Taking Kids Fishing

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

When it comes to getting kids on fish, I’ll have to admit that it’s been a learning experience that I’m still not a top student at. My boys are somewhat impartial to fishing, enjoying it for short bits of time, just depending on how they’re feeling that day. Some days, that can mean a few hours on the water. Others, we’ve barely left the launch and they already want to leave. Either way, here’s an article that has a few things that I’ve learned over the years:

http://goo.gl/p18mIT

Joel

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Great! My 3-year old has the bug, but his attention span is short. He wants fish NOW. Then, again, so do I. ) I’ve found that fishing from shore/pier is much easier (for us, at least) till he gets a little older.

The thrill he gets, though, is hard to top for a proud dad! Here’s one from Saturday. The kid is a crappie magnet.

Attachments:
    1. 20150516075537.jpg

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Pretty much what I have found out as well Joel. Only thing I would add, is take the ipad along when you would like to troll…. I know, its cheating but it allows me to stay out a little longer!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

First off, great photo Ryan!

We’ve taken our girls fishing since about the age of three.
    We always had a bucket so they could play with minnows and leeches. When they’re that young they don’t know that leeches are “scary” They don’t mind handling them now, unlike my wife and brother in law.

We were lucky to have a small trailer on a lake in so fishing from a dock was doable. The boat got better with time but as mentioned snacks and toys were important.

We never stayed out long, about an hour to begin with and increased it as time went on. We would always try to wrap it up when the sunnies were biting very well, sometimes even making them a little bummed out. I think what they always remembered the most was how the trip ended. If we were having fun and catching fish they were excited to go again and the flipside was if they were crabby and whiny that’s what they associated fishing with.

It sure is enjoyable to see the excitement through their eyes. My girls are in their mid twenties now and just love being on the water and fishing. They do their own knot tying, make spinner rigs, bait hooks and clean fish. Can you hear the pride?
    Be patient and have fun!

Fisherpaul

We got out for our first camping trip of the season at O’neil Creek Campground in Chippewa Falls this past weekend. I wish I would have had the camera ready. I was helping William my 2 year old hold his rod awhile he was cranking in his bobber and jig and I got hammered by a pike. The look on his face was priceless. HE lost it because his line was cut by it’s teeth. But it was funny when we got him cranked in because when he could finally talk the first thing out of his mouth was, “What was that daddy a Shark?” LOL. HE definitely likes fishing from shore for short periods of an hour or so. IT all he wanted to do every day when he first woke up and before bed time. I can’t wait until he lands his first big one!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

A beach on the st croix river is what I have settled for to get to spend times with the kids on the water. They run around, do what ever and I get to try and catch what ever swims by. My kids are teenagers now and it still amazes me how they entertain themselves for hours over there.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Thanks for posting Joel!

My little buddy turns 21 months tomorrow and we’ve been building up for our first trip since he was born. We watch fishing shows every weekend over breakfast – He can’t get enough and yells “Big fishy!” for anything from a bluegill to a 1000 lb Tuna, and when they get to the boat he yells “Caught ’em!” – and his favorite toy is a magnetic fishing pole. To make sure his first time out is an awesome first experience on the water I’ve been waiting for this weekend and the fantastic pan-fishing off the dock and my in-laws cabin… I can’t wait!

Will

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Good stuff, my nephew turns 4 this summer and loves fishing. We haven’t gone after anything but panfish yet. Any additional tips are appreciated, I’d like him to get into some eye’s asap! peace

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.