Shotgun – Point of Impact

• Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

A recent Ducks Unlimited article got me thinking.

Without going out and pattern testing a bunch of shotguns, is there anywhere that has data on point of impact for shotguns?

For example, some guns will have 60% of the pattern above point of aim. Some are more balanced.

Is this data somewhere?

Sully

whittsend

Doubt it. I’m sure its mostly up to the individual and how they mount the gun/line up the sights. Even if they did have that data, not sure what good it would do someone based on how each gun fits everyone differently???

2 cents

Mike

big_g
    Isle, MN

I think what he is doing, is basically asking for any charted “ballistics” for a shotgun, in basic pattern formulas. All things being equal, which weapon/ammo combination has the best balance, as far as shot impact. This would be very valuable info, but I doubt anyone has spent the time or money to do such a thing, as stated, a shotgun leaves more margin for error than a rifle. I will say, alot is being learned by turkey hunters and the “patterning” they do with their turkey loads and various shotguns You can probably google alot of articles and info on turkey loads and impact

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

What are you going to be using the gun for and what kind of gun are you looking at? Both Whit and G have great points. I guess when I read the post I thought you were referring Point of Impact in regards to how the gun is set up. For example, a competition trap gun is going to be set up to have a POI above the bead because alot of trap guys shoot the target as it rises and still want to visually see the target where as a skeet or hunting gun will have a POI set more inline with the bead as it is more necessary to track a target side to side.

I don’t know where you would find this kind of data other than researching specific guns and reading anything you can find on them. Also talking with someone at a gun shop or a head guy at a larger sporting goods store. As stated however, each gun will work a bit different with each individual due to fit, as well as each load and manufacturer will shoot differently through each choke and choke manufacturer (slightly to major). A general rule of thumb for what your question suggests to me is this, a trap gun will have a POI that is largely-mostly above the bead, a skeet gun POI is slightly-moderately above the bead, and a hunting gun will be close to a 50-50 split.

Everything differs between each shooter, gun, load, and choke. I’ve seen a friend pick up my old mans Benelli SBE and smash every thing, buy a new one that day and pattern the same loads at 70-80% POI over bead and need stock shims.

From personal experience my advice would be find a gun that fits you, pattern some shells and chokes till you find what you like, then shoot in until you don’t need to see the bead.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I think what he is doing, is basically asking for any charted “ballistics” for a shotgun, in basic pattern formulas. All things being equal, which weapon/ammo combination has the best balance, as far as shot impact. This would be very valuable info, but I doubt anyone has spent the time or money to do such a thing, as stated, a shotgun leaves more margin for error than a rifle. I will say, alot is being learned by turkey hunters and the “patterning” they do with their turkey loads and various shotguns You can probably google alot of articles and info on turkey loads and impact

Exactly. I’m seeking data.

Anyone have experience with this source? http://www.gun-tests.com/

Sully

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would think you could get the basic POI on any shotgun by shooting a slug? Update:Maybe center of impact?

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Shotguns have too many variables to have it all covered in a chart. Basically, the relationship of your master eye to the bore will determine whether your pattern strikes high, low, left, right, etc. Raise the comb and you raise the POI, etc. You just need to work on a consistent gun mount and pattern your shotgun and go from there. There is no magic chart that will get you there. Good luck!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great info! I’ve always thought of it like golf. Make the same swing every time and you can then figure out where to hit the ball.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.