Tent Camping

• jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

Anybody still dedicated tent campers? I have a few questions. First off, is there a store that even sells the good stuff anymore, or is it all online? I am go and look at it guy when I am buying things. I was in Scheels and they have very limited selection of stuff on the shelves. I stopped into a Cabelas and a bass pro recently, and that dead horse has been thoroughly beat, but wow… That’s the place to go for an overpriced travel cup and some low quality casual wear that will make yo look like you are an outdoorsman. Everything I have found in my go to stores from years ago when I camped a lot was entry level, lower quality, replaceable stuff. Secondly, are there some suggestions for places to look online at some higher quality stuff. I have found lots of backpacking type stuff, but I am looking for more car camping type equipment.

James Almquist
    Participant

I know it would be a long road trip but REI in the cities would be the place you would find the better quality gear. They also sell online if you want to look and price before buying. I picked up my self-inflating mattress pad from them and could not be happier. Really good quality!!

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I tent camp all summer long. Rei is a great place to shop. In the classifieds here I just posted a msr tent for sale. If your looking for a quality tent there are many out there. Kelty is top notch msr is top notch but even the lower grade tents these days are awesome. Just make sure you get the footprint with it and the rain fly covers the entire tent and has protection for out side storage as well. If you are planning to car camp I actually use a bigger Kelty and it’s awesome. For backpacking I run msr or my mountain hardware tent.

Deuces
    Participant

Joes sporting goods has a memorial day sale going this weekend, might be worth a look. They carry quality brands

10klakes
    Participant

REI anniversary sale is currently going on, in store or online.

jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

I have a Kodiak Flexbow tent, It is great and I often times camp in a spot with electricity and use a air conditioner inside the tent. It is great. I also run a big hub style screen house and can set up a kitchen inside of that and have a place to sit in the shade during the hot afternoon suns. I am generally looking for a better cot system. I have the cabelas XL cots now, but they take up a ton of room, and are not all too comfortable. I have to put a twin air mattress on top to be able to move in the morning. Also looking for some kind of a chuck box to keep dry goods and utensils in.

jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

The plano trunk is what my kitchen is in now. I am looking for more of chuck box style. Like they use in scouts. I saw once there was a company in MN that was making them, but I cannot find them again.

Ron
    Participant
    Victoria, mn

Google “chuck box”.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

another store to check out is midwest mountaineering. ive never been there but i know they do classes and seem to have a dedicated hardcore staff. looking at pictures of their store online they seem to have a lot of nice gear in there

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Cabela’s actually has a really nice camping section, good place to go play with stuff then either just pull the trigger or shop around to find the best deal.

jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

Which Cabelas?? I have been in 2 different ones in the last 45 days and was disappointed. Also was in 2 different Bass Pro shops recently and those were just as bad or worse. If there is a good display of equipment in one of the stores, I would make it a point to get to that specific store, as my former “go to” stores are now just not worth going to.

Browndog
    Participant
    Omaha, NE

X2 on the Kodiak Canvas flex bow. You will not find an easier tent to set up and it is EXTREMELY durable/weatherproof. I’ve been wanting to explore the A/C idea too…i’ve heard lots of good things.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Not sure if you get up into MN often, but might be worth a trip to REI in Bloomington, Scheels and Sierra in Eden Prairie. We were gifted a Marmot 4 person tent that is awesome and super easy to setup, but I understand they are a little more spendy.

Aboxy17
    Participant

I find myself doing more and more hammock camping. Unless there is rain or terrible bugs hammocks are much easier and enjoyable to sleep in. BWCA trips most of us end up in the hammocks every night.

tswoboda
    Participant

another store to check out is midwest mountaineering. ive never been there but i know they do classes and seem to have a dedicated hardcore staff. looking at pictures of their store online they seem to have a lot of nice gear in there

x2 Midwest Mountaineering has the good stuff but even that is mostly geared towards lightweight backpacking.

If you’re looking for the kind of stuff that goes with a Kodiak you might be stuck shopping online. Maybe Duluth Pack in Canal Park or Piragis in Ely? Paddling stuff is more HD and both have online stores too.

queenswake
    Participant
    NULL

Hoigaard’s in St Louis Park used to have a lot of camping stuff. I have no idea if that stayed true after they were bought by that Ski Resort. I haven’t been in there for years.

I would also look at some of the Ely stores. They probably focus most on the smaller tents to take portaging, but might have a wider selection.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Which Cabelas?? I have been in 2 different ones in the last 45 days and was disappointed. Also was in 2 different <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Bass Pro shops recently and those were just as bad or worse. If there is a good display of equipment in one of the stores, I would make it a point to get to that specific store, as my former “go to” stores are now just not worth going to.

I suppose they don’t have everything set up and on display, but the one in Woodbury does seem to have a sizeable camping section of items in stock physically. In terms of set up and on display I’ve never seen anyone other than Costco have tents set up and on display, and their camping stuff is seasonal and limited at best.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.