. He said if were not fishing were going to be golfing this summers. Just started to get some equipment. Picked up a nice Bag and a Putter yesterday. My buddy has found me a set of nice irons, Now just need to get a few drivers and I’m all set. Really looking forward to getting back into it this summer.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

A Tradition unlike any other! That’s for Mahto, as I’m sure everyone familiar read that in Nance’s voice rotflol . I love the Masters, second favorite thing this time of year, after Rainy River! I like Koepka, Cam Smith or Spieth of the “favorites”, or Niemann and Zalatoris of the sleepers. The Tiger show will be interesting if he can stay in range of the leaders. Niemann is paired with Tiger, so we will see if he can handle the big stage/crowd early on!

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Love Augusta !!! Nance and his gushing over the different flowers.. Magnolias and the sort… too much. I like Fleetwood or Cantlay to win.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

I’ve been somewhat sucked-in to the Tiger story – Twice now I figured his career was over and here he goes again. Although he will never come close to matching his play from his pre-scandal years. His body has got to be shot. His back was already toast before his accident and now he has to deal with all the other problems that come with that. They gotta love the ratings though, everyone likes a comeback story.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

Love the Masters…I don’t golf much anymore but used to play weekly. I think the masters is up there with March Madness as far as TV sports events go.

CBS has got to love the Tiger story…viewership will be massive. I’m a huge fan of Tiger as a competitor. Only other athlete close to him was MJ imho.

stjoeguy
    Participant

The Masters is always a fun tournament to watch. The beauty of the course with all the best players makes for great TV. I saw a clip the other day with Tiger saying that his swing is not the problem, walking the course is what’s hard for him. I hope he can make the cut. Finishing 72 holes would be a bonus. I’m sure that’s the CBS wish, also.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I make a friendly wager (a case of beer) with a buddy of mine every year on the Masters. Any IDO members want to chime in with who they think could win it this year. I’m leaning towards Cameron Smith, but could easily be persuaded.

Right now Vegas has Rahm as the favorite at 12-1 followed by Thomas at 13-1 and several others at 15-1. They currently have Woods at 50-1. My pick for the win would be Thomas. That said I’ll be cheering for Rory Mcllroy.

Rick Z
    Participant
    Stark MN

John Rahm I am a little sad no Phil this year

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

CBS has got to love the Tiger story…viewership will be massive. I’m a huge fan of Tiger as a competitor. Only other athlete close to him was MJ imho.

It would be tough to argue who did more for their sport, Tiger of MJ. Lots of current player in both Golf and Basketball who owe a big thank you to those two for what their sport is today.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

John Rahm I am a little sad no Phil this year

I’m not sad for Phil – He was a idiot !!! Crapping all over a organization who made him who he was. I hope the PGA does not ever let him play again.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

It will be fun if Tiger is in contention. He brought a tremendous amount of new golf viewers and fans to the sport because he was so different than the majority of the stuff country club golfers. He showed emotion, which wasnt really a thing much before him.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I can’t stand the music they play. The slow symphony/orchestra style music when they show flowers and grass and birds gets pretty old. They need to pipe some Thunderstruck in there instead.

I used to be really good at golf in HS. Played varsity at Minnetonka. I suck nowadays. Don’t have the time to stay in playing condition. When I retire in 25 years I’ll pick it back up.

Nantz goes from the NFL to the Final Four to the Masters when he announces. Definitely not a one-trick pony kinda guy.

trophy19
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Only tournie I make a point to watch, especially Sunday 4th round. Gives one hope of green, warm and sunny weather will show up in a couple years…

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

I’ll be watching for a lot of the same reasons mentioned above. Especially those referring to the sight of green grass and the hope of spring! Hopefully Tiger can make the cut. Quite a story.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Especially those referring to the sight of green grass and the hope of spring! Hopefully Tiger can make the cut. Quite a story.

This weather is really wearing thin on me right now. Seeing green grass from afar might tick me off.

lindyrig79
    Participant

Even though we need moisture, this weather pattern is a grind. Could really use some sunshine

Has anyone heard if Tiger is playing for sure??

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Has anyone heard if Tiger is playing for sure??

As far as the most recent reports he’s planning to play. Now rather or not his body can hold up to walking the course for all 4 days or not is yet to be determined. He has said he will only play if he feels like he has a chance to win. If after a day or two and he’s a ways back and his body is in a ton of pain he may just withdraw. if anyone can suck it up and play through the pain I’d say it would be him. He’s played in pain and done well in many tourneys in the past

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Jarl wrote:</div>
    Especially those referring to the sight of green grass and the hope of spring! Hopefully Tiger can make the cut. Quite a story.

This weather is really wearing thin on me right now. Seeing green grass from afar might tick me off.

Just hop in the car and start driving south. It’ll start to turn green at some point I’d think. And gas is cheap! grin

Rick Z
    Participant
    Stark MN

Tiger’s tee time: His assigned slot: 10:34 AM on Thursday.

From the Athletic

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Just hop in the car and start driving south. It’ll start to turn green at some point I’d think. And gas is cheap!

Isnt that the truth! At least it has been dropping here lately. Down 35 cents in the last couple weeks.

lindyrig79
    Participant

Tiger’s tee time: His assigned slot: 10:34 AM on Thursday.

From the Athletic

Nice!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.