The Boat Center

• mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Just want to give a BIG THANK YOU to The Boat Center in Chippewa Falls.
    Had issues with trolling motor batteries last Saturday. Loaded the boat and took it to local marina to be checked out. Their tech diagnosed it as both Interstate AGM batteries bad and MK on board charger not charging on ANY of the 3 banks. Their estimate was $1200 and 2 weeks for AGM batteries. I was skeptical as the batteries are only 15 months old and usually chargers loose a bank at a time.

Well yesterday(Monday) I headed to TBC and arrived at 8AM. Had no appointment. Told them my problem and had it checked out by 930. Boat needed a new charger and 1 battery. Battery was under warranty. On my way home by noon and the bill was less than half what the other marina wanted. waytogo waytogo

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

I really don’t mean to pee on your parade, and I’m glad you got it figured out, but, aren’t you supposed to replace TM batteries as a set and not just one at a time?

munchy
    NULL

I really don’t mean to pee on your parade, and I’m glad you got it figured out, but, aren’t you supposed to replace TM batteries as a set and not just one at a time?

I wouldn’t be putting a new battery with a 3+ year old battery, but if they are the same brand/model/size and relatively close in age it should be fine. Not much can be done if it’s a warranty claim, unless you want to pay for a new battery to replace a still good battery. And that’s your choice if you do.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Glad to hear you had a great experience skeeter! I don’t worry about replacing them at the same time, never heard there was an issue with it. But I could understand there may be a performance difference.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>luttes wrote:</div>

I wouldn’t be putting a new battery with a 3+ year old battery, but if they are the same brand/model/size and relatively close in age it should be fine. Not much can be done if it’s a warranty claim, unless you want to pay for a new battery to replace a still good battery. And that’s your choice if you do.

Good to know!! I was just trying to figure out if the quote from the marina vs. the boat center was really that much off, ($250 a battery plus marina upcharge/labor). Sounds like the Boat Center got you the best deal!!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

In my experience I have always replaced in pairs. These AGM batteries were only a little over a year old and the 1 still tested like new so I took a chance on replacing just the warranty battery. My last set of AGM batteries are 9 years old and still being used in my bil’s boat.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Sorry to have missed you !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.