Thanks Sunset

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Just got back from a pretty incredible trip up to Sunset Lodge with James, Koonce, and all of our families. Which was a first for all of us. Typically the family and destination fishing activities are somewhat segregated, but this trip was evidence that you can have your cake and eat it too.

It’s a long-haul up there from where we live, and my wife was concerned that our boys, ages 7 and 10 wouldn’t have much to do outside of fishing. They’re anglers in training, and some days, they could care less whether or not they wet a line. Truth be told, I was a bit concerned myself in case they didn’t seem to have a mind for much fishing. Mornings were spent doing some trolling with James and company, with afternoons and evenings being anything from eating in the bar, to catching crayfish and feeding pelicans. Swimming, mud-fights, stick baseball, tubing, rope swings…..I think you get the point. Even if your family doesn’t flip for fishing like you do, this is a great destination to get in the fishing that you want, with all the other items and amenities that they want.

From Dan and his incredible fishing knowledge of 40 years in the islands, to the cook Caputo and a phenomenal shore lunch…..to the staff and everyone there. The dock crew didn’t let you leave the dock or get back in past the breakwall without being right there on the spot to help you with everything from driving your bags up to the room in a golf cart, to helping you tie-up and secure the boat for the night. I’ve stayed here in the winter and summer, but never with my family. Thanks for making their vacation as fun as mine was, in all the little ways you helped!

Attachments:
    1. SunsetLOW-0032.jpg

2. SunsetLOW-0263.jpg

3. SunsetLOW-0138.jpg

4. SunsetLOW-0267.jpg

5. SunsetLOW-0160.jpg

6. SunsetLOW-0233.jpg

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Here’s some more shots from a morning of fishing and some lunch on an island with a rope swing!

Attachments:
    1. SunsetLOW-0323.jpg

2. SunsetLOW-0317.jpg

3. SunsetLOW-0273.jpg

4. SunsetLOW-0316.jpg

5. SunsetLOW-0299.jpg

zubba
    Participant
    potosi,wi

that looks like heaven.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

It was awesome wasn’t it !!
    It was great to see you and your family Joel !!
    Great people at a fantastic location !!

Again ???

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’m in!

Joel

francisco4
    Participant
    Holmen, WI

This sounds like a future summer IDO GTG location.

FDR

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m in!

Joel

Family Holst is down!

As for a GTG… it would make for a fantastic/perfect/unbelievable event. The distance might scare some off… but timid people never do anything fun and life’s too short. hah

I promise to kick this around with the owners. They’re great people and seem to tolerate our kind pretty well.

leroy golden
    Participant

Went on the ice gtg was hoping for a summer one love to do it again this winter for sure

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.