Tent waterproofing

• Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

My tent is starting to get older and took on a little water last year. Not enough to bother me but it did bother my wife. It’s still in great shape and I would like to get some more years out of it but if it even take on a drop of water again she wants to replace it. I have yet to have put any waterproofing on it. What waterproofing spray do you use and like?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Most likely it just a leaky seam someplace. The make a Roll on seam sealer. I’d start by just resealing ALL the seams. If its the fabric itself leaking, it is a whole other issue – I’d just replace the tent. I’ve tried several spray on products and none seemed to solve the issue.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

We have been in some high winds and the seam tape has come off on some of the corners but that is above where the rain tarp is.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

The $5 bottle of seam sealer from Gear Aid worked for me. 18 year old REI 2-man tent still keeps us dry.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ve used a couple cheap waterproofing sprays on other items from stores and they didn’t work worth crap FWIW

Rick Janssen

I re seal my seams EVERY year on the tent and fly and spray the rain fly and floors with waterproof spray. I don this inside and out. I use my tent hard on canoe trips and with this system I have NEVER had a leak. One year I tented with another person and they had not done the seam sealer for a few years and we were soaked. It rained every other night so it was terrible. I figure just a few hours each season to do the waterproofing right is a small price to pay for a dry tent.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Rick what brand of spray do you use?
    Has anyone tried the Star Brite waterproofing with PTEF?

catnip
    south metro

I use camp dry spray on boots and the tent and it works great.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I got a spray from Midwest Mountaineering that worked really well. I can’t recall the name/brand but if you call or stop in they will give you recommendations.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

On my boat cover I use Thompsons water seal it has never leaked a drop of water.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.