Tap vs Bottle vs Can vs ?

• Kurt Turner
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

Beer of choice thread got me thinking…

I drank my share of spotted cow bottles then we hit a pub with it on tap. Wow, for my beer palate that was a real game changer… same story with leinie’s honeyweis.

Then there’s the magic of ICE. Nothing makes beer taste more right than ICE! Dang near makes hamm’s drinkable. Almost…

Might hafta start another thread. What historic event triggered your interest in beer? Bet there are some good old stories of the past in that thread. Might be why I enjoy ice cold beers versus anything warmer. Germans and their room temp beer? No thank you

Deuces
    Participant

I need to clarify bc I’ve had my own fair share of ice so far this evening, but are you talking about putting ice in your beer? Or ice cold beer?

Had my first Hamm’s down in a bar on an island in red wing, thought it wasn’t bad at all. Then again the ambience was quite nice too…

Iowaboy1
    Participant

I learned to hate cans years ago when they were still made of steel and the pull tab could cut you clean through,even worse when you stepped on a rusty one bare foot,aluminum cans werent much better until they came with the tab thingy they have now.
    I loved ice cold beer in the bottle until some roosterfish figured out that if he/she tapped your bottle just so when it was full the blooming thing became a volcano like right flipping now.

keg,tapped beer is where its at,you can fill a glass as full as you want and drink it right down,after about fifteen or twenty of them,you can lean against the keg while you drink,and when you get too tired to lean against the keg,you can lay on the ground with the hose hooked in the corner of your mouth and push the button when you need a drink.
    too dang bad there is only sixteen gallons in a keg.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Tap > can > bottle

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Icy cold bottle,icy cold can and as a last resort tap.

Iowaboy… I’ve been to a few of them keg parties. toast yay whistling

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Keg fir shur. In high school I would stand at the keg with the tap in my hand, that way I got to meet all the Chicks. waytogo

brewerybuilder
    Participant

Tap is always better…as long as it is fresh. I love Guinness in Ireland but it doesn’t get drank enough around here so it is usually old and stale. Cans or bottles don’t matter to me. It always gets poured into a glass. Any good beer should always be drank from a glass. You get way more flavor when drinking out of a glass.

Side note…a keg (1/2 barrel) is 15.5 gallons not 16…Germans don’t really drink warm beer. Oktoberfest is the greatest time you can have with your close on. Done it twice.

Bassn Dan
    Participant

Tap>Bottle>Can

Nothing compares to tap beer. Bottled and Canned beer are MUCH improved if served in a frosted mug. I hate the tin taste when drinking from a can. I only drink beer from a can in emergencies…

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I hate the tin taste when drinking from a can.

Cans are aluminum. Kegs are aluminum. roll

tim hurley
    Participant

If you care about the enviroment and you save your cup-TAP wins!

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

There is nothing like a 3.2 beer hangover. There is nothing like winning “beer trophy’s” at softball tournaments.

Grainbelt Premium in a bottle.

Never Coors, never Budweiser, almost never Pabst. No matter how you drink these they are bad.

David Anderson
    Participant
    Dayton, MN

Beer of choice thread got me thinking…

Kurt,

Your picture give me the impression you are still a young man. Back in the 60’s most of the beers were made in the old style of German Beers such as Hamm’s, Schlitz, Pabst. In 1975 the beer market in the US changed forever with the release of Miller Lite and subsequent brands. The traditional heavier beers went by the wayside and tastes changed, brands disappeared. Hamm’s reminds me of the taste of a local beer I grew up with….Walter’s Beer, and it was great on tap. Now that the craft beers are taking a hold, there is interest in some of these older beers. Tap is always great unless the lines are not frequently cleaned, one can tell, sort of like cans that sat in the sun. Bottled beer is also great but again that depends on the storage. I know that most people think that room temperature beer sounds terrible however that is simply a conditioned reaction, I mean who doesn’t like an ice cold beer? On the other hand go to England and have a hand drawn beer that is hand pumped (no CO2) from the cellar (about 55 degrees) and it is fresh, delightful tasting and surprisingly good. I went to the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin for a tour and at the end you get 2 tap beers. I was completely disappointed, it tasted the same as the bar down the street. They stated that was the intent, Guinness is the same wherever you go. Poured with nitrogen to give the same tight foaming effect of a hand pumped beer before CO2 was used. I was expecting something more dramatic. I agree with brewery builder, glass is the preferred method for me. Each to their own I guess!

Kurt Turner
    Participant
    Kasson, MN

Shoulda been more implicit. Guess all these beer posts had my mind a whirl.

Have you ever enjoyed a beer for a few years (long time) then you have it via a different container and your like what the?

That’s the way cow & honeyweis hit my brain fun center.

Now head to my new post “do you recall why beer? Should be fun insight & humor related to beer.

For beer haters, please just avoid our silly, harmless babble..

crawdaddy
    Participant
    St. Paul MN

I think Guinness tastes the same in USA as in Ireland. Which is very good. My favorite over there was Beamish, unfortunately not available stateside. Murphys is good too.

mike mulhern
    Participant

I think bottled beer is the best as it can be hauled on a 4 wheeler all day long wrapped in padding and it will open and not foam all over the place. What a wonderful thing after a long days ride to the top of the mountain.

Mike

tomr
    Participant
    cottage grove, mn

Tap>Bottle>Can

Same here. Tap hands down, don’t know why just taste better to me.

tomr
    Participant
    cottage grove, mn

First beer was Schlitz malt colt 45.

Bassn Dan
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bassn Dan wrote:</div>
    I hate the tin taste when drinking from a can.

Cans are aluminum. Kegs are aluminum. roll

Would you be happier if I said “metallic?” Not exactly a secret that cans and kegs are aluminum…………..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.