Target announces initiative to replace single-use packaging

• phishingruven
    Participant
    tip of the mitten

you are all about telling people to google. try googling the great pacific garbage patch. fishing line is the least of the problem.

Hey
    Participant

you are all about telling people to google. try googling the great pacific garbage patch. fishing line is the least of the problem.[/quote

Sure that is a problem but it originates from another part of the world. Floating plastic gets all the media attention but it’s actually the least harmful. Its plastic and floats and it’s evil.

Edit**What about all the garbage that doesn’t float in the ocean? Ever since ships sailed the ocean all the garbage gets tossed overboard. All the Navy’s in the world, and the freighters, cargo ships, etc for 100’s of years. All the chemicals, gas, oil, etc. etc. that’s a bit worse then floating plastic bottles.

Cigarette butts are arguably the worlds worst plastic pollution.

Hey
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hey wrote:</div>
    What about tying a new lure on, Double uni knot, tying a snap, whatever it is. Where do those tag ends of fishing line go that are cut off? Millions of people doing this daily.

I can’t argue against that one. If you consider an inch of line to be a problem when re-tying, I’ll try to make sure all of it ends up where it should – not in the lake.

I was more simply referring to the balls of wadded up fishing line we’ve all seen on a shoreline or wound up around a trolling motor, etc.

It’s actually the small pieces of plastic that have the most harmful effect on life in our lakes if you think about it.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

It’s actually the small pieces of plastic that have the most harmful effect on life in our lakes if you think about it.

I would tend to think that a big ball of discarded line wrapped around an eagle, loon, or muskie would be a bigger problem than a 1 inch section of trimmed line that sank to the bottom.

ganderpike
    Participant
    Alexandria

Fishing line pollution is a weird hill to die on when you could pick about anything else and have a valid point.

Matt Moen
    Participant
    South Minneapolis

I’ll give Hey some credit for sticking with his argument. I will also agree with him that fishing line is an issue. But, it’s so small compared to the other issues around plastic waste.

I’m glad Target is addressing it however they can. And to Hey’s point, people should be more educated on how to properly dispose of plastics, too. That will help keep plastic out of our waterway’s.

Deuces
    Participant

Target is just one segment of the much greater consumer industry. As I said before it’s great they are going to do what they can with small steps to eliminate excessive packaging that Hey eludes to from shipping, and the whole manufacturing process in general. Target starts, then maybe it jumps to SuperValu, then possibly other local food/clothing retailers, then the pressure is on the bigger national retailers to get on the bandwagon, then who knows maybe even Amazon sees the trend and they start in. Then that idea crosses over to different industries, perhaps we will even see it in fishing one day.

But you don’t get there, unless someone starts somewhere.

This world is so full of people just wanting to condemn any little thing bc it’s not perfect and I’m just not sure why that is. The world is imperfect, we are all imperfect, therefore all of our solutions will be……wait for it…..imperfect.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Exactly! bow

Big changes start small.

Hey
    Participant

Fishing line pollution is a weird hill to die on when you could pick about anything else and have a valid point.

I’m 100% for fishing line. Again, I like my plastics in the world. I know what type of plastics my township will take and the rest will go in the garbage.

And it’s okay to throw plastic in the trash. In fact it’s more sustainable in most cases to do that. You can actually create more wasted energy and your actually making things worse trying to recycle everything from an energy standpoint. But it sure feels like your doing something good.

Plastic are good. Not all Plastics make sense to be sustainable.

There will be a time when the greenies come for plastics in the fishing industry and we should get prepared for it.

Oh wait….It’s already happening with flurocarbon fishing line. 50/50 or greater that will be gone in a few years.

EPA working to ban PFAS.

Careful what you wish for and what bandwagon you jump on I guess.

Hey
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

Exactly! bow

Big changes start small.

What small changes is the fishing industry taking that will become big changes?

Deuces
    Participant

When did anyone bring the fishing industry changing anything into the conversation? Noone. Only you on your weird diatribe of fishing line. Get over it dude.

Hey
    Participant

When did anyone bring the fishing industry changing anything into the conversation? Noone. Only you on your weird diatribe of fishing line. Get over it dude.

Everyone is mad to go green. Without understanding what that means.

Praising target for sustainability (recycling)and small steps forward. We can’t even fish without plastic line. And none of its sustainable and it’s not recycled.

Ignorance is bliss

CaptainMusky
    Participant

We can’t even fish without plastic line. And none of its sustainable and it’s not recycled.

I was of the understanding that fishing line placed in the large bins at retailers is recycled. Are you suggesting its not?

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

if you think the world is so naïve and uneducated about plastic and recycling instead of being an arrogant condescending moon why dont you hit the pavement and start teaching people how to do it correctly. People want to go green because they want to make the world a better place. Whats so wrong about that? Maybe they need more education to actually achieve what they want to achieve. Whats so wrong about that?

Sounds like you are in a position to make a difference through your vastly superior knowledge

CaptainMusky
    Participant

It’s actually cigarette butts. Those are made of plastic too.

I have yet to smoke a cigarette that had a plastic butt.

Hey
    Participant

I’ll give Hey some credit for sticking with his argument. I will also agree with him that fishing line is an issue. But, it’s so small compared to the other issues around plastic waste.

I’m glad Target is addressing it however they can. And to Hey’s point, people should be more educated on how to properly dispose of plastics, too. That will help keep plastic out of our waterway’s.

Being a fishing forum and not a Target forum…

Let’s look at red lake. I would think that fisherman’s plastic waste would be far greater then target clamshell packaging.

Also think about all the salt, and road chemicals all those trucks and wheelhouses pick up on the long drive north and deposit on the ice.

Then all the slobs who leave garbage all over the ice.

Praise Target and hide our heads in the sand. Or maybe people just don’t know.

Deuces
    Participant

Nope, I’ve come to the conclusion this is a very well played troller.

Well played Hey, well played.

Reading this in retrospect it’s gold.

toast toast toast

And if not I pray for your sanity lol. Worlds gotta be a tough place

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I was of the understanding that fishing line placed in the large bins at retailers is recycled. Are you suggesting its not?

That’s where I place all my old fishing line too. Of course, I can’t confirm that it makes it to where its supposed to though. Doesn’t seem like a gimmick to me either. But I have no way of confirming that it isn’t.

Hey
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

That’s where I place all my old fishing line too. Of course, I can’t confirm that it makes it to where its supposed to though. Doesn’t seem like a gimmick to me either. But I have no way of confirming that it isn’t.

Is it being recycled back into fishing line?

Where do you recycle your other fishing plastics when they get work out? Swim baits, worms, crawfish, etc etc.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Is it being recycled back into fishing line?

Where do you recycle your other fishing plastics when they get work out? Swim baits, worms, crawfish, etc etc.

I throw that in the water like everyone else. Man, you are something else dude.

Hey
    Participant

There’s not a sport, recreation, or industry more reliant on plastics then fishing. Without plastics, fishing would end as we know it.

It’s always the big companies that need to “do something” to make the world better. Small steps for big results. Gotta start somewhere. It’s always someone else’s job to do this. No ownership or sense of personal responsibility of what each individual can do better in your backyard in your own sport.

Plastic is not evil. Slobs who can’t throw anything in the garbage are.

Last point on this thread and I’m done. I came to this forum as I was ignorant in many things about fishing. Ignorant isn’t a bad word, just means you lack knowledge and awareness.

So much ignorance on plastics and recycling from the first post down.

Do you know how much waste is created trying to be “sustainable” and feel good about making small steps forward.

Landfills are sustainable.

You think your doing the world a favor throwing your line in the “ I would think they recycle this bin”? It’s better to throw it in the garbage.

I want you to think of some of the possible scenarios involved in getting plastic recycled.

How much gas, oil, etc and how many labor hours are used just driving it to a recycling center that will accept it? How much fossil fuel are you burning?

So recycling centers have vehicles that burn fuel and oil too. They also have labor hours. But what do recycling centers need to recycle and separate plastics? They need energy. Where does energy come from?

Power plants that run off coal, natural gas, and nuclear power.

They also need water.

So once it’s separated where does it go? How many more travels and truck hours and burned fuel and labor getting it to the next stage?

So then what’s the next stage? Well they gotta get it into useable form so that someone who makes plastic can like buy it to recycle it. They also burn fuel and use this thing called energy to make all this happen.

Then they need to sell it. In some cases from Texas all the way to MN. How much fuel, oil and labor hours are consumed doing that?

All the coal, natural gas, nuclear power, fossil fuels, labor hours used to do this..

You can actually “harm” the environment more trying to recycle then throwing it in a landfill.

Not all plastic should be recycled. And you want to burn more fuel, use more energy, and devote even more labor to recycle even more of it?

Look around at company’s falling all over themselves to be green and all the applause they get on this post and the ignorance of it all.

It’s all applause and clapping and smelling your own farts but your starting down the path of ruin for your sport and you don’t even see it.

And no one wants to clean up their own backyard! Small steps for everyone else to do.

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.